What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Frozen River - 7/10

Takes place in the days before Christmas near a little-known border crossing on the Mohawk reservation between New York State and Quebec. Here, the lure of fast money from smuggling presents a daily challenge to single moms who would otherwise be earning minimum wage. Two women - one white, one Mohawk, both single mothers faced with desperate circumstances - are drawn into the world of border smuggling across the frozen water of the St. Lawrence River. Ray and Lila - and a New York State Trooper as opponent in an evolving cat-and-mouse game.

Hadn't even heard of the film when i picked it up in Fopp, but it's really good. Liked the ending as well. I've recently realised i enjoy the majority of films that are set against a snowy backdrop! This really reminded me of Winter's Bone, which is a very good thing.

I picked this up in Fopp a couple of weeks ago. Haven't got round to watching it yet.

Se7en - 9/10

Added to Sky Player this week so thought I would give it a go. Absolutely fantastic film. It's hard to believe that it was released in 1995. The acting was fantastic throughout, especially Spacey who didn't appear until near the end, but what an appearance it was. The final scenes were done really well and had you on the edge of your seat. Overall this will go down as a classic if it's not already

I wouldn't worry about that part

Frozen River - 7/10

Takes place in the days before Christmas near a little-known border crossing on the Mohawk reservation between New York State and Quebec. Here, the lure of fast money from smuggling presents a daily challenge to single moms who would otherwise be earning minimum wage. Two women - one white, one Mohawk, both single mothers faced with desperate circumstances - are drawn into the world of border smuggling across the frozen water of the St. Lawrence River. Ray and Lila - and a New York State Trooper as opponent in an evolving cat-and-mouse game.

Hadn't even heard of the film when i picked it up in Fopp, but it's really good. Liked the ending as well. I've recently realised i enjoy the majority of films that are set against a snowy backdrop! This really reminded me of Winter's Bone, which is a very good thing.

It's good but I strongly recommend Winter's Bone. It has a female heroine but is far more compelling

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. - 10/10 I find it hard to fault the more acclaimed Ghibli films (EDIT: although this isn't technically a Ghibli film it's success allowed the studio to be formed). I'm working my way though every one. This is my joint favorite so far. A fantastic adventure, a nice message as always, great characters, the voice actor who voiced the character in my avatar, beautiful artwork and sensational music.

Edited by Enigma

51 ( 2011 )

Can't say I was too happy with this. It wasn't horrendous or anything, but I was just able to keep interest in it. Basically, Area 51 opens it's doors for reporters to keep people happy. They don't want to give too much away... which is a shame since there's a LOT to give away and it's coming out anyways. It's standard fare, with one dimensional characters and predictable blood and guts, but it plods along easily enough.

Not very impressive.

4/10

Silver Linings Playbook ( 2012 )

I really enjoyed this one. Bradley Cooper is becoming someone who's a must-see for me, and he's just glorious here as a bipolar guy who's a bit too honest for his own good. So he gets set up on a date with a woman who's husband died. She's not quite all there either, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who manages to make a very unlikeable character even halfway likeable, so credit for that. De Niro also reminds us why he's so well renowned with a stunner of a performance as Cooper's dad.

It's damned funny when it's focusing on the comedy, and Cooper definately brings most of the laughs.

8/10

Silver Linings Playbook ( 2012 )

I really enjoyed this one. Bradley Cooper is becoming someone who's a must-see for me, and he's just glorious here as a bipolar guy who's a bit too honest for his own good. So he gets set up on a date with a woman who's husband died. She's not quite all there either, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who manages to make a very unlikeable character even halfway likeable, so credit for that. De Niro also reminds us why he's so well renowned with a stunner of a performance as Cooper's dad.

It's damned funny when it's focusing on the comedy, and Cooper definately brings most of the laughs.

