Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 hours ago, par-adise said:

"Stunned" by us signing a player we have tried to sign previously and is currently training with us? 

5 hours ago, parsboi said:

Why stunned?  He played at this level last year, very nearly signed then.  Training with us now.  Seems the most logical conclusion no?

Yes “stunned” . And won’t expect anything less than him moving to one of our competitors. 
I hope I end up stunned , but doubt it. 

55 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Airdrie fan saying they are signing Mochrie. Talented boy but personally thought he didn't offer much unless the ball was laid at his feet. I'm happy enough to miss out on that one.

Yeah, genuinely not sour grapes as would have been fine with us signing him but not fussed in the slightest to "lose out"

11 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Airdrie fan saying they are signing Mochrie. Talented boy but personally thought he didn't offer much unless the ball was laid at his feet. I'm happy enough to miss out on that one.

Agreed, his off the ball intelligence and know how was pretty much non existent, he'd dropped out the team by the end of our title winning season, he's barely started for United last season. I don't see him as a player who improves us tbh. 

10 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Yeah, genuinely not sour grapes as would have been fine with us signing him but not fussed in the slightest to "lose out"

Aye I'm in the same boat as you Rab. If we signed him, I'd be happy with it, I think we know he can play well. He's had a full season away from us playing for the league winners, popping up with some important goals and collecting a league winners medal. That being said, if he pops up elsewhere in the league I wouldn't go into a game prior to playing them thinking "oh no, what are we going to do about Chris Mochrie".

I'd rather have mochrie than have no-one, there would be times in the season chasing a goal when bringing him on would help.

Would I have him ahead of Moffat/summers/mahon or whatever the next group of loanees have to offer, not so sure and I certainly wouldn't want him ahead of someone who can come in and at least be a potential starter most weeks

I'd imagine the negotiations come down to whether he's going to be a starter at respective teams. If we can get Wotherspoon in, I'm not convinced he's a starter every week until injuries kick in (and they have already started). But he's a definite upgrade on McCann and MOH, and Summers and Moffat from last season (although probably being slightly harsh on Moffat there). Ideally we'd bring in stronger but in terms of year on year improvement in squad, I'd see Mochrie as progress in the right direction. 

Edited by AuldReekie

16 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

I'd imagine the negotiations come down to whether he's going to be a starter at respective teams. If we can get Wotherspoon in, I'm not convinced he's a starter every week until injuries kick in (and they have already started). But he's a definite upgrade on McCann and MOH, and Summers and Moffat from last season (although probably being slightly harsh on Moffat there). Ideally we'd bring in stronger but in terms of year on year improvement in squad, I'd see Mochrie as progress in the right direction. 

From what I hear You are going to push the boat out for Wotherspoon making him by far the highest earner at the club.

Have to say He didnt do much for us last season, no goals or assist and was injured most of the time.

Good layer back in the day thou

Class player in his day 

22 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

From what I hear You are going to push the boat out for Wotherspoon making him by far the highest earner at the club.

Have to say He didnt do much for us last season, no goals or assist and was injured most of the time.

Good layer back in the day thou

Class player in his day 

I had heard he'd be one of the highest earners. 

I admittedly didn't watch much of him for Dundee United, but he did play a v good cross for the winner against Ayr. 

42 minutes ago, AuldReekie said:

Would he be a definite upgrade on McCann and MoH? He didn't look any better than McCann at league 1 level, what makes him definitely a better player now? Likewise Sommers and Moffat, if we'd had them when we were in League 1 and winning allot more games would they not look allot better? 

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

Agree with most of the above on Mochrie. Technically very good and definitely has potential so would be a decent signing, but doesn't do enough off the ball for me and so won't lose any sleep if he goes to Airdrie. Actually think that could be a good fit for him. 

All that being said I'd agree with this, my criticism of Mochrie is primarily of him playing in our system which I don't beleive for a second was the best fit for him. For his own career I think he'd be far better going to Airdrie. 

We will certainly not be pushing the boat out for anyone. owners have made that perfectly clear

I don't expect many more in other than cover at left back and goalie and they will be young lads on buttons

might get one or two loans in at the end of August

that's our lot

on the subject of mochrie - yes i'd have him - he can glide past folk like nobody else in our team and I don't care that he cant defend - not his job

Edited by Well over Par