Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Kenneth would be an ideal signing but doubt very much it would happen

Wow, I've no idea why but I thought he was like early 30's. Only 26, he used to be not too bad, can't say I've seen him play in a while though. Definitely would prefer him to this Smith player though. Need a defender.

Folk were saying Scully was shit before he joined us and he's been our best keeper in years, so I'd be willing to give this Smith lad a chance should he sign for us (although I'm sure most others would as well).

f**k Gary Kenneth mind. He's brutal (I've seen him play but haven't seen this Smith guy play before anyone points out the apparent contradiction).

http://http://www.dafc.co.uk/articles/20140111/hubble-to-trouble-the-stranraer-bubble_2207955_3615299

You get the impression from that article that husband wants a contract extension put in front of him. Something I'd be happy to give him. Have the feeling once a couple of extensions are (hopefully) signed the rest will follow soon after.

According to the Dunfermlone Press we have Ross Smith training with us. He's a young CB who is currently with Dundee United and was on loan to Stenny at beginning of this season. As far as I'm aware, we've used up our quota of loan signings so he can't be brought in through that route so maybe DU are willing to release him for nothing if we want him...? Also, we apparently have a few other trialists with us and they, plus Smith, will be assessed in a closed doors friendly next week.

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but Ross Smith is an appalling player. I don't really like to slate players - he's a young guy and will probably improve in time - but he's probably the worst centre-back I've seen in my ten years watching Stenhousemuir.

Smith had been on loan at Peterhead last season and, by all accounts, had done very well and formed part of the defence that conceded just three goals in 12 games at the end of the campaign. He looked reasonable in his first two matches at Stenny as the team kept consecutive clean sheets, but since then - the infamous 5-4 game at Ochilview, he was rotten. Not strong enough. Barged off the ball by guys like Dale Hilson. No positional sense. Would come charging out and leave big gaps in the defence. Too timid. Didn't want to get involved with the rough and tumble. Couldn't pass the ball ten yards. Could only kick the ball in the direction he was facing. No awareness or intelligence.

After the 1-1 draw at home to Forfar Athletic he was dropped, with Martyn Corrigan preferring to use Eddie Malone (a 5' 9" left full-back) alongside Ross McMillan in central defence. Curiously, during our Scottish Cup second round replay with Annan Athletic, Smith came off the bench and played as an auxiliary striker and played a big part in the win. He was then tried out at right-back for a couple of games but in the 3-2 win over Arbroath - and in front of Jackie McNamara and Simon Donnelly - he had a poor game and was culpable for the Lichties second goal, misjudging a header and taking himself and McMillan (who had shouted for the ball!) out of the game. He played at centre-back again for the Scottish Cup third round tie against Fraserburgh and was almost embarrassed by their tubby front two and then again the following week in a defeat to East Fife.

The loss at Bayview was his last match. Corrigan had the option to keep him on for the whole season but declined, sending him packing. Dunfermline's problems at defending are pretty well known and Ross Smith is certainly not the answer to their problems. No doubt he'll sign up, become an integral part in central defence alongside Callum Morris, and score a last minute winner in a 6-5 match against Stenhousemuir, running past the Warriors support with a finger pressed against his lips.

Avoid at all costs. At the very best, he's a League 2 defender. The Dundee United youth academy is producing some of the most exalted talent in the country just now but remember - for every Ryan Gauld, there's a thousand Ross Smiths.

EDITED TO ADD - Lawrence Shankland's got it. Saw him about five or six times at Queen's Park last season. Not fast or particularly technical but his movement in the area is deadly. He's a superb finisher too. He was badly let down by his manager, with Gardner Speirs preferring to play him on the wing. A superb signing for Dunfermline.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Yeah, I knew the Stenny fans didn't particularly rate Smith FF. If anything is to be done there it'd have to be a permanent deal as we've already got Jordan Moore on loan from United, which in turn would mean United would have to release him. Will be interesting to know he got on in training this week, but Jefferies will be looking at at least another couple of players in a bounce match next week.

All reports on Shankland however have been excellent and I must say I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

Any queries just ask as I will be part of the "base team" tracking movement of the teams. Hopefully get a decent response, anyone else (i.e non Pars fans) who is up for it can participate also.

Edited by GordieBoy80

Any queries just ask as I will be part of the "base team" tracking movement of the teams. Hopefully get a decent response, anyone else who is up for it can participate also.

How are you going to work out when to do it? Can't imagine clubs would be particularly pleased if fans are encouraged to take part in this rather than go to our game, nor would they be that delighted if they had to deal with a decent amount of people trying to blag their way into the one ground.(presuming you plan it for when we are playing away)

How are you going to work out when to do it? Can't imagine clubs would be particularly pleased if fans are encouraged to take part in this rather than go to our game, nor would they be that delighted if they had to deal with a decent amount of people trying to blag their way into the one ground.(presuming you plan it for when we are playing away)

It's planned for the weekend that we are away to Rangers in the league.

The main part of the event is people trying to beg, steal or borrow methods of getting as far away from East End Park as they possibly can, and then try to blag themselves into a game at whatever point of the country/world that they manage to get to. It is anticipated that people will go to various grounds and the likelihood of a lot of people trying to get into the same ground is pretty low.

The main organiser of the event came up with the idea of tying in with charities so there is the possibility of a team going to a ground and maybe giving the line "We've came from Dunfermline and are raising money for [insert charity here] in the hope they may score free tickets" or whatever creative means are available to said teams.

It's all about the innovation and ingenuity of the people participating.

It's planned for the weekend that we are away to Rangers in the league.

The main part of the event is people trying to beg, steal or borrow methods of getting as far away from East End Park as they possibly can, and then try to blag themselves into a game at whatever point of the country/world that they manage to get to. It is anticipated that people will go to various grounds and the likelihood of a lot of people trying to get into the same ground is pretty low.

The main organiser of the event came up with the idea of tying in with charities so there is the possibility of a team going to a ground and maybe giving the line "We've came from Dunfermline and are raising money for [insert charity here] in the hope they may score free tickets" or whatever creative means are available to said teams.

It's all about the innovation and ingenuity of the people participating.

Oh yea I get the concept and how it tests the skills of the participants I just was wondering when you were planning it, as it would be near impossible for you schedule it when we wearn't playing but there was enough football on for people to reasonably take in a game.

The people turning up at the same ground was just on the point that it comes to reason that pars fans would try and get to the pars game.

Having it for when we play rangers is probably a good idea in that respect, they are less likey to care if some pars fans don't turn up, and I would think people would be less likely to get into ibrox than they would at a smaller ground, and therefore less likely to try.

Also there is a chance of the game being shifted for tv there by taking away this conflict of interest.

If I had friends I would have been up for this.

Would you be OK with being allocated team-mates if there are people in the same situation ?

Not confirmed that we're doing allocated teams yet but initial discussions seem positive.