Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Significant downgrade on Josh Edwards, but I suppose that's to be expected. He's been at Championship level for the last couple of seasons, but hasn't been able to claim a starting spot, even in a poor-to-average Rovers side. He'll have developed a bit since then, but I don't know how much good a year on the bench at Firhill will have done him. 

That Thistle wanted him to return exclusively to be backup to Harry Milne and the Pars have got him (presumably) with the intention of starting him every week quite neatly summarising the gaps in the level of squad building between sides in the division this summer. 

It was inevitable that any player coming in was going to be a downgrade compared to Edwards. But I can't help but feel he's the 3rd choice, McPake can't play the same system which puts so much emphasis on the wing backs if Ngwenya is going to be the option on the left. 

A damming indictment on where we are with regards to signings.

I’ll wait until I’ve seen him play at least a few games to judge whether it’s a good signing or not. Even if he hasn’t been great at other teams, it doesn’t mean he’s a poor signing/wont work for us. We’ve all seen so many players look good at some clubs and terrible at others. Sometimes clubs just are/aren’t a good fit for players.

McPake will know how he wants us to play and is targeting players to suit that style. Ngwenya is also only 21, so he has a fair bit of development still to come. Hopefully with the right coaching and a system designed to get the best out of him, he can prove to be a good signing.

The amount of players who have looked utter shite in a dunfermline top to then go and make a decent fist of it at other championship teams means the reviews don't concern me at the minute. Loans are completely different to permanent signings for both player and club as well.