What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

I read somewhere earlier that the director of The Purge wants to make a new one each year! I'm not sure they'll allow him to after that first effort.

Wikipedia (I know) has its budget at $3 million with it making just over $89 million. I'd imagine that's why they'd be interested in making a second one.

I read somewhere earlier that the director of The Purge wants to make a new one each year! I'm not sure they'll allow him to after that first effort.

Much like the Saw franchise I suppose. Low budget, high return films to come out at Halloween.

Jack Reacher

It has been a long time since I have seen a film that has swung so often between "this is really good", to "f**k me this is bad". What a bizarre film! There are some really bad scenes and some ridiculously cheesy bits. On the whole I enjoyed it though, I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had known about the character and maybe read the books.

Cruise is a bad choice though, he plays the same type of character in in a few films and it would have been a good opportunity to use a Tom Hardy or Idris Elba type 'newcomer' to start a new franchise. Seeing Cruise automatically makes it a "seen this before" type film and it suffers because of that.

6/10

I quite liked Jack Reacher, as you say it has good and bad. Having read quite a few of the books though I don't think anything is added. In fact, I think it makes it harder to enjoy. Lee Child makes a pretty regular point of mentioning Reacher's size and his quiet, withdrawn demeanour i.e. not Tom Cruise. Hardy would have been a good shout actually.

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

An enjoyable movie. Of course it didn't make much sense in parts, but it wasn't supposed too. Was quite funny in parts too. Great acting from Johnny Depp and del Toro.

ps. Tobey Maguire's character makes my skin crawl.

7/10

Dallas Buyers Club

I usually struggle to sit through films that are over 90 minutes long, but managed too easily for this. That's probably because it started off at a terrific pace and kept it going along steadily throughout. They managed to make a good, exciting movie out of an idea which seemed bland and uneventful. It woul've been easy to make a boring heap of shite like The Insider, so well done to everyone involve for making an action-packed movie. Superb acting from everyone concerned, easy to see why the Oscars went the way they did.

8/10

Edited by Slim Charles

To kill a mockingbird

It's a classic and one of my favourites. Gregory Peck won an oscar for his portrayal of a lawyer defending a black man in the Deep South and rightly so. It's also a great book if you ever get the chance to read it.

10/10

West of Memphis 8/10

Superb documentary examining a small town murder case from a few years back. Brilliantly paced, gripping from start to finish, and some tragic human/community stories in the aftermath. Can't really say any more without giving anything away.

Black Swan 8/10

Seriously good fucked up Hitchcockian shenanigans. Loved the way the fan that the shit was hitting got progressively faster and was set to 'rotate' as the film neared its conclusion. Portman is utterly fantastic.

Edited by banana

West of Memphis 8/10

Superb documentary examining a small town murder case from a few years back. Brilliantly paced, gripping from start to finish, and some tragic human/community stories in the aftermath. Can't really say any more without giving anything away.

Black Swan 8/10

Seriously good fucked up Hitchcockian shenanigans. Loved the way the fan that the shit was hitting got progressively faster and was set to 'rotate' as the film neared its conclusion. Portman is utterly fantastic.

only found out recently the film is longer than 5mins long. I was shocked

Tangled 9/10

Great Disney movie, a cute film with lots of funny moments. Some decent songs aswell.

Frozen 9/10

Same as above. Can't get the soundtrack out of my head though. Those dastardly Disney b*****ds with their catchy songs.

Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Assembled National Treasures ambling through a fairly predictable but enjoyable little ensemble piece. Dev Patel pulling off a stereotypical Indian performance that would have him done under discrimination laws were he white, but pretty entertaining nonetheless. Acceptable viewing while catching up on the ironing - little concentration required. 6/10

Kings of Summer - "Quirky" teen drama/romcom that was nowhere near as smart as it would like to have been, and wasted a decent idea by the clunkiest of set-ups and a completely unnecessary teen romance tagged on. Over-obvious "nutty" junior partner in the main trio as well. Disappointing, as I'd heard good things. Does have "The Cowboy Song" over the opening scene, mind. 4/10 (and that's with one for the Lizzy track).

Son of Rambow - Now that's how to do quirky. From Eric Sykes in a wig to the flying dog, this one raised more than a few proper out-loud laughs. The French kid was a waste of screen-time, mind, although you can see the benefit of the whole exchange storyline in the context of the whole film. Excellent performance by Will Poulter, as well. 8/10

Mirrors 2 - no worse than the first, which was ok-ish. The wife tells me that the Korean original is better. Incidentally, did they ever find Nick Stahl, or is he still roaming the wilderness in a drug-induced frenzy, terrifying the simple Californian folk with his tales of cyborgs and agonising castration?

Saw Sinister again last night too, and maybe enjoyed it more than the first time. Has quite a nasty underlying tone, and the score is nicely effective. Looking forward to the sequel now, despite the likelihood of extreme suckage.

Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

An enjoyable movie. Of course it didn't make much sense in parts, but it wasn't supposed too. Was quite funny in parts too. Great acting from Johnny Depp and del Toro.

ps. Tobey Maguire's character makes my skin crawl.

7/10

BigFatTabbyWife loves this movie. Always managed to raise a smile on long car journey with a bit of, "we can't stop here, this is bat country!" back in the day.

Alright, I like it too :thumsup2

Buried Alive - sought this out as it was Frank Darabont's first feature as director, and he's awesome. Works quite well as the opening of a double feature, as it's an entertaining wee potboiler, but nothing really special. Also, Billy's dad from Gremlins! Don't remember ever seeing him in anything else.

The Ruins - one of the better killer plant movies :P

Felt seriously trolled when...

the sloppy bitch with the specs escaped at the end. Was waiting for her to die from a couple of minutes in.

House of the Dead - on a positive note, I remember Alone in the Dark being worse than this.

Pretty faithful to the video game, in that neither has much plot. Twentysomethings head for an island, then OMG UNCONVINCING ZOMBIES! Has all the artistic merit of a movie designed purely to make cash, masterminded by a director who has made a career out of optioning b-grade video game titles, presumably because the publishers actually paid him for the unexpected publicity. It looks like it might be funny-bad at the start due to the terrible delivery of poor dialogue, but quickly slides into a turgid, boring soup of apathy. Plenty of mediocre tits though.

Completely by accident, this is the third Jonathan Cherry movie I've seen in the last two weeks. This was the only one on the IMDB's Worst 100, however, so yay for him.

Demons 2 - an entertaining mix of pus, corrosive blood, sweaty muscle men, and appalling Eighties music and fashion. Nicely straddles the line between stupid and ridiculous, and is quite acceptable if you're in the mood for a gruesome, yet silly evening.

Also, this guy's awesome, though I'm not quite sure why.

demons2.jpg

Cockneys Vs Zombies - Not the biggest of budgets, or names*, but an enjoyable piece of nonsense just the same. Hammers vs. Millwall zombies raised a wee giggle. 7/10

*ETA: other than the sainted Richard Briers, obviously, darlings.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

To kill a mockingbird

It's a classic and one of my favourites. Gregory Peck won an oscar for his portrayal of a lawyer defending a black man in the Deep South and rightly so. It's also a great book if you ever get the chance to read it.

10/10

Good choice, one of my favourite books. Decent film too.