What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Fast and furious 6. All I heard about it was how it was much better than all the other ones and how it was actually a good film. It was on the tele so I decided to watch it. It was what you expect from a film about racing with vin diesel in it: horrible.

Vin's only lines seemed to be grumbling at some woman and just snarling in general.

Paul walker was worse. I don't think much needs to be said about him tbh.

The movie it's self was ridiculous, vin diesel flew through a fucking car windshield to catch a woman then landed on another car and was unharmed. What the f**k?

Diabolical film. 2/10

This Is The End - 2/10.

The 2 points are for Michael Cera's role alone. What an unbelievable pile of shite. I turned it off just after an hour. Just utterly horrible. So much comedic talent available that wasn't used well at all.

Agree with this. It's horrendous. James Franco doesn't half put his name to some absolute shite.

It was shot exactly the same as the first one, which had those slow motion scenes as well.

Slow motion beat downs and shagging to heavy guitar riffs? Spartacus was pretty big on using that as well.

Starred Up

Managed by chance to get into an advanced screening from this. A British prison drama by film4, about a kid who moves from juvenile to a main prison where his dad is serving a life sentence. Very slow at the start but not a bad film overall, some pretty funny one-liners at points.

7/10

Edited by the jambo-rocker

We took the wee man to see Need For Speed at the weekend as part of his birthday, and as were both (me and the wee man) car nuts, thoroughly enjoyed it,

It had what the Fast and Furious collection didn't, a front man who could actually act as i thought Aaron Paul was fantastic in it,

Not the best or most original story but the cars, action and Aaron Paul made up for it, definitely getting bought on blu-ray when it comes out!!

8.5/10

Edited by 1888bhoy67

We took the wee man to see Need For Speed at the weekend as part of his birthday, and as were both (me and the wee man) car nuts, thoroughly enjoyed it,

It had what the Fast and Furious collection didn't, a front man who could actually act as i thought Aaron Paul was fantastic in it,

Not the best or most original story but the cars, action and Aaron Paul made up for it, definitely getting bought on blu-ray when it comes out!!

8.5/10

I saw this last night. It was ok, watchable enough, but could've done with a better script and a better edit. It's better than the fast and furious films, but wouldn't score any more than a 5 for me.

The Double Life of Véronique

Love this film, 2nd time I've seen it. Was put onto it after watching the Three Colours trilogy. Irene Jacobs, who is also in TC:Red, is mesmerising.

So many different themes you can take from the film, but the overriding one for me was the allegory of East/West during that time and the sadness that many people had to endure purely from having the misfortune of being born behind the Iron Curtain.

One of those films you'll still be thinking about days after you've seen it.

9/10.

World War Z 6.5/10

Better than I thought it was going to be, after the slamming it got. Can't believe the mayhem when they shut George square, amounted to about 1 min of the actual film. Probably watch the sequel that has been announced.

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien on a mission the rid the universe of shell suited Glaswegians. A bit slow moving and not much really happens but it held my attention. A curiosity more than anything else. Oh, and Johansson looks pretty fucking hot.

6/10

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Under The Skin

Scarlett Johansson is an alien on a mission the rid the universe of shell suited Glaswegians. A bit slow moving and not much really happens but it held my attention. A curiosity more than anything else. Oh, and Johansson looks pretty fucking hot.

6/10

I heard this getting reviewed on the radio last week, apparently the guys she was picking up didn't know they were being filmed or it was Scarlett who was picking them up, don't know if that's bullshit though :unsure2:

I heard this getting reviewed on the radio last week, apparently the guys she was picking up didn't know they were being filmed or it was Scarlett who was picking them up, don't know if that's bullshit though :unsure2:

I think it's true for a couple of the guys she spoke to, as the way they spoke seemed pretty authentic.

The novelty of a major Hollywood star driving a transit van around Glasgow talking to ordinary punters certainly adds something to the film. It just wouldn't have felt the same if it was some unknown Scottish actress picking up guys from River City and Still Game.

