Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Posted (edited)

Club would rather spend the budget improving the team, than paying guys not at the standard we need to improve = skint?

Some fans just want an excuse to cry and moan.

Edited by CallumPar

I can't speak for everyone but for me, we should be putting in a title challenge next season, at worst finishing comfortably in a promotion play off spot.

I'll be very disappointed if the board don't share that similar level of ambition considering how open the league will be next season.

Otherwise what's the point in 5000+ fans turning up for a club accepting mediocrity? 

We should be - and probably are behind the scenes.

If Cook or Meggle decided to publicise this, only to see Benedictus, Todd, KRH etc get crocked in pre-season, they would have created a massive rod for their own back.

The other unknown at this precise moment is whether Ross County are playing in the Championship next season. Last time they came down, they found a fair bit if cash to ensure it was a short stay.

It's about strengthening the team, would they have liked to have kept Paul Allan as a midfield option? Think that's obvious at this point but if you ran it back with that midfield there isn't much scope to bring in additions in that area of the park with Otoo, Hamilton and Chalmers all occupying that space currently under contract. It's definitely an area of the park that has to improve. 

In terms of available midfielders, Kerr McInroy is out of contract at Kilmarnock? Think he would be handy in the position that Allan/Chalmers like to occupy 

47 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Club would rather spend the budget improving the team, than paying guys not at the standard we need to improve = skint?

Some fans just want an excuse to cry and moan.

I think what you and other fans who interpret scepticism as an 'excuse to cry and moan' are missing the point (perhaps deliberately).

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

That's a short-term target rather than a clear and coherent strategy.

I agree that we don't know precisely what the target is for the upcoming season. I also know that if I was running the Pars, I wouldn't be proclaiming that anything less than a top 3 finish was a failure for fairly obvious reasons.

Targets, goals, coherent strategy: where's the evidence they exist?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I don't think that Allan quote means we're skint. 

As fans we're presuming that Allan will be on buttons because he's not a starter, is local and has came through the youth system. 

On the other side Allan is 24 years old, if he's asking for a starters wage but we don't see him on that level then it's true enough it's a financial decision but it doesn't necessarily mean we're skint. McPake and Cook were at the meeting a couple of weeks ago saying how there was money to sign players, as well as the player released we had loan players going back. 

Let's not panic yet. 

Give it a few weeks though 😏

Aye I think this too. This whole “were skint” chat isn’t completely accurate. Aye we’ve reported some big losses but so has most other clubs. The players who have gone will absolutely be replaced, however we don’t have the room to take guys with us who haven’t exactly earned their deal. I liked the Jak, his performance against Dundee Utd was excellent but less face it that was one of a handful of times he truly turned it on. The other was a home game against Arbroath where he came off the bench with about 30 to play, tore them a new one, then lastly his goals at Ayr. Paul Allan scored an incredible winner on flag day, but did little else despite playing most games until an assist for Hammy vs Ayr, an assist for Bene against Inverness and a goal at Arbroath. A good player but a player who only made a real input in a handful of games. We have a budget but it doesn’t have room for luxury.

Of course if we had more players at the end of their contract like Chalmers, MOH, Breen, McCann, Mehmet then they’d be going and possibly a Paul Allan might get to stay in place of one of them. It’s just unfortunate that these guys were offered new deals. McPake and McKay can moan about that all they want but they would have been part of the discussions for offering a new deal.

Edited by The Toun Clock

In other news, this was 20 years ago today.

CFnNZQXWYAAhe_w.jpg.5e569df52a67efe9168710c326122426.jpg

20 years man! Absolute madness! At that time it had been 36 years since our last final. Currently it's been 17 since our last one. Will we see another one? 

Some day, despite the result. Pish strip mind!

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

20 years man! Absolute madness! At that time it had been 36 years since our last final. Currently it's been 17 since our last one. Will we see another one? 

Half time was absolutely brilliant, just a sea of black and white.

It could have ended so much differently had the ref not missed the blatant handball by Balde...

42 minutes ago, North West said:

I think what you and other fans who interpret scepticism as an 'excuse to cry and moan' are missing the point (perhaps deliberately).

Genuinely, what is this point I’m missing? There’s absolutely nothing to suggest we’re ‘skint’ it just seems to be people panicking over nothing, from what I can see. I’ve still not seen anyone putting forward a reasonable point to backup this narrative.

I’d be much more concerned if we were renewing contracts for bench warmers and not trying to spend the money on guys like Kane and MFW, who improve the starting 11.

