Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Craig Barr, Craig Reid, Kevin McCann - all experienced but a decent age: all defenders, which is what we need the most. Reid and McCann are both versatile too so can cover all positions across the back line. I'm not sure if we'd be able to afford them, though. Reid is currently at Morton and McCann at Raith with their contracts up this month and no sign of either being kept on currently.

dafcburty, on Today, 21:06, said:

The signing was Jamie Wilson, a 17 year old goalkeeper formerly of Rangers. Welcome to the Pars, Jamie! :)

Think that was reported on .net ages back, did suspect with the way the announcement was done it wouldn't be first team player.

EDIT: seeing his picture I'm certain he was was part of the warm up with goodfellow and Scully at stenny.

Edited by parsforlife

Didn't want to post this on dafc.net but I feel that we seem to just be signing the lads who aren't quite good enough for the top SPL clubs.

We get funding for bringing through local lads from local teams and from speaking to a coach who had a run in with Stephen Wright for wrecking his team this seems like exploiting the system a wee bit.

It would be interesting to see ifDundee United, Accies and Falkirk do the same?

It's good that we're giving the lads a second chance but it's actually wrecking the local talent and leagues and destroying boys confidence.

If you don't believe me look at the profile for the cup final team, only one local lad.

From what I've heard we take young players - like 12-14 and we need to get so many from local teams to get the funding.We seem to have no intention of playing them or developing them as we then just go and sign players from superior well established youth setups at 16-18 years old once they've been developed.

Apparently Leishman questioned this policy at a meeting arranged by local pissed off youth coaches.

But hey who cares, we win both ways.

Edited by DAFC

I don't think four keepers is excessive. Scully is the number one with Goodfellow as back up - had we not signed Wilson, 15-year-old Cammy Gill was the only choice if either Goodfellow / Scully got injured as a backup. Wilson will play for the 20s mostly I'm sure and it leaves suitable back up for the first team.

Seems fine to me tbh.

Seems reasonable to bring in another 'keeper for the under 20s. Also, on the basis of what I've heard about Lawrence Shankland (what a fucking name btw) I'm pleased with that loan signing.

Didn't want to post this on dafc.net but I feel that we seem to just be signing the lads who aren't quite good enough for the top SPL clubs.

We get funding for bringing through local lads from local teams and from speaking to a coach who had a run in with Stephen Wright for wrecking his team this seems like exploiting the system a wee bit.

It would be interesting to see ifDundee United, Accies and Falkirk do the same?

It's good that we're giving the lads a second chance but it's actually wrecking the local talent and leagues and destroying boys confidence.

If you don't believe me look at the profile for the cup final team, only one local lad.

Frankly I don't particularly care much if they are local , if they aren't as good as players from further away tough luck.

Sounds like your talking to a bitter boys team coach. I wouldn't listen to someone who is angry that some of his players have been picked up and given a chance, he's probably just annoyed that his side are now no longer any good and he can't give himself an ego boost because of that.

We've went with 1 or 2 keepers in the top league.

Goodfellow only 19 ? I thought he was older tbh.

What are you on about Gordie? We were short of keepers forcing everyone up a level.

We had a gap, I'd expect normally to have

First choice

Back up

U20

U17

Etc

Cammy should be playing u17 really and is ineligible for first team meaning if he Scully or goodfellow got injured we wouldn't have had a third choice.

I honestly don't remember a time when we have had only two over 16 keepers at the club apart from the past 6 months, i expect that is rare for any side that runs youth teams.

The signing of shankland seems a good one, you would have thought we might have looked for more experience but that's less important upfront than at the back. An experienced Center back would keep me happy would would preferably cover left back but Drummond can probably do a job there if its only for a few games, apparently Millen is ok at left back as well so I wouldn't be overly worried about that.

I think Bert Paton left some coaching manual holy grail in his desk drawer when he quit his post. The mantra seems to be that signing more strikers will solve all problems. Calderwood followed it, McIntyre bought into it at times and seems and now JJ has seen the light.

An experienced defender is the obvious addition but available strikers seem to have some sort of catnip effect on Pars managers.

As Bert would say, defenders are mostly pish footballers - best to just sign attackers. They can, if necessary, be converted into defenders - eg Tod, Ivo. Just look at our full backs. I couldn't tell you if Williamson could tackle a fish supper but he can skin defenders and set up goals. Whittle scores screamers and beats other fullbacks for fun.

If it does go through, the loan signing from Aberdeen seems a really positive statement of intent from JJ that if a young player wants to make a name for himself then East End Park is one of the best places to be.