Walking Down The Halbeath Road

What a difference a year makes.

Last year in April we faced Queens and ultimately lost at EEP in a match that consigned us to the relegation play offs, which ended up in us deservedly getting relegated to League 1.

That season was genuinely the worst in my time supporting the club and we have had a few stinkers! We had to sit through a campaign where we were led by not one, but two pit stains of Scottish Football and the worst thing was that as fans, we knew they shouldn’t have been here but the board didn’t care. Ultimately it led to a total disconnect between the fans and the board and it seemed like all positive relations that had been built up since the fans saved the club had disappeared.

Fast forward a year and under a new Chief Executive in his first full season, the club is on a real positive track. The bond between the fans, the management team and the players is as strong as I have ever seen and that’s a credit to David Cook. His appointment of James McPake has proven to be an excellent decision.

In the game against QOTS that I mentioned earlier; Chalmers, Edwards, O'Hara and Todd started that game; Breen, Comrie, McCann, Mehmet and Todorov were all on the bench, while Wighton was stuck in Arbroath.

Fast forward a year and McPake and his coaching team have improved every player. They are realising the potential of Matty Todd in an advanced midfield role, they have helped change Joe Chalmers from being a scapegoat to a fans favourite, they have turned an error making goalkeeping like Mehmet into a clean sheet machine and they have made Craig Wighton remember that he’s actually pretty fucking good at this game.

One defeat in 33 league games is truly astonishing. The club is in a really good place to go on and be successful in the Championship next season. Of course, we need some additions for a higher level and there will be a few who aren’t ready for the step up just yet, however under McPake and his team with the backing of an enthusiastic support behind them, I think there’s more good times ahead.

🏁

Edited by Parscelona

McPake and Cook have made EEP a positive place to be at again. Not only have we won the league at a canter, it's obvious they have made the place attractive for talented players. Of course there is the financial aspect of that, in that we can offer good wages, but that isn't always a guarantee for success. Christ, look at the amount of money that would have been pished up against the wall last season. 

Sam Fisher, KRH, and Calum Gallagher for me are the three we should be making a priority to sign. Exciting times ahead!

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Sam Fisher, KRH, and Calum Gallagher for me are the three we should be making a priority to sign. Exciting times ahead!

I genuinely think we will sign Fisher. He's not played much since going back to Dundee and is at our games if Dundee aren't playing at the same time. He's out of contract and if Dundee go up there's no chance he'll play in the Prem if he's not playing in the Championship.

KRH sounds great but he's on a very big wage at Rangers apparently, a wage that we might have paid to Stevie Crawford when he was at his peak in the SPL and the club were paying a fortune. I think the only chance we see KRH in a Pars shirt next season is if Rangers give him a new deal and we can get him back on loan, which sounds doable. I'm sure they'll be happy he's played a key role in a title winning team and can now challenge himself at the next level.

Gallagher would be unlikely I think. I can't remember if it was on the Raith thread or just Twitter but there was a conversation between Raith and Airdrie fans about Gallagher, Raith were talking about a potential signing due to him previously working under Murray but the Airdrie fans were quick to say Gallagher is a bit of a Rory McCallister, good job outside of football so wouldn't be looking to go full time.

I'd be shocked if Euan Murray doesn't arrive back at East End in the summer. Heard a wee rumour after his attempted loan move failed in January that should we get promoted he'd be in the door.

3 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Class thing about getting league wrapped up with games to spare is being able to steal a march on a lot of teams recruitment wise.

In some respects yes although board won't be able to finalise budgets until all 10 teams in the championship are known. Dundee United down and Falkirk up would allow for a bigger budget than County down and Airdrie up for example.

32 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Class thing about getting league wrapped up with games to spare is being able to steal a march on a lot of teams recruitment wise.

Nailed it mate, by the sounds of things there's been conversations ongoing throughout the season but I think only Raith in the Championship are confirmed to be in that division. Everyone else can either be promoted or relegated.

