Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Just a yellow for me as well, which was my initial reaction looking at it live. A cynical, tactical foul but not dangerous. Hamilton needs to spend less time chatting to refs, he gets too many yellows for dissent, that was probably why he was hooked at half time and we miss his bite in the middle.

1 hour ago, parxyz said:

Think by the laws of the game its a yellow. But as others have said, in my opinion those sort of tackles where there's no attempt to play the ball and there's some sort of lunge should probably warrant a more severe punishment than your usual 'take one for the team' pull backs etc. An orange card perhaps.

Could the old sinbin raise it's head again 😎

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Lunging from the side with excessive force.. endangering an opponent. Yes to both so it’s a red card. Can’t see how it’s even up for debate. 

Probably because the ref correctly gave a yellow but hey ho, maybe buy some specs if you can't see that. 😉

Surprised there’s no real mention of Benedictus in the post-match stuff. Seemed to indicate he had a groin injury when he was brought off. Hopefully nothing major, but I’d probably rest him on Tuesday, if Breen, Otoo and Fisher are all fit.

21 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

Probably because the ref correctly gave a yellow but hey ho, maybe buy some specs if you can't see that. 😉

Apologies for the slow reply but I couldn’t find my reading glasses. I’ve taken the liberty of posting the primary meaning of excessive and will examine it in the context of this tackle.

image.jpeg.bffcccdf2e82cc32917331d0159dafa6.jpeg

Could Lewis McCann, running at full speed, have been stopped with a little shirt pull or a sly trip, or a little push? From having watched, admittedly without glasses, many games of football, it’s abundantly clear that a player can be knocked out of their stride with quite minimal intervention from an opponent.

We therefore have to conclude that if one watches the highlights and believes the force used in the tackle is in excess of a little tug or trip then it is “excessive”. Through the wonders of language, this leads the brain to deduce that if the law says “excessive force” is a red card and excessive force has demonstrably been used, then I’m afraid “that’s a yellow” isn’t really correct. 

And that’s before we get to endangering an opponent. We lost fair and square though. If a Pars player had made that challenge and got sent off I’d have thought “silly boy” and had no complaints. Would be delighted to see plenty of those tackles dished out now we’ve established it’s only a yellow card offence.

28 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Football fans under normal circumstances: "The game's gone soft! It's a contact sport! You can't even tackle anymore!" 

Football fans when their favourite player is fouled: "This is a war crime!" 

You honestly think a tackle like that has a place in the game? Jeez.

9 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

You honestly think a tackle like that has a place in the game? Jeez.

It's a yellow card. It's very clearly a foul, and as others have touched on, it's the kind of cynical foul that you could definitely argue should be a red card, but in the same way that a shirt pull could be. He's got no intention playing the ball, he's just trying to stop a counter attack. 

It looks worse than it is because McCann, wisely, sees it coming and is trying to hurdle Murray, so he ends up in the air. But it's not straight legged, it's not studs up and his foot isn't high. Barring the obvious freak occurrences that can happen whenever someone slides in, there's no outsized prospect of a serious injury occurring. 

If I was in the stand, and that was a Rovers player, I'd be going tonto, obviously, and no doubt screaming for a red card. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a yellow card offence. 

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Football fans under normal circumstances: "The game's gone soft! It's a contact sport! You can't even tackle anymore!" 

Football fans when their favourite player is fouled: "This is a war crime!" 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

If a Pars player had made that challenge and got sent off I’d have thought “silly boy” and had no complaints. Would be delighted to see plenty of those tackles dished out now we’ve established it’s only a yellow card offence.

I mean McCann pretty much did the same thing later on and most pars fans cheered it given the context. 

On 22/07/2023 at 21:48, DA Baracus said:

Obviously wish we'd won and not good that we're probably out of the cup, but not the end of the world ("nobody died" as some flange would say).

Read this post a good 20 minutes ago and still chuckling at the use of ‘flange.’

On 23/07/2023 at 00:44, itzdrk said:

There is

Looks like your bog standard stop the counter attack yellow card.  What's the fuss about? 

It’s been debated to death but no chance is that just a ‘bog standard stop the counter attack yellow card.’ Murray has lunged in with a lot more force than he needed to stop McCann. 

Seeing it in person I thought it was a red card and the bitterness meant I couldn't  be objective for two days. On watching the replay it's probably somewhere in-between and can understand the referee giving a yellow card. A different referee gives a red but that's Scottish officiating for you. 

On the subject of excessive force etc, what is the maximum number of Newtons allowed to be put into a tackle? These are the sorts of questions we really need answered by the authorities 

8 minutes ago, Nat Weederburn said:

On the subject of excessive force etc, what is the maximum number of Newtons allowed to be put into a tackle? These are the sorts of questions we really need answered by the authorities 

If the door is primed to open once activated, the extent of the initial applied load can sometimes be quite minimal.