Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I know we shouldn't focus too much on the injuries because some of the performances have been well below par, however without them I think we'd be comfortable mid table, battling for that 4th place. People can doubt that if they want but the truth is we managed the first half of the season with a threadbare team and were still 4th. It wasn't until the turn of the year when even the squad players stated dropping we found ourselves in real trouble.

If we were still battling for 4th then this heat on the board wouldn't be there at all and ourselves and Raith wouldn't really be comparing much. However, because of the injuries and poor performance of those who've been available, we've found ourselves on a really bad run and hovering above the relegation hatch. As a result we're comparing to what Raith are doing and what we're doing and it's really not great reading.

Raith are having a once in two decade type season, and that's fine. It just so happens when we're having a particularly bad time and it's easy to bump our gums.

However, there is one comparison I will make between the two clubs at the moment and that is the board. Raith have a board full of local guys, coupled up with football business type guys like Barrowman/McKenzie. John Potter in the Sporting Director type role is pivotal to a lot of their signings and being able to sway guys to come to them. They all mention "Pottsy being on the phone, making me feel wanted". I'd bet my bottom dollar Tam Meggle isn't doing this for a number of reasons. And then when it does get to boardroom level, Barrowman is another football man, recognisable who gets it. Cook has a great CV but footballers don't know him, he's more of a business man and I'm sure he's great at it, but Raith certainly have the upper hand with this and being able to attract players.

3 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It just comes across as you trying really hard to find something to be annoyed about. Something which can't be proved or disprove

You did get that my post was a quote response to another post? 

5 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

We're currently second bottom, it's not like we could get any lower. 

It's perfectly reasonable to want us to be financially viable and worry about losses, while also looking at the squad we've assembled and wondering where all the moneys gone. 

We have the second highest tickets sold in the league, we had a club record transfer fee, multiple commercial deals, outwith teams being funded externally it's reasonable to expect us to have the second largest first team budget, now look at our squad, if that's what we've put together and we're still running at a loss it's reasonable to ask what on earth we're doing. 

We either have wild off the pitch costs, or we're really overpaying some of our players. 

talk of stadium maintenance etc is just a nonsense, there's not a club in this league who doesn't pay for that, but outwith Dundee United will there be any club who's had as much money coming in? 

Wouldn’t you say that bottom by many points adrift is much further down than second bottom? 
Every new business is gambling that things will always be rosy and viable, but many stumble and some even fail, it then comes down to the commitment resources and knowledge of the company owner to work within their own targets as to whether it’s a success or not. 
Again, we all see the issues we have with the playing staff which is clearly a major setback. You talk about people looking for something to be annoyed about while you are looking to be annoyed about things that can’t be controlled. 
business people speculate to accumulate which can lead to figures not looking good, and sometimes outside influences like injuries fling you a curve ball. 
Unlike some I will always see my cup as half full while others seem hell bent on having their cup half empty 

What happens if (somehow) all the board, including 'The Germans', are emptied and a totally new board is put in place but the team are shit? Do we then replace that board too?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

What happens if (somehow) all the board, including 'The Germans', are emptied and a totally new board is put in place but the team are shit? Do we then replace that board too?

Of course we’ll have to or some on here will end up a dribbling mess. 

28 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

However, there is one comparison I will make between the two clubs at the moment and that is the board. Raith have a board full of local guys, coupled up with football business type guys like Barrowman/McKenzie. John Potter in the Sporting Director type role is pivotal to a lot of their signings and being able to sway guys to come to them. They all mention "Pottsy being on the phone, making me feel wanted". I'd bet my bottom dollar Tam Meggle isn't doing this for a number of reasons. And then when it does get to boardroom level, Barrowman is another football man, recognisable who gets it. Cook has a great CV but footballers don't know him, he's more of a business man and I'm sure he's great at it, but Raith certainly have the upper hand with this and being able to attract players.

This hits the nail on the head for me. 

13 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/scotscore-a-scottish-football-podcast/id1198229321?i=1000646260273

1 hour 45 onwards for his VOE of his time at Dunfermline. Meggle never there, can't talk highly enough of Ross Mccarthur, few other potshots at currently regime.

He also said that some fans told him it's the best football they've ever seen at East End and that if he was there from the start of the season we'd have finished 5th so a MASSIVE pinch of salt required. An absolute slaver of a man.

56 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Cook has a great CV but footballers don't know him, he's more of a business man and I'm sure he's great at it, but Raith certainly have the upper hand with this and being able to attract players.

I must admit I wondered why he ended up at EEP with his CV, but I put it down to supposedly being a Pars fan from Dunfermline, and being close to his hometown (city) fitting his circumstances right now. If he is an issue then hopefully the powers that be will see that and fix it. 

