Walking Down The Halbeath Road

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The defenders have to adapt to Hutton a bit too. Eg, we know he might parry shots that Murdoch would scoop up so they have to be more aware with second balls. Also, that first goal against ICT.. Big Ben would be able to play a ball like that to Murdoch any time and not think twice about it so they can't put him in that position. 

It's a massive issue when your defenders feel they need to protect the keeper that much, it leads to them being a lot less confident and assured which in turn leads to us conceding stupid, silly goals. Have a reliable, good keeper between the sticks makes a world of difference to the solidity of the defense as a unit.

In regards to the rest of the team, it is always in the back of their minds that no matter how well they do, even if they go 1/2 goals up, there is every possibility that the keeper will chuck one in at any moment.

It's why almost every top side/side that has a great season has an excellent keeper, McGurn at Raith during our title-winning season would be the first example that springs to mind.

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, and we won promotion with Chris Smith that year, conceding less goals than Raith.

Just to clarify, Chris Smith is fucking dreadful.

He was actually alright that season, most likely because we were dominating games and had a very solid defense.

9 hours ago, Barn said:

and Alex Keddie.

He was good that season tbf.

Admittedly both players turned into hapless fuds as soon the the Prem season kicked-off, but had no problem with either until that season.

Is he young enough for the u20s? He's pictured with Potter and AJ so would guess he's for the u20s. 

Maybe Hopkirk can have more of an impact this year? I hadn't realised quite how badly he'd been plagued by injury last season. Not sure he's in the same class as other wide players but a Faiss style switch to out and out striker seems to be what AJ sees for him. Good goal on Saturday - aggressive play and a thundering finish. 

With Potter in the picture you'd assume he's one for the U20s.

I'd still like us to sign a striker that can go and score goals by himself because Moffat certainly isn't going to be doing that week in week out. Michael Higdon would be perfect but that is pure wishful thinking.

15 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

With Potter in the picture you'd assume he's one for the U20s.

I'd still like us to sign a striker that can go and score goals by himself because Moffat certainly isn't going to be doing that week in week out. Michael Higdon would be perfect but that is pure wishful thinking.

I reckon Gav Reilly will smash them in this season, he's on loan from Hearts and we're playing Hibs this weekend so he's almost guaranteed to score and that should settle him.

Agree about Higdon, that would be an absolutely superb signing, with Faiss' wages free now who knows?

If Higdon signs i get the credit for being the first one to suggest him lads. ;)

Edit: In regards to Lafferty, he's got to be for the U20s otherwise that's not a very inspiring signing tbh

Edited by Parscelona

21 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Higdon isn't brilliant, or rather he's capable in flashes, he also has the ability to be utter gash, was maligned a lot with us but he did score the goal that kept us up at ICT, for a big guy he's not very good in the air.

Maybe that's when he played with you? Since then he has been top goalscorer in the SPL, Scottish POTY and scored an impressive amount of goals in the Dutch top flight with NEC Nijmegen. I reckon he'd do just fine in the Scottish Championship. 

On 8/9/2016 at 16:16, Grant228 said:

Aye, and we won promotion with Chris Smith that year, conceding less goals than Raith.

Just to clarify, Chris Smith is fucking dreadful.

Bit late to the party but two points: McGurn was far better the season before. He had ridiculous saves in the first league game at  East End and the triple save against Ayr. Also, we evened things out by having Andy McNeil. Not that it's any excuse, considering the Pars form after signing Hardie and Rutkiewicz was the reason they won the league. 

3 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Higdon isn't brilliant, or rather he's capable in flashes, he also has the ability to be utter gash, was maligned a lot with us but he did score the goal that kept us up at ICT, for a big guy he's not very good in the air.

DAFC speaking a rare bit of sense below pretty much sums up my exact thoughts. (Although it might be D.A.F.C. that is the rambling fuckwit come to think of it). 

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Maybe that's when he played with you? Since then he has been top goalscorer in the SPL, Scottish POTY and scored an impressive amount of goals in the Dutch top flight with NEC Nijmegen. I reckon he'd do just fine in the Scottish Championship. 

2 hours ago, rw89 said:

Bit late to the party but two points: McGurn was far better the season before. He had ridiculous saves in the first league game at  East End and the triple save against Ayr. Also, we evened things out by having Andy McNeil. Not that it's any excuse, considering the Pars form after signing Hardie and Rutkiewicz was the reason they won the league. 

BMMMH :wub: