Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I said in the summer that there needs to be an element of ruthlessness when it comes to the squad and that's even more applicable this coming summer.

There's some players who simply aren't good enough if we want to be challenging near the top, and some who are simply too injury prone. 

12 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Agree. I’m now well over the fact that we’re not good enough to compete in the playoffs this season, as we suspected. All about staying in the division this season. A lot of our big players won’t be fit until near the end of the season, so hopefully they get a couple of appearances here and there before the end of the season and are raring to go in pre-season.

I keep hearing Rovers fans say about the similarities between us this season and them last season. Last season they had bad injuries, similar to us and rarely had more than four on the bench. I think they finished 7th and by the sounds of it were a pretty tough watch. Completely different animal this season with some great signings and all players back fit.

Just re-read this, was typing on my phone in a rush last night. Just the word season 8 times... SEASON

I would argue that with our full squad we would have been challenging the top spot right now. We’ve only suffered narrow defeats in the league from Dundee and Raith.
The top two are there on merit, but I think a fully fit Pars team would have been a spanner in their works. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I said in the summer that there needs to be an element of ruthlessness when it comes to the squad and that's even more applicable this coming summer.

There's some players who simply aren't good enough if we want to be challenging near the top, and some who are simply too injury prone.

I agree, however the problem is most of them are under contract.

I have a soft spot for any of our team from last season, it wasn't always pretty but I thoroughly enjoyed the team spirit etc. However, we need to be real and realise some aren't good enough.

Mehmet - I feel for him because he was so stable when he had a solid, regular defence in front of him and someone like Bene leading but he's been poor this season. Still another two years!

Allan - Just not good enough. Decent enough player but doesn't have any attributes that really make him stand out. I know someone had to do the dirty work but I can't say he does that greatly either. Not sure on his contract info but I don't think he's warranted a new one. I personally think he's only seeing this much game time due to injuries.

Chalmers - he doesn't shy away from the ball, takes it and can be brave but he can also be wasteful, he doesn't score, assists have dried up and players go past him like a hot knife through butter. I don't think he's good enough for where we want to go but he's under contract.

MOH - I think he tries and is being played out of position, but is he what we need? Still not sure. Again, he'll be here next season unless someone came in for him.

Wighton - I really like him, good link up play but centre forward isn't a strong position for him, not at this level anyway. I wouldn't necessarily say he's one I want to leave, but I don't think he should be the lead of our attack and  not sure he's wanting to play wider etc.

One that might surprise people, but Rhys Breen - injury after injury after injury, was similar last season. There comes a point where that isn't ideal. Again, I think he's under contract until the end of next season. A fit Breeny can be really handy but how often do we have a fit Breeny?

Edited by The Toun Clock

1 minute ago, The Toun Clock said:

One that might surprise people, but Rhys Breen - injury after injury after injury, was similar last season. There comes a point where that isn't ideal.

Doesn't surprise me; that's exactly who I was thinking of when I noted injury prone players!

I think the only out of contract players in June is Andy Tod, Jakubaik, Max Little, Miller Fenton and Paul Allan. 

I'd keep Tod and Jak(Dependent on salary) and let the others go with your best wishes, but your biggest problem is that you have players under contract who you'd might want to move on... 

Dundee have confirmed Sharp has returned. Hopefully we see movement with regard to getting a goalkeeper in or even a loan now that Sharp going frees up a position, wage and of course a loan. 

21 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I think the only out of contract players in June is Andy Tod, Jakubaik, Max Little, Miller Fenton and Paul Allan. 

I'd keep Tod and Jak(Dependent on salary) and let the others go with your best wishes, but your biggest problem is that you have players under contract who you'd might want to move on... 

Then there's the Edwards situation which is a bit of a mystery. Out of contract in the summer but the club confirmed via the supporters meeting there's an option for an additional year. There's been no formal announcement that we've triggered it so I suppose the assumption is we're trying to get him tied down for longer. Would be delighted if we could keep him, a rare bright spot in a forgettable season so far.

43 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

At this point in time I would keep Tod and punt the rest.

Jak has the rest of the season to prove is worth. Problem is none of the other three will be on much money at all so you can probably bring in 1 championship starter for their combined wages.

Mehmet for me is an absolutely fine second choice/ cup keeper however getting a promotion standard keeper would be massive along with a CB.

Glad to see Sharp go back in all honesty didn't really impress and was taking up a wage & loan spot.

Good to see Sharp return - I'm actually OK with Mehmet but there needs to be a stronger keeper pushing him (and ideally pushing him to number 2). 

