What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Seth Rogen does his schtick well enough, and thought Bad Neighbors was definitely one of his better efforts. Really enjoyed it.

The Den ( 2013 )

Right. This is a found footage movie, but this one is incredibly frustrating. There's always improbable camera holding in every single one of these types of movie, but this one really does take the biscuit in this regard. However, it DOES do well with the premise which isn't a bad one, so I'm more willing to forgive it for it's horrendous flaws. The first 10 minutes do great things with the idea, which makes the following turn in tone a bit of a sucker punch, and it works. The rest of the movie doesn't really live up to that, but there's enough of a good thing here.

7/10

A Hard Day's Night

This is a landmark film. One of the biggest products of the sixties was a music revolution, and that gave birth to the mass use of popular music in movies. The Beatles were a massive part of that, and they are the subject of this film, the original mock-rockumentary, following the band on gig day. They get into all kinds of incidents trying to get out their boring hotel room, attending Paul's trouble-making granddad, getting chased by girls and going AWOL just minutes before the concert...will they all make it to the show on time? That's not worth giving a second thought.

It plays almost like a sketch show- the "plot" is absolutely bizarre, involving some very cheap and cheesy comedy, and John, Paul, George and Ringo can't act but that doesn't matter: this is an embodiment of an important and iconic part of our cultural history, wonderfully shot in black-and-white by a very commercial director, Richard Lester. It's also non-stop fun to enjoy, even 50 years after its release, but all of that plays second string to the main attraction, and the thing I enjoyed the most about the film: the music.

8/10

Bad neighbours - 4/10

Her choice. Had a few laughs during it but I can stand Seth rogan. I'm shocked there could be a more one dimensional actor than arnie!

There's a common theme here, women can't pick decent films!!

I thought it was decent.

Couple of decent laughs and passed away a couple of hours, so did its job.

Let's Be Cops 8/10

Ok it may be because I've had my first couple of pints in about 3 years and am half cut, but I loved this bad boy. Great concept and shitloads of highlights.

b*****ds/Les Salauds - Parisian returns home after his sister's husband dies, and attempts to find out who perpetrated a vicious sexual assault on his niece.

I'll be honest - I don't have a fucking clue what was going on in this film. It seemed to jump around quite a bit, and both myself and the wife felt quite dim for being unable to follow it. My best interpretation is that it's a French version of Get Carter, if Michael Caine had shrugged a lot and done practically nothing, except shag the bad guy's wife. Entirely possible I missed some brilliance here, but I found it all a little tedious.

Thanks to christophe for the...recommendation, I guess? Didn't notice any actual corn penetration though, only the bloody aftermath :shutup

Spider-Man 3

Yeah we all know it isn't a great film, but watching it now you see the CGI is terrible,

It's kinda fun if you like Sam Raimi's films in general. But a massive waste of Venom.

Think they probably overstretched with the CG. I vaguely remember that the giant Sandman bits look a bit blurry. But I thought the acclaimed CG in the second film was quite poor, in that Spidey and Doc Ock moved very strangely in the fight scenes.

It helps if you're a video game player, I think - I've spent thirty years overlooking less-than-photorealistic visuals :lol:

forehead7, on 21 Sept 2014 - 17:10, said:

Pretty much this. Efron and Franco were great in it.

And the fucking De Niro scene.

The De Niro scene. :lol: Absolutely brilliant stuff that is.

Not sure if it tops the airbag scenes. Especially the first one in the office. Absolutely brilliant.

Fear ( 1996 )

Reese Witherspoon is some innocent girl, and Mark Wahlberg is a bit of a creepy new boyfriend. That's yer story, and to be fair, it's not bad. Especially the boyfriend's interactions with other people, and her dad in particular. So aye, I liked it.

7/10

Just finished Sexy Beast. Watched it so many times, easily one of my favourite films. Brilliantly quotable.

Don Logan. What a character.

"I gotta change my shirt, it's sticking to me. I'm sweating like a c**t" :lol:

Never been particularly enamoured with Sexy Beast but, by Christ, is Ben Kingsley memorable!

He does dreck like Ender's Game to pay the bills, but give the man a decent role and it's a home run every time.

Lost in Translation - Excellent lead performances from Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson in what is a genuinely wonderful film. The karaoke scene is perfect.

The Virgin Suicides - Not as good as Lost in Translation, but Sophia Coppola can still list this one proudly on her Filmography. Kirsten Dunst gives a performance up there with the ones she gave in Melancholia and Interview with the Vampire.

The Girl Next Door - At times, as uncomfortable a watch as any of the likes of Martyrs, Irreversible and A Serbian Film. This one will stay with me for a while.

The Girl Next Door - At times, as uncomfortable a watch as any of the likes of Martyrs, Irreversible and A Serbian Film. This one will stay with me for a while.

The wife put this on when I was feeling down one night, and I was about ready for the gin and paracetamol by the end, despite already being familiar with the story behind it.

So yeah, quality stuff for those of us that like to mentally self-harm.

The Den ( 2013 )

Right. This is a found footage movie, but this one is incredibly frustrating. There's always improbable camera holding in every single one of these types of movie, but this one really does take the biscuit in this regard. However, it DOES do well with the premise which isn't a bad one, so I'm more willing to forgive it for it's horrendous flaws. The first 10 minutes do great things with the idea, which makes the following turn in tone a bit of a sucker punch, and it works. The rest of the movie doesn't really live up to that, but there's enough of a good thing here.

7/10

Enjoyed this quite a bit. Had a similar feel to Megan is Missing, which is worth a look too. Thanks for the recommendation.