Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Can’t agree with this. I think there’s quite a big difference. Having played in both a back 3 and a back 4 myself, there’s a massive difference. Middle man of the back 3 is effectively either a sweeper, or man marking a loan striker. Also responsible for organising/leading the defence. There’s a reason Hamilton’s been put there ahead of perhaps more natural defenders.

Playing in a CB pairing in a back 4 and playing RCB/LCB in a back 3 are also very different roles. Wider players in the 3 need to be able to provide wide cover in a full back position, if the wing backs push up. They’re also usually asked to carry the ball forward themselves, so need a bit more mobility/ball playing ability than you tend to need playing centrally in a traditional back 4. That’s only possible due to the ‘safety net’ of the sweeper/central man behind them in a back 3.

There might be different roles and responsibilities but that's up to the manager to instruct and make sure everyone is happy. Perhaps less experienced players might struggle to adapt but I think Ashcroft would be fine. There's players currently in the team with a bigger change in responsibility, like Aaron Comrie for example, he isn't a big guy, he's a wing back but can slot into centre half when required. I think Ashcroft would be fine playing 10ft to the left or right and seeing a bit more of the ball. Likelihood is it's going to Chalmers so a 20 yard pass at best?

One thing he might not have is the ability to run on like Otoo, but to be fair, Fisher does little of that from the right centre half position so maybe not necessary. Also, Bene is good with the ball so could play as the wide right man.

Either way, I think Ashcroft would be a useful addition. Breen's injury record isn't great so would be good to have more cover, even when all fit.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What if the opposition own all their own players? 😀

But yes, absolutely there's a difference. Some players look comfortable in both, but plenty others manage to look good in one and totally go to pieces in the other. Thankfully we seem to have several who are decent enough in both (at least in theory) so we can move in-game.

Thats poor from me. No idea why I got lone/loan mixed up there.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Can see why fans get ignored when folk think there’s no difference for a centre half between playing as a pair or as part of a back three.

Absolutely does my head in when fans suggest that managers should just move to a back three or back five. It’s the same as people thinking that full backs that are very good at getting forward can automatically play as a wing back with no one in front of them. 

FWIW I think Dunfermline are one of the few sides I’ve seen have a good run with a back 5/3 and have success with it at this level. We tried it with McCall on a few occasions in League 1 and looked lost. Hopkin tried it in the Championship and we looked junior standard. It’s a really hard thing for a manager to implement but McPake seems to the balance right so far. Just lacking a bit up front at times. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Absolutely does my head in when fans suggest that managers should just move to a back three or back five. It’s the same as people thinking that full backs that are very good at getting forward can automatically play as a wing back with no one in front of them. 

FWIW I think Dunfermline are one of the few sides I’ve seen have a good run with a back 5/3 and have success with it at this level. We tried it with McCall on a few occasions in League 1 and looked lost. Hopkin tried it in the Championship and we looked junior standard. It’s a really hard thing for a manager to implement but McPake seems to the balance right so far. Just lacking a bit up front at times. 

Johnston built an entire squad around playing a back 3 in summer 2018. It lasted a 2 or 3 games and he was sacked a few months later....

6 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Johnston built an entire squad around playing a back 3 in summer 2018. It lasted a 2 or 3 games and he was sacked a few months later....

Aye I distinctly remember the game at Somerset where Alan Forrest ran the back line ragged. Think it was Danny Devine that was subbed off in the first half and had a hissy fit in the dugout. 

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I distinctly remember the game at Somerset where Alan Forrest ran the back line ragged. Think it was Danny Devine that was subbed off in the first half and had a hissy fit in the dugout. 

That’s the one.  Mark Durnan was preferred in a back four v Devine.  Any wonder the guy had a hissy fit, despite being a tad shite himself.  What an absolute shitshow that season was.  To be fair to Ayr that day, from memory between Moffat Shankland and Forrest, they made us look even worse by having a stormer of a game.  That was the game I realised Shankland had been made into a player.

Edited by parsboi

14 hours ago, par-adise said:

Our first league game of that season turning over Utd at Tannadice it worked a treat. We'd been up at Dens a week or so earlier in the league Cup and turned them over tae. I really thought it was going to work. Ended up staying up by 3 points 😂😂

50 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Our first league game of that season turning over Utd at Tannadice it worked a treat. We'd been up at Dens a week or so earlier in the league Cup and turned them over tae. I really thought it was going to work. Ended up staying up by 3 points 😂😂

In the pub post match at Tannadice I put 20 quid on us to win the league. 

Bad decision in hindsight.