Walking Down The Halbeath Road

What an utterly bizarre take this is.
You'd rather be relying on results elsewhere going your way than having it in your own hands?
We may still end up 8th but Ayr's position is very obviously the preferable one to have and didn't think anyone would need to make that point.
I think it's more the hope that kills you than rather than us be happy relying on other results, we very rarely win must win games, there's a reason our fans sing "it's nothing but a heartbreak"

4 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

What an utterly bizarre take this is.

You'd rather be relying on results elsewhere going your way than having it in your own hands?

We may still end up 8th but Ayr's position is very obviously the preferable one to have and didn't think anyone would need to make that point.

Look at it this way: given the opportunity to do so, would you change it so that Dunfermline are a point ahead of Ayr if you knew the Honest Men were playing QoS next week (with the Pars being made to play Partick instead)? 

20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Look at it this way: given the opportunity to do so, would you change it so that Dunfermline are a point ahead of Ayr if you knew the Honest Men were playing QoS next week (with the Pars being made to play Partick instead)? 

Yes, of course I would? Mad question.

7 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:
Queen's Park confirmed 4th in L1 so we'll be back at Firhill in about 10 days.
Just relegate us and be done with it.

When did that change? Was it not always second v forth and third placed team played the league above club.

Always been 4th vs 9th and 2nd vs 3rd unless I'm mistaken.

When did that change? Was it not always second v forth and third placed team played the league above club.

Pretty sure that’s always been the case. Queen’s Park are absolutely brutal, so they shouldn’t pose a threat. More worried about Airdrie or a Montrose side managed by a genuine Pars legend relegating us.

Does the Championship team get the second leg at home in the semi and the final? Think that was the case when we got relegated the last time by Alloa.

Nice to see Dunfermline fans are also despondent about avoiding 9th place.

200.gif

As it is still mathematically possible for Raith to catch Partick (I know it won’t happen), combined with the fact McCall will want a bit of momentum going in to the play-offs, I don’t think it will be a terribly weak team Partick will field. I would still much rather be in Ayr’s shoes.

Back in 2013 we had to beat an already relegated Airdrie to avoid the play-offs, and we lost. We are quite good at fucking these things up. The players will be nervy as f**k and Hughes will probably set us up all wrong again. Can see us drawing and Ayr also drawing tbh.

Our form going into such a crucial time is disgraceful. A group of pea hearted losers.

Absolute shitbags like Joe Chalmers is exactly what we didn't need for a relgation battle. Ambrose is a bombscare. Lawless is done. Donaldson and the keeper are the only decent signings out of a load of January signings. Yogi can GTF.

Ambrose was very clearly our best player yesterday so unsure why he's catching any flak. Think he's been fairy solid for the most part but some fans had already decided he was a bombscare.

We have been terrible this season and would throughly deserve 9th spot. That being said, Ayr are only one point ahead of us so have clearly been utterly shite as well.

The pessimism is well founded but hopefully everyone who goes along on Friday night is positive. The criticism is deserved but really achieves nothing. When there's a still a chance we'll keep fighting, even if the players don't.

Ambrose and Jones I thought had good games. The rest were hopeless. Lawless has put in one, maybe two performances since he came in. Chalmers is alright if you dominate teams just to sweep up in the midfield. He isn’t going to win you any battles. Pybus gives a lot of energy but is not very good at all. In fact, he was absolutely pish yesterday. Comrie and Edwards totally anonymous when they should be exploiting the wide areas as well.

We should be looking to move on the vast majority of our squad once this season is over, regardless of what league we are in. We have Dorrans, Breen, Comrie, Mehmet, Edwards, Fenton, Allan, Todd, Chalmers, O’Hara, Todorov, McCann, Wighton all signed up for next season.

Todd is showing some promising signs and there is definitely a player in McCann, but the rest of them I wouldn’t be sad to see go, out-with the young boys who have barely kicked a ball as that is a bit harsh on them. In fact, Jakub Stolarczyk and Coll Donaldson are the only two I’d keep, and they are bloody loan players. Dom Thomas will be away regardless. Can tell the boy is fed up being treated like a spare p***k at this club. Shambles.

We have Dorrans, Breen, Comrie, Mehmet, Edwards, Fenton, Allan, Todd, Chalmers, O’Hara, Todorov, McCann, Wighton all signed up for next season” 

ruined my Sunday. What a terrible thought having to watch even half of them next season, providing we can convince other teams to take some of them. 

Breen’s last start was 2nd January, Comrie’s last start was 12th March, Jones only league appearance was 11th September - he hasn’t played a single minute under Yogi until yesterday! Why on earth did we start with a back 5 where 60% of them have all been frozen out by the manager, in the biggest game of the season? The 3 of them were clearly lacking match fitness. Breen was alright, but had a sluggish start. Comrie didn’t look particularly good/comfortable at any point and Jones was constantly panicking and got bullied by Graham all game.

