What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

No doubt plenty people enjoyed it mate. I need an actual ending to call a movie terrific rather than just alright but that doesn't apply to everyone.

You say this as a qualified individual who can pass judgment on the subtle merits of an Oscar winning film, aye?

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

La La Land and The Shape of Water were brutal films, with much better candidates to win the 'Best Picture'.

Agree The Shape is Water was a misstep, usually they do alright though. Last years winner WAS excellent (not La La Land)

I loved the ending to No Country, it’s not a story, those guys had life’s and the tale goes on, too many stories sweetly wrapped up so this was a breath of fresh air for me. Also it was an adapted screenplay and mirrored the source.

Edited by Christophe

Its difficult not to sound like a c**t with the opinion I'm putting out here and Christophe makes an excellent point so let's just say it didn't work for me and call it a day.

I enjoyed The Shape of Water well enough, but out of the nominees, I think Lady Bird, and probably Get Out, were better movies. And of course nothing was better than Paddington 2 last year.

16 minutes ago, MSU said:

I enjoyed The Shape of Water well enough, but out of the nominees, I think Lady Bird, and probably Get Out, were better movies. And of course nothing was better than Paddington 2 last year.

Was just thinking the same at the weekend. Really enjoyed Three Billboards, Get Out and Lady Bird (the Oscar nominees I've seen) but wouldn't put any of them above Paddington 2. 

52 minutes ago, MSU said:

I'd agree with all of this. Would say Three Billboards is at least as good as Shape of Water as well.

Edit: Having said that, I love Sally Hawkins.

Edited by Kyle

I'd say:

1. Call Me By Your Name
  2. Lady Bird
  3. Three Billboards
  4. Get Out
  5. The Shape of Water
  6. Dunkirk
  7. The Post
  8. Phantom Thread

9. Darkest Hour

I loved the top five, though, and thought 6-8 were pretty great. 

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Will give Shape of Water a go tonight. I've attempted Lady Bird twice. I'm not long in but I'm struggling. Is it a slow start or am I just not getting it?

I don't recall it picking up that much. It is more a series of short vignettes looking into "Lady Bird's" life, giving small yet beautiful payoffs as it goes on. If the characters haven't clicked with you yet, I wouldn't really bother carrying on.

I don't recall it picking up that much. It is more a series of short vignettes looking into "Lady Bird's" life, giving small yet beautiful payoffs as it goes on. If the characters haven't clicked with you yet, I wouldn't really bother carrying on.

I'm talking about 10 minutes I think. We've just met her pal at school. I'll stick with it as I think Saorise Ronan is a cracking actor.

On 11/03/2018 at 23:51, Christophe said:

(38)

You Were Never Really There 7/10

Hard to know what to make of this one, some very interesting ideas and great individual scenes, very imaginative and did a great job of evoking a really nasty atmosphere, the central character was an interesting one and I did think Joaquin did a bloody good job of playing it, my only reservation is the actual story itself was disappointingly generic which is a shame because had it been a bit more original it would have been a hell of a film, still worth seeing tho. (cinema)

Forgot to add that the whole way through I was thinking what a great score, really jarring and unusual, turns out it was only bladdy Greenwood again he IS good at scores

12 minutes ago, Christophe said:

(39)

Annihilation 7.5/10

A cross between Stalker and Predator. Really good! (Netflix)

Really weird that this didn't get a theatrical release in the UK and instead goes straight to Netflix like The Cloverfield Paradox. There's a Guardian piece that suggests the studio was worried it was too brainy for audiences, which is pretty insulting. I thought it was great, too. Deserved to be seen on a big screen.