Walking Down The Halbeath Road

22 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Bidding war, boy is worth millions. 

Where is your ambition?

Edwards has all the qualities of footballs first Billion pound player.

I also agree with everyone else you don't want County in the league because the cheque book will be out.

I hope they're in our league next year so we can pump them every game. They've had their Arbroath-esque season in the Championship. Next year, back to normal for that lot.

Yeah, I think there are several good reasons why I'd rather Ross County stayed up...

1. Ross County have a history of spending big money to go back up, and look like under Cowie they already have a core of players to build on (I appreciate Dhanda is away to Hearts but still)

2. Ross County, while being a decent away day, is still a pain to get to, and I'd imagine one game up there would be Friday night.

3. Raith will bring many more supporters to KDM Group East End Park next season.

4. I think Raith really overperformed their underlying numbers last season (I don't think they were miles ahead of anyone else in the division yet were by far the closest to Dundee Utd and won many more games than they probably "deserved" to based on the data) and I can see them reverting to the mean a bit next season. 

5. It's the Rovers, f**k them.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Yeah, I think there are several good reasons why I'd rather Ross County stayed up...

1. Ross County have a history of spending big money to go back up, and look like under Cowie they already have a core of players to build on (I appreciate Dhanda is away to Hearts but still)

2. Ross County, while being a decent away day, is still a pain to get to, and I'd imagine one game up there would be Friday night.

3. Raith will bring many more supporters to KDM Group East End Park next season.

4. I think Raith really overperformed their underlying numbers last season (I don't think they were miles ahead of anyone else in the division yet were by far the closest to Dundee Utd and won many more games than they probably "deserved" to based on the data) and I can see them reverting to the mean a bit next season. 

5. It's the Rovers, f**k them.

No:5, that's just it.

I think we should all just relax, judging by what I seen last night, RC are a far superior team than the wee team, I’ll be stunned if they turn it around in Dingwall 

59 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I think we should all just relax, judging by what I seen last night, RC are a far superior team than the wee team, I’ll be stunned if they turn it around in Dingwall 

I'd say Ross County are a far superior team to all of the sides in this league. Quicker, more mobile and better on the ball. There is a definite gulf between the divisions. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AuldReekie said:

Undecided about Rovers. Despite being derby rivals, happy to see Fife teams succeed and if County were relegated, could see them being really weak next season (weaker than Rovers).

I only want to see a Fife team succeed if it's coming up against Falkirk. If we were in the Premiership I may well want Raith to win on Sunday and gain promotion but we're not, so therefore they need to lose on Sunday.

Ross County have a chairman who is loaded and would absolutely chuck the kitchen sink at getting back up. The last thing we want is Ross County being in the league next season. St.J talk about finances being poor, I could have taken that but Ross County, despite being a small club have plenty resources to mount a Championship title challenge. Btw if it had of been St.J that came down, with parachute payments I think they'd have challenged if they recruited well, but I feel there's more of a definite that Ross County would do that.

3 hours ago, Wacky said:

My heart would really like to see rovers win this Sunday, but my head says I want them in our league next season for a few reasons. 

Get your heart checked, sounds a bit dodge.

2 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Aye? I'd like to see them get thumped, and all the supporters busses to break down in such a lomanner where everyone has to stand outside, hopefully it's raining. 

County have a very rich owner, if they come down he'll invest more to ensure they go straight back up. 

These.

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Birthday caird pish anybody wanting Rovers to go up.

This.

32 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Anyone else think Partick might be the team to beat next season at the top?

Yeah I think they might be. They look to be keeping the same squad with only a few going, and I'd imagine they'll look to bring in better players.

I think Raith will be pretty deflated if they don't win on Sunday, but I do expect them to clear out some players and bring in quality and to be there or thereabouts, although I do suspect some clubs may come calling for some of their guys like Easton. I wouldn't be shocked of someone made a move for Stanton or Vaughan despite them recently signings new deals .

I think with a good window we could be up there too but my worry is some of our deadwood are still under contract, personal opinion for us is that we do much better than this season gone, but still aren't contesting the title. Next season we would be able to have a fairly major clear out.

IMO I think Airdrie won't be as good next season, I think they've a lot of out of contract guys who may be poached, potentially even the manager.

Livi is interesting because they'd made some signings already and will have parachute payments from the Premiership, so they could have a go, although who's going to sign for Livi in the Championship when you could sign for a Thistle, Raith, Dunfermline, Falkirk who should still have bigger budgets, even QP will have deeper pockets and possibly some others but not 100% about Morton, Accies, Ayr. Martindale said Livi should be okay this season coming for finances, but when parachute payments stop at the end of next season they could be in bother (if they don't get promoted back to the top league).