McCann’s last start was 26th February and Todorov’s last start was 30th October (Peter Grant’s last game). Taking it to 5 of our 10 outfield players making their first starts in a long time and in a system we haven’t played under Yogi at all, for such a crucial game. The pitch is awful, but I can’t understand where goals were meant to come from yesterday and the ball kept getting hit into spaces where we had no players and nobody seemed to know their roles/responsibilities.

I know Donaldson was injured, but I can’t understand making so many changes for the game. Todorov and McCann as a pairing was awful. Both flicking it on into space, where O’Hara would have been a good option. But they played so close together that it was never going to work.

Lawless was abysmal yesterday and I don’t understand why he played in a system where we weren’t playing with wingers. Did the manager overthink things, or has he just completely lost the plot? His interview is bizarre - thought we were on top in the second half? I can only remember a Todorov header (after subs came on), no other chances/times we worked the keeper, so I have no idea what he thought was happening in the game that meant we didn’t need changes until so late on.

I have no confidence regarding our playoff prospects, given we haven’t turned up away from home for years - this isn’t just a Yogi issue, we had the same issue under Crawford and the team didn’t turn up home or away under Grant. How can we say we are in a good place to get through the playoffs, when we’ll only turn up for 50% of the games?

Breen’s last start was 2nd January, Comrie’s last start was 12th March, Jones only league appearance was 11th September - he hasn’t played a single minute under Yogi until yesterday! Why on earth did we start with a back 5 where 60% of them have all been frozen out by the manager, in the biggest game of the season? The 3 of them were clearly lacking match fitness. Breen was alright, but had a sluggish start. Comrie didn’t look particularly good/comfortable at any point and Jones was constantly panicking and got bullied by Graham all game.

McCann’s last start was 26th February and Todorov’s last start was 30th October (Peter Grant’s last game). Taking it to 5 of our 10 outfield players making their first starts in a long time and in a system we haven’t played under Yogi at all, for such a crucial game. The pitch is awful, but I can’t understand where goals were meant to come from yesterday and the ball kept getting hit into spaces where we had no players and nobody seemed to know their roles/responsibilities.

I know Donaldson was injured, but I can’t understand making so many changes for the game. Todorov and McCann as a pairing was awful. Both flicking it on into space, where O’Hara would have been a good option. But they played so close together that it was never going to work.

Lawless was abysmal yesterday and I don’t understand why he played in a system where we weren’t playing with wingers. Did the manager overthink things, or has he just completely lost the plot? His interview is bizarre - thought we were on top in the second half? I can only remember a Todorov header (after subs came on), no other chances/times we worked the keeper, so I have no idea what he thought was happening in the game that meant we didn’t need changes until so late on.

I have no confidence regarding our playoff prospects, given we haven’t turned up away from home for years - this isn’t just a Yogi issue, we had the same issue under Crawford and the team didn’t turn up home or away under Grant. How can we say we are in a good place to get through the playoffs, when we’ll only turn up for 50% of the games?
Spot on and exactly what I was saying yesterday as well. I don't mind the system change but dubious about trying new things like that with 2 crucial games to go. But as you say, its the number of rusty players lacking match practice that was a big WTF issue. He didnt play DT for weeks after his injury as he needed match practice then here he chuck all of those guys on! FFS...

the game was crying out for some width, players to hit the bye line and get the ball across. Edwards and comrie barely managed that once or twice between them the whole game. Thomas/Kamwa/Ohara should have been on atleast 20 mins before he finally made a change. & he done his usual, throwing on 3 subs in one go which totally ruined any shape we might have had.. nobody had a clue what they were supposed to be doing. It’s not over yet, we know what we have to do in the last game & our home form is quite good. Go with McCann and Ohara, Thomas back in and go for it. We’ve nothing to lose now. 

Players I'd keep:

Donaldson - Composed, quick, gets stuck in. Generally class at this level.

Pybus - Does the simple mucky stuff. Played shite on Saturday and it stood out because he's usually a safe pair of hands in that roll. 

Thomas - Start him every single game. If he has an off day so be it cause when he's on it he's unplayable at this level. 

O Hara - Runs like f**k forever, nippy and does score goals. 

Consideration for Martin (FB) Lawless (RW) and McCann (BL)

Edited by Stoo61

1 hour ago, OwenDAFC said:

We have Dorrans, Breen, Comrie, Mehmet, Edwards, Fenton, Allan, Todd, Chalmers, O’Hara, Todorov, McCann, Wighton all signed up for next season” 

I had forgotten/was totally unaware that Wighton was only on loan at Arbroath. I'd imagine he'll leave in the summer if we go down but think he'd likely be the best striker in L1 if not.

No issue with any of the younger guys staying on. If we're going to be shite then I'd rather it was with players who aren't on big wages.