Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I remember back in the late 80s they had a chance to do a St Johnstone and sell EEP to a supermarket (think it was also Asda before they built their store at Halbeath) and get a 10k seater stadium built down there.

Perhaps in hindsight they should have taken the offer.

Correct. It was at the time that the Pars were riding on the crest of the Leishman wave, with crowds the 5th highest in the country. I'm sure the deal mooted was to sell EEP and build a 20,000 seater at Pitreavie. Yup, a 20,000 seater.

The board I think then sought the thoughts of the fans (what a laughable concept, it'll never catch on) but they didn't want to leave East End.

Correct. It was at the time that the Pars were riding on the crest of the Leishman wave, with crowds the 5th highest in the country. I'm sure the deal mooted was to sell EEP and build a 20,000 seater at Pitreavie. Yup, a 20,000 seater.

The board I think then sought the thoughts of the fans (what a laughable concept, it'll never catch on) but they didn't want to leave East End.

I always thought it was a 10k stadium that they were offered and thats why they turned it down because they thought it would be too small.

You could be right cowdenbeath, the story about the 20k stadium was relayed to me by some of my faither's pals as I wasn't alive long enough to attend any sort of Pars game in the 80s! But, whatever the capacity, it was turned down. The land at EEP would've been, and still is, worth a few bob I'm sure.

You could be right cowdenbeath, the story about the 20k stadium was relayed to me by some of my faither's pals as I wasn't alive long enough to attend any sort of Pars game in the 80s! But, whatever the capacity, it was turned down. The land at EEP would've been, and still is, worth a few bob I'm sure.

I can remember it being in the Dunfermline Press at the time and 10k sticks in my head, if I ever have the time i'll nip into the library and have a look at the old papers to find out :lol: In a way I can see where they were coming from re the size of the ground as they still got 5 figure crowds against the Old Firm and the Edinburgh clubs during this time.

The proposed site is where the Pars train these days, which is a couple of miles from the town centre heading towards Rosyth.

On one hand you might be thinking 'why didn't we jump at it' on the other hand you may have been another Airdrie, just several years before them.

Aye. From what I was told about it, the fans were adamant that the club shouldn't leave East End. Though cowdenbeath's summation could also be true - I was only about 1 at the time! Whether it would've been good or bad for the club in the long-run is something we'll never know.

Yeah I don't think it would have worked tbh but I'm pretty sure it was ASDA who pulled out choosing to build the superstore at Halbeath instead although my memory is pretty sketchy considering I was a young kid at the time.

Having the Pars play at Pitreavie would be dreadful in terms of the crowd I think. Plus the nearest pub would be the King Malcolm or the golf course, or possibly whatever used to Cleos in Rosyth is now.

Not much different from now to be fair.

Some posters on dafc.net hinting at the club being due £500K to the taxman.

I'm not sure I can believe that as it was worded like 'the HMRC is due the taxman £500K'.

:huh:

I don't think the figure is quite as high as that tbh.

That said, the half a million figure is scarily close to the sum that's been banded about in regards to certain Mr Souter.