Edited by The Toun Clock

That's a pretty fair summary, reckon 4 or 5 clubs at least will be in the market for a number of the same players.

Got a feeling Morton will be next year's duds. 

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

who's going to sign for Livi in the Championship when you could sign for a Thistle, Raith, Dunfermline, Falkirk who should still have bigger budgets, even QP will have deeper pockets and possibly some others

If Livingston offer more then that's where players will go.

Posted (edited)

Reading all these posts now has me concerned we'll do well to finish in the playoffs tbh. Livi will have cash to spend as will County or Rovers. Partick will add to what is already there. Then it leaves us and the others trying to bridge the gap and compete.

Edited by Heaton

If Raith stay down, ourselves, Falkirk and Partick will all fancy their chances. Airdrie and Raith have had their once in a generation seasons. Back to normality for them both next season. Livi won't do anything at all, given wee Davie likes to greet about how every team in the country seems to be able to offer more wages than Livi. Morton look like the basement boys so far given their dire finances and their two best players patching them. Ayr and Hamilton will do nothing apart from battle out the play-off spot for relegation. QP a play off contender for sure. But my money would be on us, Falkirk, and Partick all challenging to finish 1st. It's going to be an exciting league. 

Ross County coming down would be an absolute disaster for any of the bigger clubs in this league. The cheque book will be out, they'll sign players we are in the market for, and they'll bounce straight back without much effort, just like they did the last time. 

Rovers are an insignificant wee club, exemplified by their conduct during their first decent season in god knows how long. Don’t hate them but hope they get dry ridden up in the highlands. Next season normal service resumes and they are getting handed their arse again. Rape apologists. 

5 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Reading all these posts now has me concerned we'll do well to finish in the playoffs tbh. Livi will have cash to spend as will County or Rovers. Partick will add to what is already there. Then it leaves us and the others trying to bridge the gap and compete.

We have the best striker in league so far. Make a few similar signings like that, and I'd be expecting us to challenge for the title. The standard has been set by signing Kane, IMO, and I am confident we'll get those 3 or 4 signings made. 

Some heavy nonsense regarding Raith here. Unpleasant to see some of the arrogance.

If they keep their key players then why can't they have another good season next year?

Obviously I hope we pump them every game and would heartily chuckle if they were rank and fighting relegation, but to think that will happen is, as it stands, probably wishful thinking.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If Livingston offer more then that's where players will go.

Possibly, but I suppose it might come down to clubs, management etc. If it's astronomical amounts of money then possibly but it won't be. Some players might be more attracted to the bigger club, bigger fan base as opposed to more cash if we're talking small amounts.

2 hours ago, Heaton said:

I wouldn't say Livi have cash to spend. They've had a fairly big clear out, there'll be money there for wages but they'll not be splashing the cash. David Martindale didn't stop talking last season about being rookit, they'll be in a worse position now.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

If Raith stay down, ourselves, Falkirk and Partick will all fancy their chances. Airdrie and Raith have had their once in a generation seasons. Back to normality for them both next season.

Airdrie - quite possibly. They're yet to do an end of season update, however I think the majority of there team are out of contract and anytime a job becomes available Rhys McCabe is mentioned. If they lost most of their team, it would be an impact, and if he moves on I could see half there team going elsewhere too which would absolutely mean the go on to have a lesser season. With regards to Raith, if they keep their current crop, get rid of deadwood and add some more quality then I think they'd be well in with a shout of automatic promotion next season, should they fail to win on Sunday. If they lose on Sunday, I think Easton will move on to a bottom end Premiership team and some of their other players may attract interest. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

They've had a fairly big clear out, there'll be money there for wages but they'll not be splashing the cash. David Martindale didn't stop talking last season about being rookit, they'll be in a worse position now

It's all relative though. They were perhaps rookit compared to most of the others in the Prem. However with the parachute leg up payment they get to get back to the Prem when they come down, they'll surely have extra coffers to rebuild, without needing to spend as much on wages etc at this level.

I'm guessing and don't have time to go check what the parachute payment is just now of course and so could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time 😄

Edited by Heaton

29 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

I wouldn't say Livi have cash to spend. They've had a fairly big clear out, there'll be money there for wages but they'll not be splashing the cash. David Martindale didn't stop talking last season about being rookit, they'll be in a worse position now

100% this if they were skint in the top flight the £300k parachute payment won't even touch the sides unless they do something drastic.

30 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Possibly, but I suppose it might come down to clubs, management etc. If it's astronomical amounts of money then possibly but it won't be. Some players might be more attracted to the bigger club, bigger fan base as opposed to more cash if we're talking small amounts

Nah, players at this level don't care about playing in front of a few more fans. They'll absolutely go where they can get the best money.