What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

A very mixed bag for me at the weekend.

Flight 666 - Number of the beast - Fascinating documentary following the world's most enduring heavy metal band on a worldwide tour (9/10).

Antichrist - Latest effort from Lars Von Trier. Couldn't get into this at all. Switched off after half an hour (1/10).

Rollerball - Futuristic thriller from the 70s. All looks a bit dated now but watchable nonetheless (5/10).

Black Narcissus - Oscar winner way back in 1947. Nice cinematography but the plot was a bit weary at times (6/10).

tongue.gif Ok smartarse, at what point in the movie does it appear 6 hours have been omitted?

Watch it again, there's numerous times where the recording clearly stops, then starts again. It'll all add up. He doesn't pause it for six consecutive hours.

Thirst - 8/10

Korean vampire movie directed by Park Chan-Wook who is the guy who directed Oldboy, Lady Vengeance and JSA. Its about a Korean priest who volunteers for a medical experiment to try and find a cure for a deadly virus, however the virus truns him into a vampire, the rst of teh story is then about him falling in love with an old firends wife and dealing with his actions aas a vampire. A very good film and alot better than 95% of Hollywood vampire rubbish.

Well worth a watch.

I watched the Pink Panther last night and i thought it was the best film i have seen in years. (10/10)

The Steve Martin one?

I watched it and thought it was hilarious. Not quite 10/10, but probably a 7. I know it was slated, but i thought it was really good.

Good movie. Might be a bit contentious but better than Animal House.

Gran Torino 73%

I would have liked to give it more but I think the fact I knew how it ended spoiled it for me. Certainly one of the better films to come out in the last couple of years.

I know! It was all a dream! What a disappointment.

I just watched Sherlock Holmes. Let it be said, I have nothing but hatred for Guy Ritchie. He married a dreadful woman, and his films, with the possible exception of Lock, Stock are idiotic pieces of macho posturing which generally appeal to readers of Nuts magazine. Revolver being without question the worst film I have ever seen.

But I do like Sherlock Holmes, the novels and short stories - the good ones - are a good read.

So I watched this in a great deal of fear. And, to be fair, this film was nowhere near as bad as I had expected. In fact, I enjoyed at least an hour of it. The film starts with that retarded jump cut stagger thing Ritchie likes so much. But clearly the producers told Ritchie to cut that out, and it doesn't come back until right near the ridiculous ending using CGI which will age terribly.

In between, Holmes and Watson play off one each other with no little charm and merriment. There's a rather absurd storyline about a professor who pretends to be a devil worshipper, and Mark Strong clearly thinks he's playing Hitler, but it's rather besides the point here. It's the pace of the chase, and for most of the film you forget about Rachel McAdams' abhorrent acting ability.

Zero gravitas, but utterly inoffensive stuff, takes up a couple of hours quite nicely without you having to think too much. 6.1/10

Edited to add the Pitchfork style marking system.

Edited by Jim Pansy

I know! It was all a dream! What a disappointment.

I just watched Sherlock Holmes. Let it be said, I have nothing but hatred for Guy Ritchie. He married a dreadful woman, and his films, with the possible exception of Lock, Stock are idiotic pieces of macho posturing which generally appeal to readers of Nuts magazine. Revolver being without question the worst film I have ever seen.

But I do like Sherlock Holmes, the novels and short stories - the good ones - are a good read.

So I watched this in a great deal of fear. And, to be fair, this film was nowhere near as bad as I had expected. In fact, I enjoyed at least an hour of it. The film starts with that retarded jump cut stagger thing Ritchie likes so much. But clearly the producers told Ritchie to cut that out, and it doesn't come back until right near the ridiculous ending using CGI which will age terribly.

In between, Holmes and Watson play off one each other with no little charm and merriment. There's a rather absurd storyline about a professor who pretends to be a devil worshipper, and Mark Strong clearly thinks he's playing Hitler, but it's rather besides the point here. It's the pace of the chase, and for most of the film you forget about Rachel McAdams' abhorrent acting ability.

Zero gravitas, but utterly inoffensive stuff, takes up a couple of hours quite nicely without you having to think too much. 6.1/10

Edited to add the Pitchfork style marking system.

I too despise Guy Ritchie but, being a fan of Sherlock Holmes books and TV movies, I went along to this a few weeks ago, albeit with a little trepidation. I thought it was excellent. The chemistry between Downey and Law is fantastic, very witty and sharp. Plot is decent enough, I liked the hints of Moriarty being in there, and I'll even forgive Rachel McAdam's acting, as she's phenomenal (and makes up one of my five-women list). If I gave it a rating I'd probably say an 8/10, the CGI looks a bit ropey sometimes and the side-plot featuring Watson getting engaged is a trifle boring, but particular mention must go to Mark Strong who hams it up delightfully. A great film.

The Hurt Locker

Was knackered when I watched this but it kept me awake as I was totally glued to watching it, felt fairly let down by the ending with no real "conclusion" if that makes sense, doesnt take away from the fact it was a great movie though.

8.5/10