What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My daughter claims to be a big star wars fan [...] But never seen the original trilogy.

This has made me inexplicably angry, despite not giving much of a toss about Star Wars.

Admittedly, it's given me the idea to discuss the worst parts of The Hobbit films as though I love them next time some LotR fans insist on banging on about "The Trilogy".

2 minutes ago, MSU said:

I was going to draw comparisons to Johnny Depp's daughters' acting in this, but I thought they were probably the best thing in it.

I think we can agree that less is more when it comes to the Smith/Depp children and, indeed, anything to do with Kevin Smith's bizarre, patronising obsession with Canada  :lol:

Johnny Depp is easily worse than either of the kids though.

Edited by BFTD

The Northman. 

Pretty good but I don't like spoiling things so I'll fire my praise/criticism in spoiler tags. All I will say is it's a huge leap for CGI muscles.

Spoiler

Loads of pillaging not any raping to keep it real. I liked the focus on the importance of constant magic mushy consumption in pagan society.

Edited by Detournement

Toss up this week between The Northman and that Nicolas Cage do-dah. I quite liked the look of the Nicolas Cage thing until the second trailer came out which made it seem very much like The Interview, which I didn't really care for, so will probably go see The Northman. 

Operation Mincemeat 

Film based on the true story from world war 2, bits were slightly altered from dramatisation, but the film stayed true to the main story (id read up on it ages ago before i knew of the film) 

Some excellent wee nods to james bond given ian fleming took part in the operation, can see where he got some of his ideas from

Very decent cast as well, played their parts extremely well, and the plot never once felt dragged, moved along at a good pace

Solid 8/10, others will score it lower but i enjoy true story adaptations and spy films

Next up Death on the Nile

Disney+ hercule poirot solves murder in Egypt, cracking cast, scenery and locations looked absolutely fabulous, plot ripped the arse out the first hour then flew threw the killings and solving of the crime, disappointing tbh as they coild have extended the murder mystery part and cut the bollocks character development part as its not needed tbh

4/10

Malignant (entirely legal download, your honour)

Latest film from Blumhouse regular James Wan. Cuts along as an unbelievably tepid and derivative psychic horror flick for the first two acts, then...there's a hilarious moment when the final third kicks in that's almost worth sitting through the rest to get to. It's pretty funny from that point on, and certainly not as dull. Just Shyamalan levels of complete misjudgement as it becomes a derivative re-tread of a different type of horror film.

I'm not going to say that it's worth seeing for that reason but...well, maybe it is. You'll know what I'm talking about when it happens. You'll probably be struggling to avoid nodding off by then, but you'll get a good laugh out of it.

On 21/04/2022 at 21:04, Detournement said:

The Northman. 

Pretty good but I don't like spoiling things so I'll fire my praise/criticism in spoiler tags. All I will say is it's a huge leap for CGI muscles.

Hide contents

Loads of pillaging not any raping to keep it real. I liked the focus on the importance of constant magic mushy consumption in pagan society.

Lacks diversity and has no strong empowered female characters, it must be cancelled immediately.  

The Northman’s 10th-century society appears to be uniformly white and firmly divided along patriarchal lines. Men do the ruling and killing; women do the scheming and baby-making. Its hero, played by Alexander Skarsgård, is not a million miles from the “macho stereotype” Eggers complained of – a brawny warrior who settles most disputes with a sword and without a shirt. Skarsgård’s love interest, played by Anya Taylor-Joy, could be the far-right male’s dream woman: beautiful, fair-haired, loyal to her man and committed to bearing his offspring.

On the face of it, some images of Skarsgård in The Northman – bare-chested, pumped-up with battle rage, wearing a wolf’s pelt as headgear – are uncomfortably close to those of Jake Angeli, AKA the “QAnon Shaman”, the abiding mascot of the 6 January assault on the US Capitol. On that terrifying day in Washington

@bennett 

It's a good film because all the characters are believable as part of 10th century Viking or Slav society. There is no BBC style modern influence beyond making it tame enough for a 15 certificate. 

Skarsgaard's character is the hero but the film isn't afraid to show him as stupid and violent.

On 22/04/2022 at 23:00, 54_and_counting said:

Operation Mincemeat 

Film based on the true story from world war 2, bits were slightly altered from dramatisation, but the film stayed true to the main story (id read up on it ages ago before i knew of the film) 

Some excellent wee nods to james bond given ian fleming took part in the operation, can see where he got some of his ideas from

Very decent cast as well, played their parts extremely well, and the plot never once felt dragged, moved along at a good pace

Solid 8/10, others will score it lower but i enjoy true story adaptations and spy films

The original film from 1956 is called "The man who never was".  It is a fairly stiff Ealing Studio production but is still enjoyable.  There is a brief appearance by Joan Hickson, who would play Miss Marple decades later.

It also stars Gloria Graham.  She won a best supporting actress Oscar for a film in which she only appears for 9 minutes ("The Bad and the Beautiful").

Harry Potter and the Cash Cow 43: The Secret isn’t what you thought it would be, but is equally predictable

Morning out with niece number 1 to see this. The highlight was when we had Hash Browns from McDonalds before we went in. Had forgotten how good they were. The film was a steaming turd of hippogriff shite.

