What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Pierrepoint (2005)

Tim Spall is excellent as always, playing the UK's most prolific hangman.

Deprived of anonymity after the hanging of the Germans involved at Belsen, he tried living the quiet life as a pub landlord. 

He hanged Timothy Evans, Derek Bentley (not even given a mention in the movie) and Ruth Ellis, obviously not knowing at the time that these were miscarriages of justice.

The real miscarriage of justice is that James Corden was in this film and he wasn't hanged.

Nostalgia 2022 

Excellent, beautifully filmed set in Naples , well acted. For me perfectly paced though some may disagree on that. Scenes shot so well and thoughtfully that they are telling a 100 smaller background stories without a word. Its great.

Edited by ScotiaNostra

17 hours ago, Chripper said:

Saturday Night Live airs on Sunday evenings at 9pm on Sky Comedy.

I'd put SNL in the same category as "The Simpsons" (Well past its sell by date and is still only being made because of the name)

In its peak it had people like Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Chris Parnell, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Will Ferrell.

Comic royalty.

Now it has the likes of Kenan Thompson.

Watching SNL nowadays is like watching a show that knows that it's running on fumes. Same with "The Simpsons."

I remember watching it back in the 90s, Sky One, i think. "In living colour" was another one I used to watch. It had an all black cast, with one exception, a certain Jim Carrey.

That's actually something I meant to put in my post; that a bunch of people previously involved in the show have had an impact on the stuff I watch even if I'm none the wiser about the show itself. 

1 hour ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Nostalgia 2022 

Excellent, beautifully filmed set in Naples , well acted. For me perfectly paced though some may disagree on that. Scenes shot so well and thoughtfully that they are telling a 100 smaller background stories without a word. Its great.

Couldn't agree more, and this is the thing that's stuck in my mind about the film. It really made Naples feel alive, simply due to how it takes in its surroundings 

Edited by accies1874

Hamburger Hill 1987

Coupled with recently finishing a rewatch of Ken Burns' "The Vietnam War" it really hammered home just how f**king ridiculous that war and how it was fought, was.

Performances are great, particularly from Dylan McDermott as Frantz (his rant at the TV journalist being a particular highlight), Steven Weber as Worcester and Courtney. B Vance as Doc.

The character development of the new recruits becoming hardened veterans and ultimately all of the squad questioning why they're there (and the impact the war is having on their ability to live their lives back home) is phenomenal, too. Completely encapsulates the differences between the "Man in the bird" flying high above the battlefield seeing something they wanted taken, having absolutely no idea of what it would take for the men on the ground to do it.

I'd say it's up there for me in terms of Vietnam war movies; definitely on a par with FMJ and Platoon. I can't for certain pick which is best, as they're all totally different takes/perspectives on the war.

2 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Hamburger Hill 1987

Coupled with recently finishing a rewatch of Ken Burns' "The Vietnam War" it really hammered home just how f**king ridiculous that war and how it was fought, was.

Performances are great, particularly from Dylan McDermott as Frantz (his rant at the TV journalist being a particular highlight), Steven Weber as Worcester and Courtney. B Vance as Doc.

The character development of the new recruits becoming hardened veterans and ultimately all of the squad questioning why they're there (and the impact the war is having on their ability to live their lives back home) is phenomenal, too. Completely encapsulates the differences between the "Man in the bird" flying high above the battlefield seeing something they wanted taken, having absolutely no idea of what it would take for the men on the ground to do it.

I'd say it's up there for me in terms of Vietnam war movies; definitely on a par with FMJ and Platoon. I can't for certain pick which is best, as they're all totally different takes/perspectives on the war.

I'd strongly recommend Burns Civil War series if you've not seen it yet also 

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

That's actually something I meant to put in my post; that a bunch of people previously involved in the show have had an impact on the stuff I watch even if I'm none the wiser about the show itself. 

Yeah. The conveyor talent on that show was incredible. It was the golden generation of comedy.

Don't watch the current show. I've tried and I've always turned off.

See if you can watch the 80s/90s episodes on YouTube. You'll get a kick out the faces you see.

EuroTrip (2024) on IPTV

Really enjoyed this when it first came out when I was a teenager and it holds up pretty well for the most part. Not everything works in 2024 but the sex scene with David Hasselhof playing over it and all the stuff at the Vatican is still really really funny. 

On 14/10/2024 at 23:05, Chripper said:

Saturday Night Live airs on Sunday evenings at 9pm on Sky Comedy.

I'd put SNL in the same category as "The Simpsons" (Well past its sell by date and is still only being made because of the name)

In its peak it had people like Dan Ackroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Chris Parnell, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Will Ferrell.

