What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Sing. The bar is set pretty high for kids films these days. Thought this was poor. Think they'd been making it for six years and it shows. Not because it's good but because it's dated already. Liked the wee nod to the Queens of the Stone Age "Go With The Flow" video though with a set of villains driving the same pickup truck. 

5/10

The Purge is a genuine contender for worst movie ever. The next two are pretty good movies, which went to show what could be done if that concept gets expanded a wee bit.

I don't think the first one was all that bad tbh, (as the second one wasn't significantly better) just got a bit boring with it all being set in Ethan Hawkes house.

Manchester by the Sea is a masterpiece and Casey Affleck should win every award going for his performance. The subject matter is utterly harrowing, but the writing and acting are so good that I could easily watch it over and over again. Best film I've seen in a while.

Manchester by the Sea is a masterpiece and Casey Affleck should win every award going for his performance. The subject matter is utterly harrowing, but the writing and acting are so good that I could easily watch it over and over again. Best film I've seen in a while.

Not an easy watch at all but agree with all of the above. The street scene with Affleck and Michelle Williams was heartbreaking.

Not an easy watch at all but agree with all of the above. The street scene with Affleck and Michelle Williams was heartbreaking.

Yeah, that was really hard to watch, phenomenally acted. Best scene for me though was after he'd spoken to the police in the station and he was walking out. Absolutely harrowing stuff.

Straight outta Compton

Iv had this downloaded for about 4 months and never had the 2 plus hours to sit and watch it. Really enjoyed it. Not entirely sure how true to life it really was but having 2 of the members of N.W.A directing it makes me think it's got to be pretty spot on. It certainly looked like they had fun [emoji3]

8/10

I seen a report on the incident in Detroit, sounds a lot worse than it looked in film.

Any link mate?

It's not one I can find but it was a while ago, seems to have been rubbished however and it was altered for the movie.

http://m.metrotimes.com/city-slang/archives/2015/08/17/the-real-story-behind-nwas-straight-outta-compton-detroit-riot

This link tells the truth where they did get back to the hotel but were arrested later, another link (on buzzfeed) says that Eazy E and Ren weren't told they song was being performed and Ice Cube & Dre both decided beforehand. They were told it wasn't gunshots they heard but kids setting off firecrackers, not sure if that's true or not however, be a bit random for them to be letting them off during a concert I'd think.

Snowden

Oliver Stone's film about Edward Snowden who blew the whistle on the NSA's illegal surveillance techniques. It's a pretty decent film that shows how and why Snowden felt he had to leak the story. It goes along at a good pace and the final act is gripping as he goes undercover with the help of some journalists to get his evidence out in the open then he has to go on the run as they try to arrest him.

8/10

Arrival - started off with a pretty intriguing concept and creates some suspense early on but it turned out to be a Nolanesque silly film masquerading as a clever film, creating a bit of tedium as a result. I would say that I haven't seen Interstellar, so I have no idea if that's similar or any good, but I presume it would be similar.  

There are a number of issues with Arrival, but I'd say the main one is incredibly advanced aliens coming to Earth 3000 years in advance of an emergency and not having a plan for communicating with us (or anyone from a country where English isn't spoken and who is therefore a trigger-happy warmonger). In fact, the aliens' understanding of time is a bit like the Tralfamadorians from Slaughterhouse 5, if anyone has read it. That being the case, you'd think they'd already understand both English and Mandarin, having already learnt it in the future. 

Anyway, the acting is decent enough, it looks good, the first 45mins or so are reasonable enough and it was a bit better than Silence which I believe I gave 4/10, so 6/10. 

Edited by The OP

1 hour ago, The OP said:

Arrival - started off with a pretty intriguing concept and creates some suspense early on but it turned out to be a Nolanesque silly film masquerading as a clever film, creating a bit of tedium as a result. I would say that I haven't seen Interstellar, so I have no idea if that's similar or any good, but I presume it would be similar.  

There are a number of issues with Arrival, but I'd say the main one is incredibly advanced aliens coming to Earth 3000 years in advance of an emergency and not having a plan for communicating with us (or anyone from a country where English isn't spoken and who is therefore a trigger-happy warmonger). In fact, the aliens' understanding of time is a bit like the Tralfamadorians from Slaughterhouse 5, if anyone has read it. That being the case, you'd think they'd already understand both English and Mandarin, having already learnt it in the future. 

Anyway, the acting is decent enough, it looks good, the first 45mins or so are reasonable enough and it was a bit better than Silence which I believe I gave 4/10, so 6/10. 

Agree with all of the above. Despite suspending my belief for the aliens visiting Earth part of the film,

I still don't know how learning a language can make you see the future.

Decent enough though.

The Last King

Set in 12th century Norway and starring the big ginger guy that plays Tormund in GOT.

About trying to save the murdered kings baby son. Was ok but never really got going. A bit like Wildlings on skis V the Boltons

5/10

American Honey - 18 year old leaves her existing life behind to join a group of 10-12 similar aged people to travel across mid west US selling magazine subscriptions door to door to fund a fairly hedonistic lifestyle.  Part coming of age/part road movie and reminded me of a milder version of Kids at times.  Thought it was very good but others fill find it overlong at around 2hrs 45 mins without any real stroryline.  7.5/10.

(23, 24, 25)

Stalker 8.5/10

Put onto this through a conversation on the reddit classical music section where i went to ask about this very specific chord change in the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th that had always astonished me. Where i asked the guys there "is this very particular movement in the 9th a THING? Do other people think it's something different/godly?" and some guy comes back with "yes, it's quite well known to be transcendental, check out this scene from 'Stalker'...so in this scene in 'Stalker' a man is in a room while Beethoven's 9th plays in the background/diegetic and someone's explaining it to him and they refer to that VERY PARTICULAR section. The movie itsef is quite good, still chewing it over, will have to rewatch soon already. I thought the ending (the wife speaking into camera) was incredibly effective. And the use of sound! The bit where they are on the thing just entering the zone. Incredible.

The Shout 7/10

Incredibly silly in places, very disquieting in others. John Hurt is excellent and believable, Alan Bates is excellent and unbelievable. Wonderful fun.

Sing Street 7/10

Sweet and cheesy little Irish film playing on Netflix about a boy who falls for a girl and forms a band to win her heart. Set in 1985, there's that hint of nostalgia that we all love. It's funny, it's heart-warming, the songs are fun in a pastiche-y kind of way. Really liked it. Not one for you cold-hearted b*****ds. It's basically a new Commitments/Once