Walking Down The Halbeath Road

46 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think you guys need a good number of signings in order to have a good season next season, just look at Cove, they also walked the league and have been very poor this season. Might be wring here but is the majority of your team not the same as the one that got relegated?

They were relegated, true. But they were also bookies favourites, along with Killie, to win the league.

1 hour ago, SouthStander1876 said:

I think you guys need a good number of signings in order to have a good season next season, just look at Cove, they also walked the league and have been very poor this season. Might be wring here but is the majority of your team not the same as the one that got relegated?

Aye, we're definitely shiteing it

It's depth we also need not just improvements, and so guys we have who maybe aren't "top end" quality in some people's opinion will still be decent squad players.

We have actually been lucky not to have been impacted by injuries as much as many feared we could, but we've certainly been thin in a few areas this season. So we do need a fair few in IMO

Edited by Heaton

Don’t really have any fears for next season. We’ve thrived in the big/pressure games. The squad management is excellent in terms of McPake. Struggling to think of a dud signing. We’ve got Matty Todd. We’ll probably get £1m+ if Hibs flog Nisbet.

2 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

See here.

...and here.

Not saying we don't need to add but these are the answers to our relegation last season. 

(Always thought Grant was much older than Yogi....but Yogi is a year older?!)

Edited by Stoo61

2 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

I’m surprised any Rovers fans used the phrase ‘out his depth’ for Bene in the Championship. He’ll be fine. He’s a decent Championship centre back, nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe the term out his depth is wrong but definitely saying he couldn't do it at Championship anymore, which after seeing him this season I would say is nonsense. Falkirk and Airdrie have players in the attacking third who could play Championship no bother. He was sound in the cup game against Partick Thistle. only the Dundee game where we lost 4-2 at Dens but we'd gave a couple of kids a go that night so not all entirely his fault. What we've missed for a long time is a leader and that is 100% when Bene is.

3 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

We'll need to strengthen but I suppose depending on who from the out of contract guys doesn't get a new deal or re-signs. As it stands there are seven out of contract - Deniz Mehmet, Aaron Comrie, Rhys Breen, Kyle MacDonald, Paul McGowan (Loan), Kevin O'Hara, Nikolay Todorov. I think all of these players will have a case to get new deal, however it won't be as straight forward as that. Breen has potential offers from England and I'm sure clubs are keeping tabs on the others, especially Mehmet after the season he has had. KRH, Mochrie and Mahon will return to their parent clubs I wouldn't be shocked if McPake was interested in working with them again next season if doable. One of our strongest assets this season has been our togetherness and team spirit. Keeping as many of the current crop and adding 2/3 quality signings would be excellent.

Hopefully Fisher coming back too. I think it works well if he's got 1 or 2 faster, younger guys beside him and he's able to focus a lot on the positioning and focus of the backing. 

There's a lot to be said for someone who is happy playing and has the right temperament to be an effective captain on the pitch and off. 

26 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Falkirk’s thread is absolutely mint at the moment if anyone’s needing a giggle. Few going for McGlynn out 🤣

I’d put my life on them getting fucked off Airdrie in the play-offs, resulting in them all frothing at the mouth, begging him to be sacked. Glorious. 

3 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Would Dundee be due a development fee for Fisher if he was to join?

Surely that’s only if we sign him on a pre-contract and not when he gets released (if he does)?

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t come to us now that it looks fairly likely that Dundee will go up. 

2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I’d put my life on them getting fucked off Airdrie in the play-offs, resulting in them all frothing at the mouth, begging him to be sacked. Glorious. 

Surely that’s only if we sign him on a pre-contract and not when he gets released (if he does)?

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t come to us now that it looks fairly likely that Dundee will go up. 

On their day Falkirk can turn on a performance but they’ve been found wanting this season when it’s a big game, I don’t see it changing. Fancy Airdrie to come up via playoffs and think Inverness will put two or three past them the way they’re going in the Championship.

Yeah that’s more what I meant, if he got released is it as straight forward as no compensation due? Makes sense not to pay anything but I wasn’t 100% sure if they were brought up through the youth you could be due a fee. I agree, he’s not played much since going back to he won’t be playing at all for them in the Premiership if they do go up. 

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Few going for McGlynn out 🤣

Taken them long enough it was clear after the November game at their bit that he was going to be out fought by us. McPake basically said we pitched up there in a game they had to win read their tactics like a book got a cheap goal and left again, criminal for a manager to be mugged off like that especially when he's the manager with a bigger budget and aspirations for the league.

7 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

On their day Falkirk can turn on a performance but they’ve been found wanting this season when it’s a big game, I don’t see it changing. Fancy Airdrie to come up via playoffs and think Inverness will put two or three past them the way they’re going in the Championship.

Yeah that’s more what I meant, if he got released is it as straight forward as no compensation due? Makes sense not to pay anything but I wasn’t 100% sure if they were brought up through the youth you could be due a fee. I agree, he’s not played much since going back to he won’t be playing at all for them in the Premiership if they do go up. 

I think if Dundee offer a contract but he turns it down and leaves they could still be due a development fee.

I seem to remember this happened with Ethan Ross a couple of years and he was a free agent for quite a while as Aberdeen were holding out for cash, and Raith eventually paid up. 

Dundee I suppose could waive their right or ask for something relatively modest in the best interests of a player they weren't fussed about in the first place. Not sure if they could ask for a sell on % in lieu of a fee.

I felt a bit embarrassed for Kai Kennedy when he came up against Benedictus last season. It was like seeing a wee gym poser who thinks he’s a footballer come up against a real man who is a footballer. It was such a humiliating out-classing. Bene would be simultaneously talking to team mates and looking up the pitch whilst taking the ball off Kennedy and brushing him aside. 

When McGlynn signed him I just presumed he knew something we didn’t. Turns out he’s cut from the same cloth as Yogi or Grant, signing players out of vanity rather than what the club needs. 

Credit has to go to David Cook as he gave McPake the freedom to shitfest the path back to winning games and gaining confidence.