Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I think someone else said something similar recently, but I've been brave enough to venture into .nut alot recently hoping for some transfer gossip etc. Absolutely wild in there. Every thread it just takes about 3-4 posts until it's a full on slagging match. Even the one today on O'Halloran signing has descended into accusations of bullying within a few posts.

People researching toxic online behaviour should be taking a look at it if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Hope you get more out of him than we did. 10 games, 0 goals and assists.

Completely flattered to deceive but granted was playing in a woeful, low confidence Hartley side. 

Has pace but didn't show much creativity. Clearly got a legacy of playing higher up. Rekindle his form when at St Johnstone in the double winning year and he'll be an asset.

You’ll need to go further back than when we won the couple double to find a time thar O’Halloran played well. He’s not been effective for a good 3/4 seasons now and I suspect thats because he lost interest. Clearly still quick, but hasn’t once improved the tactical side of his game in the 10 years he’s been in Scotland. Which makes him pretty one dimensional to defend against and if he doesn’t have 50 yards of space to run into then he’s not technically good enough to contribute. 

If and it’s a big if, McPake can rekindle his love of the game and spark interest again, then he can be a weapon. His pace alone makes managers and players overthink, but I’m not sure he’ll ever get back there. Dave Mackay was the right back behind him when he was at his most deadly, so maybe he holds the key. 

Issue with O'Halloran was he was never particularly consistent, aside from a couple of spells.

The Rangers move was a dreadful decision, then he wasted a year in Australia too with an injury. 

Came back to us without any fitness and having barely played for over a year. Started 19/20 well individually but the team struggled and he was replaced by a more defensive winger, and then we moved to a shape without wingers.

Then youre into the Callum Davidson era where over the 3 years O'Halloran was dunted about from a right winger in a 3-4-3 tasked with covering half the pitch defensively, a right wing back with zero support, and a lone striker against the OF where he just had to chase pointless punts for 90 minutes.

He just doesnt fit anywhere apart from out wide with a full back supporting him, but for the past 3/4 years we've not played that way regularly. I think he just started dreading football as he knew he would be playing a way he hates and his confidence just eroded.

Get him on a flank with full backs supporting, get him enjoying himself and confident, and youll have a real weapon on your hands. If his head is now just done with football completely, then youll likely not get much out him aside from frustration. 

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

I think someone else said something similar recently, but I've been brave enough to venture into .nut alot recently hoping for some transfer gossip etc. Absolutely wild in there. Every thread it just takes about 3-4 posts until it's a full on slagging match. Even the one today on O'Halloran signing has descended into accusations of bullying within a few posts.

People researching toxic online behaviour should be taking a look at it if you ask me. 

Aye it’s horrendous.  There are a couple of the posters there that post elsewhere, but are nothing like the way they are there.  Probably because they wouldn’t get away with that pish elsewhere.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

He just doesnt fit anywhere apart from out wide with a full back supporting him,.

Get him on a flank with full backs supporting, get him enjoying himself and confident, and youll have a real weapon on your hands. If his head is now just done with football completely, then youll likely not get much out him aside from frustration. 

When you played a back 3 did he ever play as AM?  We have played the majority of games under mcpake with a back 3, we have had different variants of how the attack and midfield play from that but 3-4-2-1 tended to get the best out of us, opposition depending and it’s what we played today with o’halloran one of the 2, i think he did fine there and he’d get plenty of support from the wingback.

And if it did become a flatter 3-4-3 it wouldn’t be the wide players in the 3 tasked with doing the defending, I know you have issues with how Davidson set you up but surely he wasn’t asking them to do huge amount of defending from there?

9 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

So there’s the Wotherspoon rumour. Also heard yesterday Oli Shaw is signing. I’ve now seen someone on the Pars Community page say about him as well so could well be some truth behind that. Would be happy with that I think.

Think the Shaw one was a guy with a record of making shit up; one guy mentioned it and then someone else repeated it and so it has become a rumour. Don't see it myself. 

8 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

When you played a back 3 did he ever play as AM?  We have played the majority of games under mcpake with a back 3, we have had different variants of how the attack and midfield play from that but 3-4-2-1 tended to get the best out of us, opposition depending and it’s what we played today with o’halloran one of the 2, i think he did fine there and he’d get plenty of support from the wingback.

And if it did become a flatter 3-4-3 it wouldn’t be the wide players in the 3 tasked with doing the defending, I know you have issues with how Davidson set you up but surely he wasn’t asking them to do huge amount of defending from there?

He never played centrally for us behind a striker, aside from i think one game away to Hamilton about 8 years ago when, tbf, he ran riot. Every time he was fairly central he was the most advanced striker. We tried to "overload" flanks a lot in the 3-4-3, so the wingers and wing backs were in the same space a lot.

In our 3-4-3 the central striker dropped deep onto the opposing DM. The players on the wings were tasked with covering the CB in possession, and the FB on their side. So youd have him pressing an opposing LCB then have to chase down the LB. Our wing backs were always relatively deep out of possession and it didnt take teams long to figure out how to force them back, as the manager would only ever respond to things like that by getting more defensive.

O'Halloran just wasnt that type. He will work hard defensively but he wont do it for 90 minutes while barely seeing the ball, or at least he wouldn't with us. Hes an attacking player who wants to run with the ball, not waste his energy chasing folk.

Edited by RandomGuy.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In our 3-4-3 the central striker dropped deep onto the opposing DM. The players on the wings were tasked with covering the CB in possession, and the FB on their side. So youd have him pressing an opposing LCB then have to chase down the LB. Our wing backs were always relatively deep out of possession and it didnt take teams long to figure out how to force them back, as the manager would only ever respond to things like that by getting more defensive.

O'Halloran just wasnt that type. He will work hard defensively but he wont do it for 90 minutes while barely seeing the ball, or at least he wouldn't with us. Hes an attacking player who wants to run with the ball, not waste his energy chasing folk.

He’ll definitely be asked to press out of possession, I doubt there can be many teams that won’t ask that from forward players.

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

He’ll definitely be asked to press out of possession, I doubt there can be many teams that won’t ask that from forward players.

He will do it, as he done it under Davidson and Tommy Wright, its just under Davidson in our 3-4-3 he was pretty much doing it all game while also being given little of the ball and no opportunity to run at folk.

We'd overload the right flank with a wing back and CM and work the ball up fairly slowly, so he was suffocated.

It was likely he would get scunnered and lose concentration by the end of games.

Edited by RandomGuy.