Comic royalty.

Now it has the likes of Kenan Thompson.

Watching SNL nowadays is like watching a show that knows that it's running on fumes. Same with "The Simpsons."

I remember watching it back in the 90s, Sky One, i think. "In living colour" was another one I used to watch. It had an all black cast, with one exception, a certain Jim Carrey.

It's funny how wildly the opinions about SNL vary. I watched it regularly during the Will Ferrell/Chris Kattan/David Spade era, when general consensus seemed to be that it was washed up and horrifically unfunny. I'm reliably informed that during the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman era, which I've seen dozens of repeats of, the general consensus was that it was washed up and horrifically unfunny. Yet even to this day, it's still popular and regularly produces comedians who go on to greater popularity.

Considering it's a meat grinder that has to constantly churn out content regardless of quality, the amount of good stuff they make is remarkable. For some reason people get the idea that every episode should full of gold because they've seen some old Steve Martin sketches and The Blues Brothers and assume that's what the show used to be like; they had an awful lot of shite sandwiched between the good stuff too.

People are often surprised when they first watch Monty Python's Flying Circus too, as there's long stretches of unfunny experimental material, lengthy tracking shots, and general guff mixed in with the sketches about spam and surprise Iberian church enforcers. Comedians need to be able to f**k about and fail; personally speaking, much like with football, I kinda like seeing the stuff that doesn't quite pay off as it makes the wins all the sweeter when things finally go to plan.

17 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's funny how wildly the opinions about SNL vary. I watched it regularly during the Will Ferrell/Chris Kattan/David Spade era, when general consensus seemed to be that it was washed up and horrifically unfunny. I'm reliably informed that during the Mike Myers/Dana Carvey/Phil Hartman era, which I've seen dozens of repeats of, the general consensus was that it was washed up and horrifically unfunny. Yet even to this day, it's still popular and regularly produces comedians who go on to greater popularity.

Considering it's a meat grinder that has to constantly churn out content regardless of quality, the amount of good stuff they make is remarkable. For some reason people get the idea that every episode should full of gold because they've seen some old Steve Martin sketches and The Blues Brothers and assume that's what the show used to be like; they had an awful lot of shite sandwiched between the good stuff too.

People are often surprised when they first watch Monty Python's Flying Circus too, as there's long stretches of unfunny experimental material, lengthy tracking shots, and general guff mixed in with the sketches about spam and surprise Iberian church enforcers. Comedians need to be able to f**k about and fail; personally speaking, much like with football, I kinda like seeing the stuff that doesn't quite pay off as it makes the wins all the sweeter when things finally go to plan.

It's definitely an interesting one.

I think it's a case of nostalgia brain You get people who grew up in the 80s who look down on 90s pop culture and think that absolutely every single pop culture thing that was released in the 80s was gold and a classic.

People get tribal with it.

80s nostalgia people forget about the horrendous "Jaws: The Revenge" (1984), "Hobgoblins" (1988) and "Caddyshack II".

It's exactly the same with every decade.

Some do have truths to it, though. There's a reason why songs from the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s and 80s are still being listened to and still bought.

There's a reason why we all still watch "Willy Wonka", "Godfather", "Casablanca", "Pyscho", etc.

The truth is that every single generation has gold and has tin.

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) at Inn Defence.

Probably one of the most successful movie musicals of all time. Works brilliantly on screen, the songs are great, Rick Moranis is an excellent lead and Steve Martin completely steals the show as the over the top evil dentist. Also has one of the best endings to any musical, total chaos. A delight every time.

Edit: it's probably obvious given I talked about how good the ending is, but it was the Director's Cut that was screened. The far superior version.

Edited by Craig fae the Vale

Smile (cinema) - psychiatrist Sosie Bacon (of Kevin fame) is haunted by a mysterious, reality-bending entity that attempts to drive her mad.

Seen this a few times but it's still an entertaining watch, in the mould of good modern horror films like It Follows.

Smile 2 (cinema) - hot young popster Naomi Scott...well, see the plot of Smile 1.

Was slightly concerned that this might have ended up a shite, pointless sequel to an impressive original (see Sinister 2 or, rather, don't), but it's a very solid follow-on that avoids committing some of the common crimes of the genre (the demon's called Pazuzu and flies with Richard Burton on a locust!). Naomi Scott is very good at portraying a vulnerable character who's losing her mind, much like Sosie Bacon. Pretty much the definition of "if you liked the original, you'll probably like this", but it probably won't win over anyone who didn't.

Think they've kinda f**ked themselves over as far as further sequels go, but that's probably a good thing. Never stopped studios before though!