Pinocchio

Had forgotten just how fucking insanely weird this film is. Watched it with my youngest nephew and couldn't take my eyes off it, bizarre. No one of the better Disney films.

Road to Perdition

Finally watched this after meaning to for years, good film with Tom Hanks playing more of a c**t than usual.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

What can I say? What an absolutely brilliant film. Stunning. Hadn't even fancied it that much from the adverts, just had a wee notion for it coupled with the rave reviews. Film of the year so far for me. Brilliantly written, directed, shot, acted, beautiful and funny from start to finish with a quirky and original feel all of its own - although if I had to make a comparison then I suppose Amelie wouod be the obvious one.

Awesome. Go see it.

Finally got round to seeing Wolf of Wall Street at the cinema. Excellent, loved it. Certainly didn't feel like a 3 hour film and I can't remember looking at my watch once. Highlight imho was the phenomenal Margot Robbie :wub:

I think if P&B was a company it would be something like Stratton Oakmont. Not so much the illegal trading stuff, but the partying and day to day office shenanigans!

Under The Skin

6/10

I went to see this on Friday. I'd read the book previously which I think took away from my enjoyment of it a bit as I was expecting reveals that never come. The book is quite different - it's set in the Highlands with the main character driving up and down the A9. There are important differences as well, that are difficult to go into without spoiling it

In the book the main character (Isserly) is basically a deformed alien who has been surgically altered to look human, rather than having a suit. She isn't as alluring as the Scarlett Johanssen (who is) and her isolation from her own race is a major part of the plot. There's a scene where Isserly's overseer appears and her lower status due to her changed body is made clear.

The novel also goes into detail about what is happening to the men who Isserly abducts - they are used as food, human flesh being a delicacy to the aliens. The way that the men are abducted is changed, in the book she just picks up hitchikers and incapacitates them with a weapon, whereas in the book she seduces them. There's an element of sex in the book (IIRC she has huge breast implants in the book, all the better to get men into the van with).

I'm not sure this makes it a worse film. Glazer has obviously taken elements of the plot and made it into a more stripped down film. I think if you tried to film some of the details that were cut out you'd have a very long and slightly silly film.

I enjoyed the film, despite the major differences. I liked the idea of Johanssen's alien nature, brutally demonstrated in the beach scene, eventually being stripped back by her increasing empathy I thought Johanssen gave an amazing performance, the way that she developed the character was believable and powerful. I liked the sections with the Glaswegians speaking to her, very funny for a Scottish audience. Did they deliberately put the guy she picked up on teh way home from the Celtic game in a Hibs top? :lol:

Overall, I'd give it 8/10.

It can't go without saying, Scarlett Johanssen has to be one of the most beautiful people on earth. Some of the scenes when she's naked are almost literally 'jaw, meet floor'.

I liked the sections with the Glaswegians speaking to her, very funny for a Scottish audience. Did they deliberately put the guy she picked up on teh way home from the Celtic game in a Hibs top? :lol:

It can't go without saying, Scarlett Johanssen has to be one of the most beautiful people on earth. Some of the scenes when she's naked are almost literally 'jaw, meet floor'.

Good write up. Two days later I'm still thinking about this film and I can't decide if I enjoyed it or not. Under The Skin indeed.

You're right about the clips where she speaks to Glaswegians. :thumsup2

I'd never really paid much attention to Johansson before but since watching this film... :wub:

I liked the sections with the Glaswegians speaking to her, very funny for a Scottish audience. Did they deliberately put the guy she picked up on teh way home from the Celtic game in a Hibs top? :lol:

I haven't seen the film, but I read that those scenes were all done with genuine unsuspecting strangers, filmed with several hidden cameras, so the guy probably was a Hibs fan.

I haven't seen the film, but I read that those scenes were all done with genuine unsuspecting strangers, filmed with several hidden cameras, so the guy probably was a Hibs fan.

I read that the scene outside Parkhead was filmed on the same day as a 0-0 draw with Hibs. A quick check online reveals this to be 29/10/2011. Some of the scenes with important plot points were filmed using pro actors though. One of the guys was in The Angel's Share.