What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

(32) 

Desperately Seeking Susan 6.8/10

Rewatched this as remember liking it when small. Still pretty enjoyable though my favourite thing is the photography. The way the colours come across is great. Makes a lot of scenes look slightly unreal. Also on the commentary track they say that ‘Celine and Julie Go Boating’ was an inspiration which I wouldn’t have picked up on honestly. (dvd)

Polar 5/10. Was not what I expected at all. I thought it was going to be some Arctic survival movie for some reason. Anyway just glad I never stuck this on when the in laws were round. I did kind of enjoy it. Reminded me of shoot em up. Some pretty brutal scenes but plenty of decent paps aswell.

Alita Battle Angel 8/10

Excellent effects let down by the story in the final 30 mins. First act is the best cyberpunk style film I have seen, loses its way a bit in the middle of the film though.  If you have read the manga then it picks but from the first 4 collected books and picks most of the best bits. 

Need to see this in 3d on a huge screen, saw it at isense at odeon and was the best 3d I've seen. 

(33)

The Firm 2/10

NOT the Alan Clarke version with Gary Oldman going mad as a lorry but the 2009  remake by Nick Love (The Football Factory, Outlaw, The Sweeney film). Absolute bollocks compared to the original. I don’t necessarily object in what they’ve done - which is to take a second tier character from the original and make it about his journey in the world of organised hooligan activity - but it’s done in such a superficial way that I can’t believe for a second they understood what the f**k the first one was about. The ending of the original (SPOILER AHEAD) is this: Gary Oldman’s character leads his firm into a rival firm’s pub where they have a ruck, and Oldman is killed. It is important because we have been following Oldman’s journey from middle class aspirant husband to primally-focused-on-revenge mentaloid. The action then leaps forward a few weeks to a pub where members of the rival firms have come together to team up as a national team firm (the reason they were fighting in the first place) but crucially - they’re performing their hooligan bravado for a camera crew making a sociological documentary about what makes a hooligan (we’re led to this as bits of it have been subtly stranded throughout the drama). It’s a critique of the hooligan as a total fiction of male camaraderie. The remake sees the Oldman character (played by some Weller clone) die in the same ruck. But because we haven’t followed him, it is kind of nothingy. Like he’s just his horrible c**t you want to get stabbed. We flash forward a few weeks and the minor character is on his way down the pub and sees the rest of the crew having a laugh and decides this is how he can get out. He runs into his mates from the beginning of the film and they rekindle their friendship. The end. It turns a vibrant original into a dumb cosplay. It’s gonna kill me when I screen this in a few weeks and they prefer it. (dvd)

Edited by Christophe

Lifeboat (1944) Ship torpedoed by a U-boat, survivors drift and have dramas on said lifeboat, Tallulah Bankhead is excellent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. A gem

this is my favourite hitchcock film. the mans a genious being able to build suspense etc in this setting. im going to have a sesrch for it later.

2 hours ago, ah-dee said:
On 07/02/2019 at 06:39, Silverton End said:
Lifeboat (1944) Ship torpedoed by a U-boat, survivors drift and have dramas on said lifeboat, Tallulah Bankhead is excellent, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. A gem

this is my favourite hitchcock film. the mans a genious being able to build suspense etc in this setting. im going to have a sesrch for it later.

Film4 have been showing it fairly regularly.

The Lego Movie 2

Decent enough way to waste a couple of hours, though there's something missing that means it's not quite as enjoyable as the first.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds the emotionless guy with the dead eyes in the Cineworld adverts creepy as f**k?

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Lego Movie 2

Decent enough way to waste a couple of hours, though there's something missing that means it's not quite as enjoyable as the first.

As an aside, am I the only one who finds the emotionless guy with the dead eyes in the Cineworld adverts creepy as f**k?

Guy's in a stunner of a movie called Beast btw. Playing Bowie soon as well apparently. Can't tell it from that weird monotone advert but he's a very decent actor.

2 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Guy's in a stunner of a movie called Beast btw. Playing Bowie soon as well apparently. Can't tell it from that weird monotone advert but he's a very decent actor.

He's creepy as f**k.

He'd be ideal to play Waffenthinmint in P&B: The Movie.

The Lego Movie 2
Why do we go to the cinema........ To escape!

Aye, it'll be the odeon to escape from you ya creepy b*****d

I watched Nocturnal Animals on Netflix. It has the weirdest intro to a film I can remember with all the fat naked ladies dancing. I confused the f**k out myself as I clearly wasn’t paying full attention. I thought Isla Fisher and Amy Adams’ characters were the same person for a good half hour which without spoiling it didn’t make sense. I wasn’t sure about the ending but an enjoyable watch nether less.

I have previous with this though in She not that into you I somehow thought Scarlett Johansson’s’ character was two different people.

The film was written and co-produced by Tony Lips’s son. A few years ago that guy retweeted Trump’s tweets about Muslims dancing in the street after 9/11. The family of Don Shelby said the pair were not friends at all, Lip was just an employee . Ali is a Muslim too so there was that.