What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Solo.

A fan letter to the Star Wars genre. Donald Glover is great, Emilia Clarke isn’t. She really is rotten at acting. The guy playing Solo plays Harrison Ford but less so. Perfectly acceptable. There’s a cracking 90 minute film in there, but runs at more than two. Decent afternoon’s entertainment but no more. 5/10.

Edit: not that it should be a surprise to anyone, but there’s either a pointless sequel on the way or another spin off with most of the same characters.

Edited again: the baddy is lame.

Saw it earlier, you're absolutely spot on.

On 01/06/2018 at 21:37, Swordfishtrombone said:

Re-watched 'Heat' on Netflix which I thought was a great film when I saw it as a teenager in the 90's.  I thought it was really boring, completely devoid of any wit or humour to lighten up how boring the story is.  It was a disappointment, Micheal Mann's films tend to be a bit mediocre. Quality ponytail from Val Kilmer though. 5/10

Heat was a remake of an earlier Michael Mann film LA Takedown. Worth a look if you can find it. Kind of like Manhunter and Red Dragon. 

(87)

Hors Satan 7/10

French mystery drama about a strange drifter living on the edge of a small rural community. 

Symbolism heavy (it is French) and director Bruno Dumont absolutely loves weird looking people, gives this drama set in an unglamorous but strangely beautiful part of N France a depressed edge. 

Tiptoes on the line between realism (no music, lots of natural sound, amateur acting, a real place) and the supernatural (main guy seems to have strange powers) in a way that will leave popcorn classics fans annoyed or puzzled. 

There is one scene that is pure paedo bait but on the whole an interesting piece about death and nature and superstition. (BFIPlayer)

(88)

The Raven 8/10

Bella Lugosi and Boris Karloff star in the Poe inspired story abaout a surgeon who goes mental because of beautiful ballet dancer. Lugosi is charming and menacing while Karloff gives a stunning performance as a disfigured hoodlum. The few comedic sections a little dated and cheesy, but there are some moments of genuine terror. (DailyMotion)

The Brits are coming (SKY)

Lots of familiar faces but really disappointing movie, Tim Roth and Uma Thurman are a married couple of con artists (I think) who rip off a crime boss and go to America to hide or gamble or steal or god knows really, it's a caper romp type of film and these types of movies are all about balance ,this one isn't smart enough to be stylish or funny enough to be light hearted so just ends up a touch messy, Roth's character is a bit shite for the most part, Uma looks hot as hell until she speaks .A few decent bits but 3/10

Cargo (Netflix)

Zombie apocalypse type flick set in Australia, Netflix own, Martin Freeman in the lead role as the  dad trying to save his baby daughter. It's bleak and don't expect endless Walking Dead style fight scenes or World war Z type effects, This is based very much on the human effort to survive in a race against time.personally loved it ,Freeman was superb in the lead role , there'are some excellent supporting characters as well. It has a kind of Danny Boyle-esque feel to it (no bad thing). Really good.9/10.

16 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Journey's End

A young officer arrives in the trenches on the western front in 1918. Slow moving but tense with a rather  uncomfortable sense of doom.

I can't think of many decent films set in ww1 but this was one of the betters ones that I've seen.

7/10

I've yet to see anything with Toby Jones that isn't first class.  Very much looking forward to seeing this.

Recently got a cineworld unlimited card so gonna try and rattle through this summer's releases.

Deadpool 2

Enjoyable enough and still very funny in parts but seemed to be trying too hard a lot of the time. Too many really obvious and forced pop culture references. Where the first was fresh and new, this one seems to be too much of a rehash.

In saying that, there were some excellent bits. Was pissing myself at the X Force entering the field on the parachutes and I did enjoy Deadpool referencing the lack of X Men in the mansion.

7/10

Solo

Despite a generally negative critical reception, I actually really enjoyed this. I'm not a huge Star Wars buff so don't appreciate the extended universe as much as some might but overall it was a very decent film that could have ended up pretty disastrous. Solid cast with special mention for Glover as Lando's younger self. An uncanny reincarnation!

8/10

Emily Clarke was as wooden as she has been for the last 7 years on Game of Thrones but no surprises there

(89,90)

Zama 7/10

Set in South America in the late 1700s no massive story arc just basically the tale of a v clinically fed up colonialist who has been dumped in some shit hole (not completely clear where) as an administrator for the Spanish govt and who seemingly has no choice but to go wherever the govt sends him and proceeds to spend the whole film begging his superiors to seek permission to send him to where his family lives, needless to say he keeps going round in circles. Seemed quite an interesting film, had this kind of delirious feel to it that matched the delirium of the heat and the bugs and the swamp of the setting. Only thing is i made the mistake of seeing it when I was really knackered so the lack of narrative made it really hard to keep my eyes open. Might actually go see it again when I’m more awake. (cinema)

My Friend Dahmer 7.5/10

Based on the excellent comic by an old school “friend” of Dahmer’s which itself is based on the last year they spent at school before the small group of friends either went to college, or in the case of Dahmer, started doing his bad murders. Really like the idea of a serial killer film being about the time before the person starts actually doing the killing. Doesn’t really try to get into his head, because at the end of the day you will never really know what would drive someone to that point, it was more just a portrait of a particular time and a relationship that these kids had with Dahmer that was somewhat exploitative (they basically were friends with him because they thought he was a freak). Thought the guy that played Dahmer was v good, there were a few particularly creepy moments that were incredibly subtle and were essentially not much more than just a look on his face. (cinema)

Star Trek: Into Darkness

Actually enjoyed it. I am turning into an old git that normally feels that they are ripping the arse out of the franchises I enjoyed as a kid.

This one managed to come across as a good up to date film while keeping enough old school trekie stuff for the likes of me.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America

Deadpan comedy about a Soviet rock band on an eventful tour of the USA. I remember this had a bit of a cult following among some of the stoner crowd in Montrose back in the early 90s. I hadn't seen it for 20 odd years but it has aged fairly well. I did enjoy it more as a stoned 17 year old though...

7/10

(91)

Children of Darkness 7/10

Can’t be arsed writing a review. Have a synopsis c&p job...

an Oscar nominated 1983 documentary film produced and written by Richard Kotuk and Ara Chekmayan. It explored the topic of juvenile psychiatry - an acute lack of mental health care in America for seriously emotionally disturbed youth. Many children in these institutions were simply warehoused and the common basic form of therapy was drugs, which didn't really help the kids but merely controlled them. The film not only uncovered the mistreatments in mental institutions but it also captured the cold realization that mental illness can happen to anyone. Public mental institutions were not just for the poor. Children from middle class families and upper middle class families often ended up there due to inadequate insurance money and dwindled savings.

(YouTube)

14 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Rocky IV 

Probably the cheesiest  but also the most entertaining Rocky film. This has everything: a plucky underdog, evil foreigners, typically 80s music and montages along with lashings of patriotism and a half assed political stance.

Unmissable.

8/10

Unquestionably the best of the Rocky films. Love it. I have the soundtrack on my iPod and it's full of great tunes. This film features the best montages of all the Rocky films, and the best shit 80s robot in all of film. Rocky also stops the Cold War with his stirring speech at the end. Heroic. 

@Chicken Wing