What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Gone Girl: I guess I'm alone on here - thought it was ridiculously contrived and was unsympathetic to every single character within.

That was something I admired about the film: the development of an emotional line to someone who we know is morally impaired, through the manipulable eyes of modern media. As Ben Affleck’s character says, “There are two sides to every story,” and we’re blind until we’ve seen the mystery from both sides of the marriage. I thought Fincher was very clever with the structure and the perception of the characters, particularly Amy, and would consider the lack of one-dimensional sympathy a strength, not a flaw.

"Contrived" wouldn't be the first adjective I'd use to describe the plot- I thought it was one of the most original movie mysteries in recent years. It's perhaps convenient in places, but to good effect and within the boundaries of creative licence. My biggest complaint is with the dialogue, some of which you definitely could describe as "ridiculous".

It's easy to overlook because it's a Fincher guarantee, but Gone Girl is another technical masterclass: visually meticulous, superbly-acted and another triumph from the chaps from Reznor and Ross in the music department.

Right, spoilerific thoughts on the Gone Girl debate. I will say that I can see why people just can't get invested in the characters, but...

Nick doesn't strike me as a truly bad guy. I actually think he's a brilliantly written character. Has a bad side, a bit naive at times, but there's more good than bad to the guy. He just genuinely seems to be a bit stupid, which also makes the ending sink in easier too.

Amy is just as mental as f**k and completely unsympathetic. That said, she was enjoyable when we went into her story as her "so f**k?" attitude was a joy.

Don't see the problem with the lawyer to be honest. Guy oozed charm, although that's down to Tyler Perry being a sorely underrated actor. He was honest most of the way and also funny too. You got what you got with the guy.

I thought the worst examples of the dialogue were the narration, but you have to remember that much of that was written down or jujst thoughts, so I'm unsure how much you can really get into that.

Onto the score. It was completely overbearing at the start. Actually took the focus away from what was going on, but when the movie started properly building up steam, it just faded away into the background. I don't know if that was something that was actually happening, or if I was just getting more invested in what was going on.

What was wrong with the female cop btw? The sister was a bit annoying, but definitely not "ghastly".

Blootoon87, on 15 Oct 2014 - 21:10, said:

Oldboy (The Korean one). I genuinely don't know what to say here apart from I'm gutted I never seen it coming until he opened the box. It's a pretty hard watch though. 8/10

Don't watch the American version now. It's not the worst American adaptation but as per, it won't hold a candle to the original and you'll end up just being disappointed.

AberdeenBud, on 15 Oct 2014 - 21:22, said:

More than a hint of Marge Gunderson IMO.

To dislike Gunderson would take a serious level of cynicism. Also, the two aren't very alike.

Oh, and there wasn't a male detective. There was an officer assisting Boney. Which is a pretty big difference.

Nothing But the Truth ( 2008 )

Well, this was unexpected. Kate Beckinsale plays a reporter who protects a source that outs a secret CIA agent, even in the face of jail time and family trouble. It's an absolute cracker of a movie, which focuses solely on the battle that the reporter has with pretty much everyone, apart from her lawyer, who remains loyal, and it's the focus on this that makes the final scene an absolute shocker.

9/10

Gone Girl - one of those rare occasions where I've actually preferred the movie to the novel. Obviously Flynn should take some credit for the book and its plot, but Fincher has obviously played a huge part in making it a very successful adaptation and, in my opinion, a more enjoyable one.

Fincher was fairly loyal to the source most of the way, so Flynn deserves more than some credit.

Dark Places is out soon I think actually, which isn't as good as Gone Girl, but still a fun read.

It did feel like Fincher's usual mannerisms when directing were a bit lighter than usual, meaning he must have conceded a lot of what he usually does to stay as faithful to the novel as possible. Less of the slow, moving to side, zoom in, zoom out shots, and not as much of a darker tint on the screen that he likes to implement tint.

When the wife was being interogated at the end, they did not need to make it any more numbingly obvious. While she's playing the victim card and the only woman detective is getting scorned for asking the direct questions; it was probably my only real issue with it. That and her ex's complete naivity and possessiveness at the lakehouse.

The ending scenes were very well executed however, making it feel like in particular Ben Affleck's character was inside a living hell and that is wife could not be beaten. What I liked mostly was using the same shot at the start and the finish to convey just how much our perspectives of both characters had changed over the film.

8.5/10

Harmontown 8/10

A documentary into the genius that is Dan Harmon, after he had gotten fired from Community, and following him as he toured America with his own idiosyncratic podcasts called Harmontown. Gives great insights into his early career, why you could see how he made enemies during it, and why he could be so relatable at times. Spencer is very much the highlight of the film for me, going from someone who lived in his parent's house well into adulthood, and coming out of his shell to become part of the podcast. Recommend highly to all lovers of Community.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Hobbit pt II 7/10

More Martin Freeman face'd antics as the second game film in the Hobbit series continues the journey of the dwarves to the mountain. Still suffers from being utterly reliant reliant on CG scenes, but some of the nicest shots are the wide angle open country ones. The scene in the barrels was just facepalm stuff, but they must just put it in for the kids so shouldn't be too harsh. The Elves are smug arrogant fuckers as usual, but these ones are a little less holier-than-thou, which I liked. The dwarves get to show a bit of individuality in this film and you get a couple of them showing some character, unlike the first film.

Overall I actually quite enjoyed the film, Smaug was done pretty well and there were some decent characters this time round. Better effort than part one anyway.

Bad Boys 7/10

One of the 30 for 30 ESPN films about the Detroit Pistons basketball team that came around during the prominence of the Celtics and Lakers fued of the late 80s, how they used physicality over skill (to an extent) to muscle in (didn't even mean that pun) and become NBA champs. As with most of these 30 for 30 films its just pretty interesting to hear about a sporting achievement from the perspective of those involved in it, this one was no different. Good stuff.

The reason that the woman detective was the only one asking questions is that she was directly involved with the ongoing case and thus had more reason to see an actual conclusion. The rest just liked that there was a final result and wanted it left.

Fincher was fairly loyal to the source most of the way, so Flynn deserves more than some credit.

A writer isn't just responsible for creating a story. It is their responsibility to make that story as engrossing as possible. I guess it's dependent on one's enjoyment of Flynn's writing style. I liked the plot but found her writing style incredibly irritating at times.