I genuinely wish those leaving all the best, but we finished the season with a squad of about 24/25 players and I don’t think our first choice starting 11 is good enough to be challenging for promotion. Based on that, I want us to be offloading as much of our fringe/reserve players as possible and spending the budget more wisely.

I don’t understand the panic about Paul Allan leaving, he’s older than our 3 best midfielders and isn’t as good as they are. I’d much rather the available budget was spent on improving the team, than paying a 24 year old benchwarmer. He’s older than Josh Edwards, he’s not a young kid anymore. We can only have about 3 outfielders older than Allan at the club (Benedictus, Chalmers and O’Halloran).

What a day, what could have been.

Anyone know what formation we played that day? Just spied that photo on the official site, I count one GK, three defenders, five midfielders and two strikers. Did we go for the bold 3-5-2 for a Cup Final in 2004, Jimmy C the trend setter? To be fair we might have played a more five at the back formation against the Old Firm then anyway.

IMG_0922.jpeg

What an absolute fucking giant Brew was. 

I know it was all on the never never & nearly killed the club but that the semi at Pittodrie, cup-final day & just being a Pars fan around that time was absolutely tremendous.

20 years though........FFS.

14 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Aye I think this too. This whole “were skint” chat isn’t completely accurate. Aye we’ve reported some big losses but so has most other clubs. The players who have gone will absolutely be replaced, however we don’t have the room to take guys with us who haven’t exactly earned their deal. I liked the Jak, his performance against Dundee Utd was excellent but less face it that was one of a handful of times he truly turned it on. The other was a home game against Arbroath where he came off the bench with about 30 to play, tore them a new one, then lastly his goals at Ayr. Paul Allan scored an incredible winner on flag day, but did little else despite playing most games until an assist for Hammy vs Ayr, an assist for Bene against Inverness and a goal at Arbroath. A good player but a player who only made a real input in a handful of games. We have a budget but it doesn’t have room for luxury.

Of course if we had more players at the end of their contract like Chalmers, MOH, Breen, McCann, Mehmet then they’d be going and possibly a Paul Allan might get to stay in place of one of them. It’s just unfortunate that these guys were offered new deals. McPake and McKay can moan about that all they want but they offered the terms.

I hope some of those contracted players are told to find another club if possible, as I feel our squad needs freshened.  

It's almost like we planned it...

East End Tales Episode 17 w/ ANDRIUS SKERLA is out now. 

>>>https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607 <<<click here or listen on any podcasting platform.

Really hope we've done Andrius and this occasion justice here, it's one of the most iconic days as a Pars fan in the modern era. We've got all the usual nonsense too, birthdays for May, the Andy Wilson memorial quiz etc but it's just pure nostalgia looking back 20 years today at this. 

@The Toun ClockI think we mention the formation during recording, pretty sure it was a 442 that day with Nicholson at right back, Derek Young in front with Byrne and Dempsey on the other side. 

Anyone else go mental at Dempsey's early free kick thinking we had scored???

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

In Rosyth, for starters...

Yeah it's good Rosyths got started.

It's been approximately £900k to get a pitch down, two thirds of which were Grants and as we had no cash reserves to make up the remainder of the total money required we went back to Fussball Gmbh for the other £300k.

It'd be good to see what the next stage of the plan is for the academy/training facility and the associated projected costs.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Huge amount of good memories from that day.

1 hour ago, North West said:

Yeah it's good Rosyths got started.

It's been approximately £900k to get a pitch down, two thirds of which were Grants and as we had no cash reserves to make up the remainder of the total money required we went back to Fussball Gmbh for the other £300k.

It'd be good to see what the next stage of the plan is for the academy/training facility and the associated projected costs.

I'd take it as a positive that they managed to get a grant for some of the money.  If it is available for this sort of thing, it is good that someone at the club had the good sense to realise this and apply for it. 

I don't really get the point about Fussball Gmbh.  They, in all reality, own the club.  It's their plan to build the training ground and they have funded it.  

19 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

I'd take it as a positive that they managed to get a grant for some of the money.  If it is available for this sort of thing, it is good that someone at the club had the good sense to realise this and apply for it. 

I don't really get the point about Fussball Gmbh.  They, in all reality, own the club.  It's their plan to build the training ground and they have funded it.  

Some folk are still having difficulty with it not being people they’ve known for years being in charge (and sometimes it was their pals) and it now being a bunch of guys who they don’t know.  That probably explains a lot of the skepticism.