The following are currently heading out the door if it was me: 

• Little
  • Allan
  • Wighton
  • Breen
  • Jak (quite like him but needs to show more)
  • MOH

At the other end of the conversation, the players who are very safe:

• Bene (I'll be looking for an injury free season next year, otherwise I'd be starting to move him on)
  • Otoo
  • Edwards
  • McCann (will be looking for more predictable contributions though)
  • Hamilton (need to get him in more natural position)
  • Todd
  • KRH (like Bene, will need a relatively injury free season)
  • Possibly Comrie
  • Possibly Chalmers

Outside that last list, I'd be monitoring the market for upgrades and replacements. There needs to be squad progression each season.

In terms of the loanee's, with Sharp gone, would take any of them on permanent if it were an option.

As others have said, I genuinely think the squad is strong enough for this point in the rebuild. Had we not had the injury crisis, I think we'd be up challenging for 3 at least, and with a good run, think we'd have taken points from both Raith and United, and would have an outside chance of challenging for 2nd. As such, I think McPake's doing a really good job, even if there's room for improvements.

43 minutes ago, 101 said:

Mehmet for me is an absolutely fine second choice/ cup keeper however getting a promotion standard keeper would be massive along with a CB.

I think Mehmet will perform better with a stronger defensive line in front of him 

1 hour ago, VinnyPar said:

Then there's the Edwards situation which is a bit of a mystery. Out of contract in the summer but the club confirmed via the supporters meeting there's an option for an additional year. There's been no formal announcement that we've triggered it so I suppose the assumption is we're trying to get him tied down for longer. Would be delighted if we could keep him, a rare bright spot in a forgettable season so far.

Could it be that some team have offered cash to prevent the year option from being triggered? 
is that even possible? 

Edited by Wacky

36 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I think Mehmet will perform better with a stronger defensive line in front of him 

I guess we have already seen that, you don't break all the clean sheet records, regardless of level, without being decent enough.

That said the coaching staff should be identifying the character he needs in defence and bringing that organiser in or improving the communication and organisation of Hamilton, Fisher and Breen

Did Mehmet get tested last season the same as this? He's just not good enough and if we get our wish of another contender for the no1 shirt, he'll likely be one of the best paid back up keepers in the league.

A massive own goal IMO offering the deal we did. 1 year to see how this season went would have been logical.

2 hours ago, AuldReekie said:

Good to see Sharp return - I'm actually OK with Mehmet but there needs to be a stronger keeper pushing him (and ideally pushing him to number 2). 

The following are currently heading out the door if it was me: 

• Little
  • Allan
  • Wighton
  • Breen
  • Jak (quite like him but needs to show more)
  • MOH

At the other end of the conversation, the players who are very safe:

• Bene (I'll be looking for an injury free season next year, otherwise I'd be starting to move him on)
  • Otoo
  • Edwards
  • McCann (will be looking for more predictable contributions though)
  • Hamilton (need to get him in more natural position)
  • Todd
  • KRH (like Bene, will need a relatively injury free season)
  • Possibly Comrie
  • Possibly Chalmers

Outside that last list, I'd be monitoring the market for upgrades and replacements. There needs to be squad progression each season.

In terms of the loanee's, with Sharp gone, would take any of them on permanent if it were an option.

As others have said, I genuinely think the squad is strong enough for this point in the rebuild. Had we not had the injury crisis, I think we'd be up challenging for 3 at least, and with a good run, think we'd have taken points from both Raith and United, and would have an outside chance of challenging for 2nd. As such, I think McPake's doing a really good job, even if there's room for improvements.

Think this is harsh on Fisher, unless you’ve just missed him by mistake? Particularly when you’re looking at Comrie/Chalmers as possibly being on the very safe list. If everyone was fit, I’d rather have Fisher than Comrie at RCB and rather see KRH at RWB, so not sure what role Comrie would be very safe in.

We’ll need to upgrade Breen’s role in the team and add more depth, if we want to challenge for promotion. We need a new keeper too and better players than Allan as midfield cover. Upgrading attacking options is an absolute must. I just don’t think Jakubiak or Wighton are the answer to improving our scoring return. Agree with your list of players to get rid of. Only issue is, the majority of them are under contract for next year.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Think this is harsh on Fisher, unless you’ve just missed him by mistake? Particularly when you’re looking at Comrie/Chalmers as possibly being on the very safe list. If everyone was fit, I’d rather have Fisher than Comrie at RCB and rather see KRH at RWB, so not sure what role Comrie would be very safe in.

We’ll need to upgrade Breen’s role in the team and add more depth, if we want to challenge for promotion. We need a new keeper too and better players than Allan as midfield cover. Upgrading attacking options is an absolute must. I just don’t think Jakubiak or Wighton are the answer to improving our scoring return. Agree with your list of players to get rid of. Only issue is, the majority of them are under contract for next year.

Yep. Missed Fisher. Safe. 

3 hours ago, AuldReekie said:

Bene (I'll be looking for an injury free season next year, otherwise I'd be starting to move him on)

part of the reason we didn’t offer him as much as pars was I think he had a couple of bad injuries with us and always had a longish spell out most seasons,