I wonder how McPake will be approaching the last 3 games in terms of renewing deals for next season. Will it be a case of “you have 3 games to show me why you should be here next season” for the likes of MacDonald, Todorov and O’Hara? 

11 minutes ago, smpar said:

I wonder how McPake will be approaching the last 3 games in terms of renewing deals for next season. Will it be a case of “you have 3 games to show me why you should be here next season” for the likes of MacDonald, Todorov and O’Hara? 

It's a weird one, I think he'll want to keep the unbeaten run going but fair chance he gives boys a game. Truth be told I think Airdrie is the only game where we'll be up against it because they can technically still overtake Falkirk. I think by time we play Clyde they'll be 100% in 9th place so may be taking it easy ahead of the relegation playoffs and by time we play Alloa they'll also have secured 4th meaning they'll have an eye on the promotion playoffs too.

I happened to notice on Saturday that when he was making his final change he pulled both Todorov and MacDonald to one side outside the dugout and had a wee word with them both. I'm sure he was saying they'd see game time over the next three games. 

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Think MacDonald and Todorov have played enough for the management to have made their minds up. O'Hara not so much due to injury, but can’t see why three games be enough for a manager to decide either way.

Personally hope MacDonald stays. Not much bothered either way about Todorov. Definitely would like to see O'Hara go.

16 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

If we get 6k at the trophy game there is a small chance we can overtake Dundee in average attendances and be the best supported lower league club.

Crowd w**k trophy to go with the league one 🏆

Nah, Dundee will surely have more at their final home game, especially if they can win the league then (which may be possible depending on results). Even if they have to take it to the last day, I reckon Dens will see a big crowd.

2 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Benedictus must be the best signing we've made this side of administration.  If we're talking permanent signings, maybe since Brewster.  

Raith fans seem to think Bene will be out his depth next season. I think it was more that he was coming off a bad injury in his last season with them. If they think boys with pace are going to do him, just ask how many times did the boy Burrell get the better of him this season, very little if at all and I've not seen much quicker than him of late. I think he'll be absolutely sound.

The management team and overall morale is vastly different.  Most of the players who got relegated last season had played at Championship level (or above) before and managed to avoid going down. 

I reckon our current squad, loanees included, would be OK in the Championship.  We will no doubt make some signings however, but also might be struggling to get KRH back.  

20 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Raith fans seem to think Bene will be out his depth next season. I think it was more that he was coming off a bad injury in his last season with them. If they think boys with pace are going to do him, just ask how many times did the boy Burrell get the better of him this season, very little if at all and I've not seen much quicker than him of late. I think he'll be absolutely sound.

At least we get to find out.  Someone mentioned this when we signed him but there was general agreement that the biggest concern was not ending up stuck in League One.  If he's more of a backup next season, and we're somewhere in the top half, he'll still have been a great addition.

29 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I’m surprised any Rovers fans used the phrase ‘out his depth’ for Bene in the Championship. He’ll be fine. He’s a decent Championship centre back, nothing more, nothing less.

With us, I always felt his biggest strength was also his biggest weakness, he was very aggressive at trying to win the ball, which can be an asset but also made him prone to a few errors.

We also tended to have our centre backs on the ball a lot and play high up the pitch to try to dominate possession which would leave a lot of space in behind for him to be exposed. He’s definitely at his best just being asked to be a defender and defend his box.

He’s not good enough to be a regular starter for a title challenging side in the Championship but he was the centre back that started most games when we finished 3rd two seasons ago so no reason he can’t play a part in a side aiming for the play offs. Would be stunned if replicated this seasons level of performance in the Championship but he’ll be fine.

32 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Will be a return to the back 3/5 I’d imagine. Bene in the middle of a 3 with 2 of Fisher/Breen/Murray would be fine in the championship. Even in a 4, he’d probably be ok most weeks with a more mobile partner - particularly if opponents play with 1 striker. Also got mobility of Comrie (or a new RB) and Edwards at full back and Hamilton protecting the defence.

We need to strengthen the team, everyone knows that. But Benedictus will be a starter most weeks, unless he really struggles.