Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I felt a bit embarrassed for Kai Kennedy when he came up against Benedictus last season. It was like seeing a wee gym poser who thinks he’s a footballer come up against a real man who is a footballer. It was such a humiliating out-classing. Bene would be simultaneously talking to team mates and looking up the pitch whilst taking the ball off Kennedy and brushing him aside. 

When McGlynn signed him I just presumed he knew something we didn’t. Turns out he’s cut from the same cloth as Yogi or Grant, signing players out of vanity rather than what the club needs. 

Credit has to go to David Cook as he gave McPake the freedom to shitfest the path back to winning games and gaining confidence. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Mental that I was actually jealous of their appointment last summer.

You and me both brer. 

With regards to Fisher, if Dundee offer him a contract matching, or exceeding his current terms they will be due a development fee. It's plausible that Dundee transfer the player to us for free while then asking for a large sell on fee, however for that to make financial sense they'd have to beleive he would actually get a transfer fee. 

He'll be on peanuts, I'll be surprised if Dundee don't offer him a contract to safeguard there investment. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

You and me both brer. 

With regards to Fisher, if Dundee offer him a contract matching, or exceeding his current terms they will be due a development fee. It's plausible that Dundee transfer the player to us for free while then asking for a large sell on fee, however for that to make financial sense they'd have to beleive he would actually get a transfer fee. 

He'll be on peanuts, I'll be surprised if Dundee don't offer him a contract to safeguard there investment. 

Exactly. They know we want him so they'd be daft not to make him an offer of what he is on, even if he knocks it back. I reckon we will be paying something but can't see it being a lot. 

53 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Fisher played enough games to get a medal? Good opportunity to get him down to East End and signed up.

Don't think this is a thing in Scotland. You just get X amount of medals and then can buy additional ones to dish out as you see fit.

2 hours ago, Heaton said:

Time to cash in for Hibs. What is it, 1 year left he has on their contract? 

Screenshot_20230419_111717_Chrome.jpg

Yep, he has one year left by the looks of things. Hibs will surely look to cash in this summer, and they know he isn't really committed to Hibs anyway given what happened in the January window. Should be able to get about 2-2.5 million for him no problem. 

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but just been listening to the latest episode of Open Goal, Keeping the Ball on the Ground. They started off by congratulating Spartans and ourselves for our respective league wins. The panel this week of Si Ferry, Derek Ferguson, Scott Allan and Kev Kyle spoke highly about the Pars, Scott Allan in particular who said it was really good to see us back in the Championship and he'd be interested on how we do next season. He's a pal of McPake, worked together at Dundee, car share etc, wonder if he could be at East End next season. I know he's not really featuring for Arbroath but lets be honest, their style this season isn't suited for Scotty Allan.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but just been listening to the latest episode of Open Goal, Keeping the Ball on the Ground. They started off by congratulating Spartans and ourselves for our respective league wins. The panel this week of Si Ferry, Derek Ferguson, Scott Allan and Kev Kyle spoke highly about the Pars, Scott Allan in particular who said it was really good to see us back in the Championship and he'd be interested on how we do next season. He's a pal of McPake, worked together at Dundee, car share etc, wonder if he could be at East End next season. I know he's not really featuring for Arbroath but lets be honest, their style this season isn't suited for Scotty Allan.

I could be wrong but I thought Scott Allan had to go part time due to an underlying health condition.

10 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Congrats on bouncing right back up, since it’s been a few days now, what’s the necessary surgery gonna be on the team for the Championship next year? Major overhaul, or a tune up?

Expect 5/6 new faces, I’d imagine. McPake has openly said we need to strengthen. We’ll obviously try to keep all of our regular starters, but they won’t all necessarily be first choice next season.

Euan Murray been linked with a return. As has Sam Fisher, who we had on loan first half of the season. Watched McPake on plz soccer today and he said we need another striker. If we want to compete at the top of the championship, he says we need a 20 goal a season striker and another who gets double figures (or close to). Think we’ll see some new creative players come in too - we’ve been reliant on loan players in KRH and Mochrie for that this season. We’ve also struggled massively when Todd was out, so we definitely need to add depth in attack-minded midfielders.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Congrats on bouncing right back up, since it’s been a few days now, what’s the necessary surgery gonna be on the team for the Championship next year? Major overhaul, or a tune up?