8/10

Yeah it's pretty good, much like most David O Russell films, you're like "wow, this was better than I thought". A romcom with meds and even though it's largely a two hander, there are some really good supporting roles - Chris Tucker being surprisingly non-annoying (and Robert De Niro not phoning it in for once). It's Jennifer Lawrence's movie though, and she looks well nggggh. 8/10

Yeah it's pretty good, much like most David O Russell films, you're like "wow, this was better than I thought". A romcom with meds and even though it's largely a two hander, there are some really good supporting roles - Chris Tucker being surprisingly non-annoying (and Robert De Niro not phoning it in for once). It's Jennifer Lawrence's movie though, and she looks well nggggh. 8/10

Aye, Tucker was good fun in there. He only turned it down a notch or two, but it made a massive difference. De Niro was fabulous in his role, and him not getting a nod for a support in the Golden Globes is a shame, but Cooper definately stole the show anyways. Glorious stuff from him.

I started watching some film on Netflix about an Australian couple who go for a holiday on a remote Island on the Barrier Reef. Crazy shit starts happening etc but had to turn it off about half way through. The acting was on par with The Room tbh, except not hilarious. The lead actor was so wooden it was unreal, he could not act for shit. The lead female was absolutely stunning but dreadful too.

I can't remember the name of it but it was really awful.

The one where there's a little bit of woodland in the middle of the island & the small house? I've seen that. I watched it to the bitter end as well (just because I paid £3.50 for it on demand!)

Can't remember the name of the film either though sorry, was a good while back since I watched that one.

In honour of the thread hitting page 666 I've watched a couple of horror films this week. Absentia, a very low budget flick about a woman who's husband has been missing for 7 years. As she's going thru the process of having him declared dead in absentia he shows up. It's one of those films where the low budget probably helps as the "monster" is kept of screen for pretty much the whole movie meaning they have to rely on the script, acting and the atmosphere. Without giving too much away it's also quite unique. Definitely well worth watching.

Watched The Innkeepers, which conversely was a bag of shite. Clichéd haunted house type film that relies on daft cheap scared for well over an hour and then a terrible last half hour. Kelly McGillis from Top Gun has a supporting role. Anyone from my generation will feel pretty old watching her now.

In honour of the thread hitting page 666 I've watched a couple of horror films this week. Absentia, a very low budget flick about a woman who's husband has been missing for 7 years. As she's going thru the process of having him declared dead in absentia he shows up. It's one of those films where the low budget probably helps as the "monster" is kept of screen for pretty much the whole movie meaning they have to rely on the script, acting and the atmosphere. Without giving too much away it's also quite unique. Definitely well worth watching.

Watched The Innkeepers, which conversely was a bag of shite. Clichéd haunted house type film that relies on daft cheap scared for well over an hour and then a terrible last half hour. Kelly McGillis from Top Gun has a supporting role. Anyone from my generation will feel pretty old watching her now.

Strangely enough I also watched both these films just last week. Bit of a coincidence.

I kinda enjoyed both. Wasnt too keen on the lead female in Absentia, other than that, decent enough. 6.5/10

The Innkeepers was a strange one. I thought the acting was shit, the plot-line was a bit ropey, the special effects (what there were) were done on a budget of a tenner...but I did still think it was pretty good. By accident it would seem. And Kelly McGillis has not aged well at all. 6/10

As has been proved, Im shit at reviewing films, so will keep this short - Black Swan...f**k knows how I ended up watching a film about ballet, but really enjoyed it. Basically a story about Natalie Portman getting the lead role in Swan Lake, and her being convinced that one of her rivals, Mila Kunis is out to sabotage it, and land the lead role herself. Or is it all in her mind? The fact that Natalie and Mila lez it up in one scene makes this a must see for, well basically everyone. 8/10

Edited by Dariusz

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. - 10/10 I find it hard to fault the more acclaimed Ghibli films (EDIT: although this isn't technically a Ghibli film it's success allowed the studio to be formed). I'm working my way though every one. This is my joint favorite so far. A fantastic adventure, a nice message as always, great characters, the voice actor who voiced the character in my avatar, beautiful artwork and sensational music.

The only one I don't really like is Kiki's Delivery Service. But I love Ghibli. Going to the Ghibli museum is genuinely one of the best days of my life.