22 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/scotscore-a-scottish-football-podcast/id1198229321?i=1000646260273

1 hour 45 onwards for his VOE of his time at Dunfermline. Meggle never there, can't talk highly enough of Ross Mccarthur, few other potshots at currently regime.

With all due respect to Ross, he maybe wasn’t ruthless enough to be a club chairman. Maybe Yogi seen him as a soft touch which suited him and made him feel much better about his shortcomings? 

11 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

He also said that some fans told him it's the best football they've ever seen at East End and that if he was there from the start of the season we'd have finished 5th so a MASSIVE pinch of salt required. An absolute slaver of a man.

Jesus wept, those fans must have been confusing Pars with the opposition 

44 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just to be clear, I don't think the board needs to be emptied. I genuinely think the majority of issues this year are down to bad luck on the injury front and in an alternate universe, we're sitting comfortably mid-table. But that doesn't mean some self-reflection isn't required. I do think there are signs that we're slow to react or that we're having issues getting players to commit to the club - if I was on the board, I'd want to try and learn from this.

Maybe they are learning from it. I don't know. But this is maybe another issue for the board to reflect on. Perception and leadership matters. It matters to fans and it matters to players. It can really drive momentum (as we see with Raith) and it can help build confidence when morale is low. I'd just like to see more from them.

I'm not reading anything in to the Yogi quotes. He's a dinosaur who earned little credibility as our manager.

2 minutes ago, Well over Par said:

Btw wacky, we have lots of volunteers re stadium maintenance so that keeps costs down. 
mr cook looks after them very well. 🙄

Yeah I know this, I know some folks that go in to clean and paint etc. But surely there’s still work being carried out that requires paying for? 

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I know we shouldn't focus too much on the injuries because some of the performances have been well below par, however without them I think we'd be comfortable mid table, battling for that 4th place. People can doubt that if they want but the truth is we managed the first half of the season with a threadbare team and were still 4th. 

We were, but the last point we were fourth this season we had a really bad points total, us being fourth was quite dependent on other teams being really bad. 

If that had persisted for the rest of the season then great, absolutely would've taken it as a job well done. But for comparison when we drew with Ayr 2-2 and we were fourth we were 5 points off bottom, we're currently 6 points of bottom... In that regard we've stayed consistent, teams around us have picked up. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

You did get that my post was a quote response to another post? 

Wouldn’t you say that bottom by many points adrift is much further down than second bottom? 
Every new business is gambling that things will always be rosy and viable, but many stumble and some even fail, it then comes down to the commitment resources and knowledge of the company owner to work within their own targets as to whether it’s a success or not. 
Again, we all see the issues we have with the playing staff which is clearly a major setback. You talk about people looking for something to be annoyed about while you are looking to be annoyed about things that can’t be controlled. 
business people speculate to accumulate which can lead to figures not looking good, and sometimes outside influences like injuries fling you a curve ball. 
Unlike some I will always see my cup as half full while others seem hell bent on having their cup half empty 

I do, I didn't get that post either. 

I would, I'd also say it'd be wholly unacceptable. 

Just shrugging your shoulders and saying that nothing that has happened to Dunfermline can be controlled is imo, fucking wild. 

Likewise the remark about people being hell bent on having there cup half empty, we've won 3? In the last 15 games, 0 in the last 9, we're second bottom and we've done shite in the cups. From a footballing perspective things are shite, it's not hell bent on finding faults, that's all bad things. 

33 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Aye, much like any story from anyone you'll be reading it from there perspective, he also still fancies himself as a manager to he'll be trying to sell himself. That doesn't mean that everyone he says is an outright lie though. Listening to his bit about Meggle, does anyone find it unbelievable? 

Just now, Wacky said:

Yeah I know this, I know some folks that go in to clean and paint etc. But surely there’s still work being carried out that requires paying for? 

What club in this league doesn't have those costs? 

2 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Just shrugging your shoulders and saying that nothing that has happened to Dunfermline can be controlled is imo, fucking wild

Ok, I think you are deliberately misreading my post to fit your own agenda, or you’re simply way too high in the brow to understand what I’m meaning. I was meaning that our injury crisis is outwith our control, but I think you knew that ya little scamp. 

2 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Ok, I think you are deliberately misreading my post to fit your own agenda, or you’re simply way too high in the brow to understand what I’m meaning. I was meaning that our injury crisis is outwith our control, but I think you knew that ya little scamp. 

I’d say some of our injuries are beyond our control. We have have a number of injuries that have happened in training and it’s not stopping