Alright there TX! It's a perfectly fair and reasonable question, however I can't pass up a chance for a solid crowd w**k, or a decent "I told ye so". 

Do you remember that time where you reckoned our attendances would fall by 50%?

On 12/05/2022 at 19:10, TxRover said:

Agree on link, bigger club than better placed is marginal, as he’d be a viable candidate for any top of the Championship job, and so right now potential is not really an easy choice favoring the Pars. The biggest problem is where does the cash come from? ST and ticket revenue will likely fall by at least 50%, 

Well we've currently averaged 1,100 more than last year, because Dunfermline are absolutely massive. 

Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Couple of players out of contract we'll try and keep, couple of loanees we'd love to keep but might not be able to, couple of quality additions in key areas (centre back and centre forward probably) definitely needed, some extra bodies to supplement the small squad - probably the usual you hear from a newly promoted side I guess. A lot will depend on how well we are able to remain solid next season (no way will we register as many clean sheets), if we can keep Todd fit and healthy, if we can get Ritchie-Hosler back or a suitable replacement signed and if we can get some extra firepower..

4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Alright there TX! It's a perfectly fair and reasonable question, however I can't pass up a chance for a solid crowd w**k, or a decent "I told ye so". 

Do you remember that time where you reckoned our attendances would fall by 50%?

Well we've currently averaged 1,100 more than last year, because Dunfermline are absolutely massive. 

Thank you. 

I said it, I own it. So, with the playing budget down next year due to expectations of smaller crowds…

I am surprised you were able to hold a pretty good line on ticket prices while doing that, what do you attribute it to? I could be cynical and suggest a competitive team versus last year would be the reason, but why kick you when you were (going) down.

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Expect 5/6 new faces, I’d imagine. McPake has openly said we need to strengthen. We’ll obviously try to keep all of our regular starters, but they won’t all necessarily be first choice next season.

Euan Murray been linked with a return. As has Sam Fisher, who we had on loan first half of the season. Watched McPake on plz soccer today and he said we need another striker. If we want to compete at the top of the championship, he says we need a 20 goal a season striker and another who gets double figures (or close to). Think we’ll see some new creative players come in too - we’ve been reliant on loan players in KRH and Mochrie for that this season. We’ve also struggled massively when Todd was out, so we definitely need to add depth in attack-minded midfielders.

Makes sense, but good luck on that shopping list for forwards. The whole of the f**king Championship seems to have spent the year bemoaning the lack of said strikers.

3 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Couple of players out of contract we'll try and keep, couple of loanees we'd love to keep but might not be able to, couple of quality additions in key areas (centre back and centre forward probably) definitely needed, some extra bodies to supplement the small squad - probably the usual you hear from a newly promoted side I guess. A lot will depend on how well we are able to remain solid next season (no way will we register as many clean sheets), if we can keep Todd fit and healthy, if we can get Ritchie-Hosler back or a suitable replacement signed and if we can get some extra firepower..

So, Bene looks capable of the Championship still? Two years ago he was looking a bit wobbly, but, of course, he was trying to work with Davo and a cast of fill-ins. Should be interesting to se how he is treated back as SP…I suspect pretty well, but you never know.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I said it, I own it. So, with the playing budget down next year due to expectations of smaller crowds…

I am surprised you were able to hold a pretty good line on ticket prices while doing that, what do you attribute it to? I could be cynical and suggest a competitive team versus last year would be the reason, but why kick you when you were (going) down.

The appointment of Grant last pre season killed season ticket sales, it quickly became apparent that under him we were in real trouble so attendances suffered from the start, with the whole season being a dirge and the appointment of Hughes didn't rescue it. 

There wasn't a massive amount of optimism with McPake but it did at least become apparent early on we were in a title race, fans just prefer watching a winning/good team even if it's a tier below.