What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Managed in past two weeks to polish off three of the best picture nominations.

Birdman - 8.5/10 - A pretty special film and one that I loved more the more I mulled it over the following days. One of a kind.

Whiplash - 7/10 - Well acted and enjoyable but wouldn't call it a classic. J K Simmons is far and away the best thing about it. Dat last ten minutes though. Ooft.

Boyhood - 7/10 - Very soulful piece of work. Towards the end found some of the dialogue a bit irritating but the project was very well put together. Everyone talks about the kids ageing but the transition with the adults is really immense also.

Only other of the best film noms I've seen is Grand Budapest, but Birdman for me deserves it for me.

Edited by mrcat1990

Whiplash

Great film, it's like a rollercoaster ride and agree the last 10 minutes are so electrifying you leave the cinema exhausted. Special mention to JK Simmons in the role of Fletcher, just brilliant a he does a great sadistic drill sergeant impression. Highly recommended.

9/10

Whiplash

Great film, it's like a rollercoaster ride and agree the last 10 minutes are so electrifying you leave the cinema exhausted. Special mention to JK Simmons in the role of Fletcher, just brilliant a he does a great sadistic drill sergeant impression. Highly recommended.

9/10

Just finished watching this. Astonishing film in every sense. Should be winning several awards come Oscar time including one for JK Simmons

Big Hero 6 8/10

Pretty great this and in Baymax, probably Pixar's best character in a while. Funny, heartwarming, action packed. Yeah, proper good stuff.

Grand Budapest Hotel 8/10

I love all of Wes Anderson's films and this hasn't broken the trend. Ralph was superb.

Big Hero 6

Phenomenal stuff from Disney yet again. This is a company whose animation studio is definitely in the midst of another golden age for me. By my reckoning, they've knocked up out thecpark in their last 4 feature movies. Tangled, Wreck it Ralph, Frozen and now this. They could have been left behind by their Pixar colleagues, but instead they are rising up and meeting, even surpassing them.

Just my opinion, obviously, but I can't be the only one horrified by that sentence.

Took me a bit of dicking around, but you have to change the DNS settings on your router to make the website think you're in the US. You can find free DNS servers to point to, but Netflix block them regularly (apparently), so there are places that you can pay for access to DNS servers which are guaranteed to work. I signed up with Unblock-US but others are available. Then, you just go to the NetFlix app (or website) and the US selection comes up. You'll know the difference as the recommended titles will be full of stuff that doesn't come up in the UK.

It's one of those loopholes that NetFlix currently don't give a shit about. They have licences to show certain titles in certain regions, but no doubt they tell the licencees that they've taken steps to restrict access from other regions (which they have), and that'll continue until the right holders start kicking up a big stink about it. In other words, they don't ban anyone for doing this :P

I have Hola for my laptop, I was fannying about with the DNS on my Xbox but I think you may have just solved my problem with this App BFTD. 8)

Full metal jacket - 9/10

Great film, the general had me in stitches from the word go, the story itself was nicely written, had me on the edge the whole way through. Just brilliant

Think you mean the drill sergeant at basic training. The guy who did that wasn't an actor but a former soldier they initially hired as a consultant. Think they could have used a couple more guys like that, because the film loses its edge a bit after he gets shot by Vincent D'Onofrio's character and the action moves to Vietnam.

Over the last week I've seen....

Taken 3 - exactly what I wanted it to be and exactly what I expected. Kept me interested through out although the 'twist' was not a shock in the slightest. Always love how Neeson despite being rather slow can out run cops/bad guys no matter where he is. 6/10.

Foxcatcher - I honestly have no clue how I rate the film. I enjoyed it but it has to be one of the slowest films I've seen and in the end the pay off is very quick. Felt Carrel and Ruffalo were fantastic though - considering every Carrel film/tv show I've seen he plays a comedic role he did a fantastic job in a serious role. The Hulk was fantastic as the brother though and the interview scene he did was very well acted. Gonna play it safe and give it a 6/10 as well but on second viewing that might change.

Watched a couple more.

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind - retro tunes, bit of an ecological bent on it but all in all very good. Watched the English dub, which boasts a star-studded line-up from Patrick Stewart to Uma Thurman. 7/10

My Neighbour Totoro - Pretty much all my friends recommended this film. Good feelings throughout, No bad guys, no scary twists.. just a lot of fun and the animations were cute. 7/10

Hobbit no 1 - bit long, light-hearted. Really different from lotr but reasonably fun 7/10

Started watching hobbit no 2 but got a bit bored, noticed it was ~3 hours long too, so cut it off around the hour mark..