What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(73)

Snitch 2/10

Really a very bad film, the message being “first-time drug offences get you locked up for more than killing or touching kids. It’s a Dwayne Johnson film otherwise i wouldn’t have bothered and I wish I hadn’t. (Netflix)

The Martian (7/10)

Solid sci-fi space fare well played by Matt Damon with a fair bit of good humour.

Considerably tainted in the end by the eyerolling tropes of the guilty captain, crew mutiny, and unbelievable final moments in orbit.

(74)

Frank 4/10

Not the story of Frank Sidebottom but a character based on Jon Ronson’s relationship with the dead comedian.

I can’t think for the life of me why they did this film like this. The story is that the Jon character stumbles into Frank’s band, a group of miscreants and poorly-sketched artist-type led by the mercurial Frank, and spends a year rehearsing in a remote location, getting into the madness of the world of Frank, trying to unlearn all of his square traits. It leads up to a big show at SXSW where it goes terribly wrong, and then there’s a sad and weird ending with a positive note of resolution. 

Y’see it’s really about he debilitating effects of mental health. Jon gets the gig because the original keyboardist gets sectioned. The producer, the only person who will talk to Jon normally, kills himself as soon as the record is done. Maggie Gyllenhaal’s character (truly shit) stabs Jon. And then it turns out that Frank, this child-like composer of avant-garde masterpieces (all of which are wretched) is also someone who suffers from terrible mental illness. 

I was just scratching my head all the way through because the Jon character is so at-odds with everything that the whole conceit becomes utterly flimsy. To sustain the band, who have no fans and make mental music and reject all of his asinine 4/4 sub-Coldplay’s, he gives them all of his money. And yet he never really commits to the group who all hate him and in the SXSW denouement his ego gets in the way, which gets in the way of the story. All the way through it’s not “Frank is mad”, it is “Frank is a genius”, and plays on that cliche of madness being intertwined with visionary status.

It’s probably a very worthy tale of a poorly-represented thing but it was hard to really parse the message. Also it being done as Frank Sidebottom rather than an original character just kept making me think “this is not what Frank was about!”, even though that’s a dumb thing to think. (DVD)

Reservoir Dogs.

Had It on DVD for years just never watched It. Really good film. 8/10.

Tarantino Is a genius.

"Hey, why am I Mr Pink?"

In a similar fashion to 12 Angry Men, this film is all about the dialogue. I absolutely love films like that as they are a bit of a dying breed nowadays. Give me a cracking dialogue over big explosions and smashes every day of the week.

• 2 weeks later...
The Martian (7/10)
Solid sci-fi space fare well played by Matt Damon with a fair bit of good humour.
Considerably tainted in the end by the eyerolling tropes of the guilty captain, crew mutiny, and unbelievable final moments in orbit.
i was pleasantly surprised by this film. was much better than i anticipated

Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2.

Far from Tarantino's best and lacking the great dialouge from some of his other films.  It's flabby as hell and could probably have been trimmed to one film, but its still great.  The anime section for O-Ren is superb.

8/10

Highlander - a childhood favourite of mine that hasn’t particularly aged well, with shite acting and shite accents. I love it.
a frenchman putting on a dodgy scottish accent and sean doing his best to play a spanish sean.

great film though

15 hours ago, ah-dee said:
On 5/4/2018 at 15:15, banana said:
The Martian (7/10)

i was pleasantly surprised by this film. was much better than i anticipated

Yup, the scenario doesn't suggest it'd be able to hold together an interesting plot for long.

Recommend the super low budget Moon along the same lines.

Edited by banana

49 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

a frenchman putting on a dodgy scottish accent and sean doing his best to play a spanish sean.

great film though

He's Egyptian.

Love Highlander. One of my favourites. Outstanding sound track as well

He's Egyptian.
that's even worse then! havent watched it in years so will need to sort that. you are correct about the soundtrack

Yup, the scenario doesn't suggest it'd be able to hold together an interesting plot for long.
moon was a great film. sam rockwell was excellent in it

Along came a spider 6.5/10.

Enjoyable enough brain-in-neutral stuff. Morgan Freeman doing what Morgan Freeman does. Couple of eye rolling moments but a good ride with enough twists and tension.

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
He's Egyptian.

that's even worse then! havent watched it in years so will need to sort that. you are correct about the soundtrack

It's a common misconception that even Connor McLeod himself makes

1 hour ago, ah-dee said:
2 hours ago, banana said:

moon was a great film. sam rockwell was excellent in it

Moon is indeed brilliant