The Blues Brothers (1980)

It's been far too long since I last watched this. Great fun film with terrific appearances by John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin and of course James Brown. I'd also forgotten how many cameos there were including Joe Walsh, Twiggy, John Candy and Henry Gibson. Love this film.

8.5/10

Edited by JustOneCornetto
I've seen the light

042 -- The Northman. Robert Eggers follows up The Lighthouse and The Witch with an epic Viking saga. Alexander Skarsgard plays Prince Amleth whose uncle murdered his father and kidnapped his mother, and twenty years later he finds himself as a berserker in a band of Vikings and as they're laying waste to a random Slavic village, he's reminded of his vow to avenge his father, save his mother, and kill his uncle. So off he goes to do that. Thrilling, bleak, and brutal stuff where even the good guys are pretty f**ked up. Interesting turns from Bjork, Anya Taylor Joy, and Nicole Kidman as Amleth's mum is fab. 8/10

19 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

The Blues Brothers (1980)

It's been far too long since I last watched this. Great fun film with terrific appearances by John Lee Hooker, Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin and of course James Brown. I'd also forgotten how many cameos there were including Joe Walsh, Twiggy, John Candy and Henry Gibson. Love this film.

8.5/10

The fella what wrote Peer Gynt? I'll have to re-watch that.

Alien vs Predator 2: Requiem (DVD)

I needed something I'd already seen to put on in the background, and I had a copy of this lying around. Meh.

It's obviously the worst film in either franchise, but it's passable for a straight-to-video sci-fi action film. I'd forgotten just how weirdly dark a lot of it is, which seems to be some kind of stylistic choice rather than an attempt to conceal something, as most of the effects look perfectly passable. It's one of the most visually murky films I've ever seen. There's also a lot of time spent pathetically trying to evoke memories of the prior films (especially Aliens), with re-used sound effects and lines of dialogue. Just pretty mediocre, with some peculiar choices.

Still the closest we're likely to get to the teased Alien 3 on Earth that Fox advertised before the film was made.

On 19/04/2022 at 17:31, Detournement said:

Blue Collar - A fairly restrained Paul Schrader film with Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Koto working in a Michigan car factory and getting themselves in trouble by digging into their corrupt union. It handles the racial angle very cleverly (and depressingly) and has that old time cinema feature of characters who have money problems that you don't see much of any more. Koto is amazing and steals it from the other two greats. 

Its rare nowadays I havent heard of an old movie thats good but I dont remember ever hearing about this movie let alone seeing any of it. Thats going on the list to see now.

Cheers

Last Radio Call (not an illegal torrent) - found footage of a woman trying to find out what happened to her cop husband, who disappeared after investigating a disturbance at a...*sigh*...abandoned mental asylum.

So yeah, somebody liked Grave Encounters and Rec, and figured they'd have a go (looks like they wrote, directed, produced, and probably manned the craft services table themselves too). Only problem is that the "story" is bland, derivative shite, the acting veers from mediocre to laughable, and for some reason they decided to go with a singularly unlikeable main character to follow. Not worth a second of anyone's time.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Still the closest we're likely to get to the teased Alien 3 on Earth that Fox advertised before the film was made.

There's a great Alien book called Earth Hive where the story is that the xenomorphs overrun Earth. It starts with just a single xenomorph brought back to Earth by a salvage crew who stumble across it in a piece of wreckage orbiting the planet. It's explained that a sole alien can turn in to a queen in the absence of one, similar to what some mad insects can do.

Predictably, military scientists get involved in an effort to turn a profit. Even more predictably, this is a colossal mistake. 

Some mad cultists get caught up in things and want to get a face hugger chucked at them. Amusingly, they realise what a horrible error they've made in the split second before the face hugger smashes in to their faces.

Anyway, slowly hives keep popping up across the US. They get eradicated only for two more to pop up. They eventually have to section off parts of the country. Then the hives start appearing across the planet. Slower at first, but then quicker and quicker. More and more extreme measures are used, including nuking a sizeable portion of Asia. This does not work. The desperation of the authorities builds and builds until, eventually, the aliens pretty much take over the planet.

We then hear of survivor accounts and it's bleak. Very good read though. It's part of a trilogy that includes two characters who were supposed to be Hicks and Newt but are re-named (since Alien 3 fucked them over). Ripley appears too...

Earth Hive is the first in the trilogy. The second and third books see random transmissions from the xenomorph infested Earth. Third one tries to deal with the problem.

Rambling aside, seeing the xenomorphs on Earth would be cool as f**k if done right.

It's highly amusing how Weyland-Yutani are still determined that there's a profit to be turned from the killer aliens, no matter how many times everything goes tits up.

Edit: they should try a xenomorph safari park. That'll definitely work out OK.

Edited by BFTD

Fast & Furious 9. In a nonsense franchise this is a new level of nonsense to ascend to. Genuinely laugh out loud funny at bits of it that were definitely not supposed to be funny. 

At least it was funny bad, compared to Hobbs & Shaw which was just absolute dog shit from start to finish. 

8 hours ago, Detournement said:

I now need to see this. 

20220426_102657.jpg

It's good. Gene Hackman playing Mary Ann!? squares off against Lee Marvin playing, essentially Lee Marvin. It touches on prostitution, slavery and cannibalism. A proper oddball film.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz