What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Last Boy Scout

I missed this at the time, and it is known for being a turkey but I'd also heard that it was unfairly criticised and was a decent film. I thought it was a bit shit. The plot was nonsense, which you can forgive if the performances are good and the writing is decent, which you would hope with Shane Black doing the screenplay. It was cliched and quite boring, Willis and Wayans were wooden, particularly Wayans but I don't think the script did them any favours. 5/10-(An extra point for Halle Berry looking sensationally good) 

Central Intelligence - 5/10. Far better than it looks. Not a fan of The Rock, but he was the main source of laughs in this. Mindless fun, but a decent watch.

The BFG - 7/10. One of my favourite books when I was younger, this could have been so much better, but I can't help feeling like Spielberg played it too safe. Still an enjoyable watch, but came out feeling like he had missed a trick.

6 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

like Spielberg played it too safe. Still an enjoyable watch, but came out feeling like he had missed a trick.

That's what I thought about it. Had all the threat and menace of an episode of Teletubbies. Just too insipid and nice for me. 

Star Trek Beyond

Not even a lack of JJ Abrams can stop lens flare within 2 seconds of the movie starting. In all seriousness though, this is a fun ride. A fun start followed by what seems like a constant stream of action which can be a bit too overwhelming at times, especially with Justin Lin's long spinning shots determined to bring on nausea. Some pretty shite CGI at one point too, which was a shame as for the most part, the movie looks excellent. On the whole it's a good blockbuster.

7/10

Jason Bourne

The main plot isn't the best and is just a desperate attempt to try and keep the shocks coming with the whole Treadstone thing. Interesting stuff on the side though. Main CIA agent is bland. Tommy Lee Jones is wonderful, but is actually upstaged by the uber-henchman in Vincent Cassel. The action is fucking tremendous at times. The big final action scene is up there with the best in the series. Really enjoyed the internet mogul in it as well. Once it got past the first 15 minutes, things rolled along quite nicely and ended up really enjoying it.

8/10

I've purchased The Bourne Trilogy. I know it's well liked but I'm bored shitless by the likes of Bond etc. I don't like formulaic action films. Will I be pleasantly surprised with these? Purchased them because I'm a big Damon fan.

The trilogy is actually quite good. The first one is pretty well character driven with great action. The second one leans a little more to action and the third is totally fucking balls to the wall. I find the whole "EVERYONE IS SUPER SERIOUS!!!" of the acting to be a bit tiresome, as well as the dialogue which at times sounds like Aaron Sorkin if he was a simpleton. When it focused on action later in the game, it tended to be at it's best. Was a bit more level in the first two.

I'd definitely recommend them all though. Especially the third which is just a tremendous ride.

Apologies if I have already posted this (the app is too slow for me to waste time checking back) but I watched Too Big to Fail about 10 days ago and thought it was a brilliant film - 8/10.

Started to finally use my Netflix and I also watched a documentary film called Team Foxcatcher which was the story of the downfall of philanthropist John Du Pont. Pretty good 6/10.

Notes on Blindness  6/10

Quite limited but interesting film, done a bit like The Arbor with actors lip synching the main guys audio diaries. Proper insight in to the reality of going blind that i hadn't really thought about (like what happens as your memories of people and places fade).

Embrace of the Serpent 7.5/10

Native peoples in Colombia getting screwed by the man (industrial colonialists) in the early C20th whilst German people come and try and nick their secret mystical plants. Quite moving without just sentimentalising

•  
Edited by Christophe

Chevalier 6.5/10

A load of Greeks challenge each other to stupid competitions on a boat, at the start they all seemed quite annoying but by the end it was reasonably endearing and kind of amusing even though they were still all basically dickheads