What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

The Bourne Ultimatum

And so I conclude the Bourne trilogy.

It's probably the best film in the trilogy, or at the very least it is an equal to Supremacy. Matt Damon is excellent once again, and Joan Allen is very good (if a slightly idealistic character). I had doubts over whether or not Vosen could be as good a "bad guy" as Abbott (Brian Cox just has the sinister character down to a tee) but he surpassed my expectations. He's not as sinister but he's certainly got a menacing streak that makes for good viewing - even if he isn't as good. I like the character of Dr Hirsch as well, despite his limited screen time. Julia Stiles is fairly attractive in this so that's a good point also, especially when we had to make do with the irritating Franka Potente in the first two films.

Other good points:

There's a lot of very good scenes in it (Waterloo and the end few scenes with Dr Hirsch stick out as favourites).

I really like the concluding part of the story, and the references to the previous films.

The shaky cam is used effectively and is quite beneficial to the viewing experience IMO.

Criticism:

Like the first, it suffers from cramming too much in, although it doesn't let the story suffer.

8/10

Just watched the sequel to Elite Squad- if you can call it that as it is really a stand alone film, Elite Squad, The Enemy Within- 8/10.

I thought the film was really good in capturing the atmosphere, corruption and games in South American politics and drug wars. It is however a bit different to the previous film albeit on similar lines. Quite thought provoking in many ways, some gritty, raw and brutal scenes which are well filmed in there with a lot of dark humour. The opening prison riot is very well shot- it felt more real than some American movies.

As it is a subtitled film being Brazilian, the dialogue can get tricky to follow at times and a perhaps a bit too much use of the shaky camera for some scenes but it is one of the best films I've seen this year. Not everyone's cup of tea but well worth a watch.

Pans labyrith a spanish film. A fairy tale set in 1946 after the spanish civil war.

la haine a french film. A grim story of three folk from a hard estate in paris following a riot started by one of their friends gets beaten nearly to death by the police

Two absolutely tremendous films, they both leave you stunned and i would highly reccomend them to you. Id give them both 9.5/10.

Edited by jojo

Pans labyrith a spanish film. A fairy tale set in 1946 after the spanish civil war.

la haine a french film. A grim story of three folk from a hard estate in paris following a riot started by one of their friends gets beaten nearly to death by the police

Two absolutely tremendous films, they both leave you stunned and i would highly reccomend them to you. Id give them both 9.5/10.

I absolutely love pans labyrinth. And it was kind of through that I found my favourite film, let the right one in.

Went to see the girl with the dragon tattoo last night, really enjoyed it. Haven't read the book or seen the original but it was a good watch.

The Adjustment Bureau

It's an incredibly average film. Not good, but not awful, just meh. It's a brilliant idea for a film but it is executed very poorly IMO. It gets too sentimental, and both aspects of the film (ie. - the love story and the darker story about control) are ruined through the sentimentality. As I said, brilliant idea and the potential for a cracking film was there but the director - who also wrote the screenplay - fucked this one up.

Also there isn't a bad performance from any of the cast, and Terence Stamp puts in the best performance (his character is also the best in the film IMO). They all get pass marks.

6/10

Knockout (2011)

Called Born to Fight in the UK, it's a low budget Canadian teen angst film about a geek transferred from public school to a regular state school in Hicksville USA. He gets bullied and takes up boxing like his grandfather.

Anyway, he gets coached by the janitor, the WWE legend "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and does himself proud. Obvious ending that could be seen a mile off, but if it was Hollywood it wouldn't have ended the way it did.

Look out for Daniel Magder, I think he could go somewhere if his agent gets him more of this sort of role.

6/10

I will have to grab a copy of Warrior on dvd if its as good as you say (you will be sent a bill if it turns out to be gash ;) )

Just download it, although it's definitely worth a tenner or whatever DVDs cost these days.

Edited by SaltyTON

Hostel 3 - Finally got round to watching this all the way through. Fucking terrible. The stoy is pish, the acting's terrible and it isn't even that gory. Totally pointless. The first film was pretty decent, probably down to the fact Tarantino was involved. The second was pretty poor but watchable, this one is just plain awful. Avoid at all costs. 0/10

Hostel 3 - Finally got round to watching this all the way through. Fucking terrible. The stoy is pish, the acting's terrible and it isn't even that gory. Totally pointless. The first film was pretty decent, probably down to the fact Tarantino was involved. The second was pretty poor but watchable, this one is just plain awful. Avoid at all costs. 0/10

I thought this was the worst film I had ever seen until I was made to watch The Human Centipede 2 not that long ago. I've never seen the first one but had obviously heard about it. This film is just vulgar for the sake of it. No real plotline, the acting is horrible and the gore scenes are purely for shock value and add nothing to the film. Piss poor 0/10 also.

I thought this was the worst film I had ever seen until I was made to watch The Human Centipede 2 not that long ago. I've never seen the first one but had obviously heard about it. This film is just vulgar for the sake of it. No real plotline, the acting is horrible and the gore scenes are purely for shock value and add nothing to the film. Piss poor 0/10 also.

Correct, worst film ever made.

Hostel: Part III (Video 2011)

It's not quite Hostel like the first two films, it's more a Banzai style betting live reality murder show.

It is pretty bad, however there is enough wee laughs within it to make it not drag particularly.

Watch it as a horror then it sucks, but as a comedy it was not the worst.

3/10

War Horse

After seeing the trailer months ago I was already hooked, and after tonight I'm blown away. The best epic I've seen in a long time with everything you'd expect from this masterful director. Spielberg is probably the most imaginative filmmaker of all time; in this he pulls off so many audacious and extravagant shots that it doesn't stop being ecstasy to look at. Beautiful and harrowing, with all the ingredients of a masterpiece.

Contains, for me, one of his best-directed scenes of all time: Spielberg's depiction of the battle of the Somme, from the soldiers' and the horse's points of view, is both horrific and awe-inspiring. I'll have to see it again to make a proper opinion but that scene competes with his legendary Normandy landings scene from Saving Private Ryan.

John Williams' score is to die for.

This is to the Jurassic Park kids what Schindler's List was to those that grew up with Jaws. This is Steven Spielberg back to his glorious best for yet another generation to enjoy.

'tis the season for good films to come out, and they keep on coming. 10/10

Game on, Oscars, and we're not done yet! (The Descendants Extremely Loud... & J. Edgar still to come)

Re: Albion Rover

I was humming and hawing about going to see War Horse but I think I'll go see it this week after reading your review.

Other films I'm planning to see this month are:

Shame (that will be incredibly awkward)

J. Edgar

Margin Call

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Coriolanus

The Artist

Edited by yoda

Aye War Horse looks decent, how was Hiddleston in it? After Thor I've got a big hard on for him.

He certainly seems to be the man of the moment just now, not a major role in this film but holds it down just fine.

Briefly on the rest of the cast: it includes many great actors such as Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Mullan and David Thewlis, but in his first feature film Jeremy Irvine gives a great performance as a great Spielberg protagonist. The horse is the hero of the film though, how they managed to get some of the emotions and expressions out of an animal I'd love to know!