What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Just back from seeing Terry Gilliam's new film, The Zero Theorem, with Christopher Waltz at the GFT.

There was a Q+A session with Gilliam directly after. Sadly, with all the film critics, film students, film buffs and sooks in the cinema, I didn't have the courage to ask what the f**k it was all about. Still, nice visuals. 6/10.

In fact, no - 7/10. But only cos of the actress Melanie Thierry... top French babe.

Somewhere

Stephen Dorff plays a depressed/disillusioned actor living in LA whose daughter turns up to stay with him for a few weeks. Not much happens other than him bonding with his daughter in between pumping various women. Really enjoyed this though. Can imagine some people being bored by it but I thought it was great. Have to mark it down for the way it ended though which was just strange.

7/10

Edited by JamboMikey

We're the Millers

Had very low expectations but it was actually a half decent watch. Almost instantly forgettable (apart from Jen Aniston's stripper scenes) but it was funny enough to maintain interest.

6/10

12 Years A Slave

Brutal, depressing film but also really compelling. One of those ones that is really hard to watch at times. Few of the bits genuinely where making me turn away from the screen. Incredibly humbling to think horrific things like this where going on in our own backyard in the fairly recent past and still go on in places to this day.

Great performances all round but thought Fassbender was probably the stand out. Only drawback was that it was supposed to span over 12 years and really didn't feel like that at all. Probably needed an extra hour.

8/10

Monsters

Film about a photo journalist that is in Mexico to photograph aliens that have colonised part of the country and ends up getting roped into bringing his boss' daughter back across the zone filled with aliens to get home to the US.

Really good film. Shot with only the 2 actors and 5 crew. All the filming was done on location and all the other actors were just people that they grabbed from round and about.

The main characters are played by the guy Scoot McNairy ( :lol:) and his real life wife so they obviously had good chemistry together and despite the film having giant, tentacled aliens its really a character film about those two.

The director made all the special effects on his home computer so they're a bit ropey but it doesn't really affect things too much.

7/10

Edited by JamboMikey

Thor 2 the dark world.

The gf suggested we finally watch it, i was like happy days.

Keeps up the same quality of filming of the other avengers movies, i.e iron man, captain america etc.

Maybe not as good as the first one but kept me hooked for the majority of the film. Loki is a great character and you can never tell whether to trust him or not. Hemsworth is friggin buff as again, acting not amazing (expected him to be a lot more angry when he discovers his mother dead) but thats not what these films are about.

The effects for the weird portal grenades the dark elves threw were pretty cool.

Just the right length and not many particularly slow sections.

As usual there was a small cameo for Stan lee which i always look forward to finding in the films plus the after credits scenes leave you guessing for next film.

8/10

Thor 2 the dark world.

The gf suggested we finally watch it, i was like happy days.

Keeps up the same quality of filming of the other avengers movies, i.e iron man, captain america etc.

Maybe not as good as the first one but kept me hooked for the majority of the film. Loki is a great character and you can never tell whether to trust him or not. Hemsworth is friggin buff as again, acting not amazing (expected him to be a lot more angry when he discovers his mother dead) but thats not what these films are about.

The effects for the weird portal grenades the dark elves threw were pretty cool.

Just the right length and not many particularly slow sections.

As usual there was a small cameo for Stan lee which i always look forward to finding in the films plus the after credits scenes leave you guessing for next film.

8/10

The after credits tie directly into the Guardians of the Galaxy film