What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Lady Bird -- the perfect antidote to the god-awful Death Wish. Just impeccable performances from the cast. I can imagine being young and watching this and thinking it your generation's Breakfast Club. 9/10

(35)

Sweet Country 8/10

Really liked this! Them days (1920s) Northern Territory Australia. Sam Neill is this proper right on landowner who doesn’t drink, smoke or swear and is best mates with his Abo’ helper (“blackfellas” is the vernacular of the film). All the other honkies (“whitefellas”) think he’s a bit of a soft touch. Anyway, something happens, then something elseand it ends up being a sort of “birth of a nation” new era dawning, meditation on retribution and race and a bit about pioneer justice. The Abo’ ends up getting tried for a crime (not giving anything away cos that’s revealed at the start) but that’s probably the least important bit of it. Basically tho it’s whitefellas exploiting blackfellas and blackfellas keeping their heads down. Really well done, imo, and covers a lot of ground really well. Weaves in a lot of really quite complicated themes. Probably most interestingly the effects of acculturation on blackfellas who have to (reluctantly) interact with whitefellas. All done without ramming them down your throat.

Only criticisms: i) it’s about 10 minutes too long. ii) The Sam Neill character is too flippin right on! (though there is one bit where he acts in maybe a slightly cowardly fashion, but even that is very much portrayed as a noble act. So you have to really think to think of it as self serving).

A solid 8/10! (cinema)

Edited by Christophe

On 07/03/2018 at 14:32, wellinwigan said:

Red sparrow

6/10

Not to bad spy thriller.J law gets her tits out but at nearly 2 and half hours a bit overly long

Went to see it on Thursday, I agree a bit too long. Decent enough script, but the sexual scenes were a bit ott imo. 

7/10

(37)

Not Another Teen Movie 6/10

Another one that popped up on Netflix, I have seen it a couple of times before, it’s easily the best out of the Scary Movie/Epic Movie etc genre of parody films, in this case as you might expect it’s the John Hughes ouevre that is lovingly sent up, except this time it has a self-contained story which is very well done and used to hang the parodies on rather than the other way around. This is honestly very funny, not as good as Three Amigos though obviously. Token black guy, mysterious janitor (Mr. T!), popular jock (Evans), ugly pretty girl, nasty cheerleader (Jaime Pressley), obsessed best friend, dumb fat guy, white guy who thinks he’s Chinese, deadbeat dad (Randy Quaid!), the foreign exchange student, the guy who keeps trying to start the slow handclap, and so on and so forth. Just lots and lots of fun. 

Edited by Christophe

(38)

You Were Never Really There 7/10

Hard to know what to make of this one, some very interesting ideas and great individual scenes, very imaginative and did a great job of evoking a really nasty atmosphere, the central character was an interesting one and I did think Joaquin did a bloody good job of playing it, my only reservation is the actual story itself was disappointingly generic which is a shame because had it been a bit more original it would have been a hell of a film, still worth seeing tho. (cinema)

55 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(38)

You Were Never Really There 7/10

Hard to know what to make of this one, some very interesting ideas and great individual scenes, very imaginative and did a great job of evoking a really nasty atmosphere, the central character was an interesting one and I did think Joaquin did a bloody good job of playing it, my only reservation is the actual story itself was disappointingly generic which is a shame because had it been a bit more original it would have been a hell of a film, still worth seeing tho. (cinema)

Really looking forward to this one. Loves me some Lynne Ramsey.

I’d say the very definition of “Best Picture” in any given year, and indeed the criteria is to be better than all the rest...what are you suggesting the criteria be? Outstanding on its own merits?? What on earth are you on about? It’s not a Hall of Fame, it’s quite literally the Best Picture Of 2018/17/16/15 delete as appropriate!
I just finding it amusing that a film can have the label "best picture" and still be crud. Typical Oscar shite though. Pretentious.

Looking backwards at the best picture awards, Forrest Gump in 1994 was excellent. Braveheart in 95 was great. Everything else is just gash. Ill hold judgement on The Departed since but f**k me Oscar wankers are dipshits.

La La Land and The Shape of Water were brutal films, with much better candidates to win the 'Best Picture'.

La La Land never won it. They just read out the wrong winner, you should have kept watching before switching over [emoji14]

13 hours ago, Christophe said:

(37)

Not Another Teen Movie 6/10

Another one that popped up on Netflix, I have seen it a couple of times before, it’s easily the best out of the Scary Movie/Epic Movie etc genre of parody films, in this case as you might expect it’s the John Hughes ouevre that is lovingly sent up, except this time it has a self-contained story which is very well done and used to hang the parodies on rather than the other way around. This is honestly very funny, not as good as Three Amigos though obviously. Token black guy, mysterious janitor (Mr. T!), popular jock (Evans), ugly pretty girl, nasty cheerleader (Jaime Pressley), obsessed best friend, dumb fat guy, white guy who thinks he’s Chinese, deadbeat dad (Randy Quaid!), the foreign exchange student, the guy who keeps trying to start the slow handclap, and so on and so forth. Just lots and lots of fun. 

A great film! 

"Looks like 'Mr Isn't First String Anymore' isn't first string anymore!"

Had the sheer joy of introducing both daughters to The Godfather. Has been a couple of years since I watched it last, it just gets better with every viewing. They totally loved it and are now looking forward to the next two.
Some great lines and performances, just perfection- the absolute pinnacle of movie making.

2 hours ago, Crroma said:

Looking backwards at the best picture awards, Forrest Gump in 1994 was excellent. Braveheart in 95 was great. Everything else is just gash. Ill hold judgement on The Departed since but f**k me Oscar wankers are dipshits.

You realise that people are allowed to enjoy movies that you don't enjoy, right?

People are allowed to enjoy, or disregard whatever they want. Just because things win Oscars doesnt mean you have to choose between staying silent or lavishing praise.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:19, Crroma said:

Yet another film whose Academy Award for Best Picture proves that to win the best award in Cinema you just have to be better than all the rest rather than outstanding on your own merits.

You see. There's a difference between negative opinions and shite like the above. According to the academy, No Country for Old Man WAS outstanding. Infact, plenty of others think it's the case as well. That they've done better movies isn't really relevant to how good this one is. I'd say it was a terrific movie.