Last Book You Read....

H_B

The White Bird Passes - Jessie Kesson

Semi autobiographical book about a young lass growing up with her prozzie mum in a deprived close (in “Elgin”) and getting put into care. Always thought it was a “wifies” book but it’s a stunning bit of Scottish prose.  Very short but excellent imo.

Just finished 'Rogues'by Patrick Radden Keefe. Actually took me a wee while to get through it as it's a series of articles he's written over the years, so I tended to put it down for a while after each one.

It's a good read though, he's a brilliant writer, and there's some really fascinating pieces about a variety of different criminals - and one about Anthony Bourdain.

I'd definitely recommend Say Nothing, his book on the troubles/IRA that surrounded Jean McConville's murder. I couldn't put it down. Empire of Pain about the Sacklers was really good too.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Just finished 'Rogues'by Patrick Radden Keefe. Actually took me a wee while to get through it as it's a series of articles he's written over the years, so I tended to put it down for a while after each one.

It's a good read though, he's a brilliant writer, and there's some really fascinating pieces about a variety of different criminals - and one about Anthony Bourdain.

I'd definitely recommend Say Nothing, his book on the troubles/IRA that surrounded Jean McConville's murder. I couldn't put it down. Empire of Pain about the Sacklers was really good too.

Say Nothing and Empire of Pain are two of the best non-fiction books I've read in the past few years.

4 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Say Nothing and Empire of Pain are two of the best non-fiction books I've read in the past few years.

Did you ever listen to his podcast series, 'Wind of Change'? It was terrific.

I recently finished Timmy Mallett's autobiography, Utterly Brilliant which, to my surprise, was indeed utterly brilliant. Inspired by the life of his recently deceased Syndrome brother, cycles from his home near London on a pilgrimage to Compostela de Santiago. Despite this, he doesn't concentrate on the cycling or religious aspects but more the people he meets interspersed with the stories of his life. He comes across as just an incredibly nice person who I have to admit I found inspiring - we should all be a bit more like Timmy.

We Were Eight Years in Power by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Really didn't enjoy this. Felt the author was self important and managed to make what should be interesting subjects really boring. I found myself drifting off several times. It's a shame as I was really interested in the content on the surface, the writing just didn't do it for me.

One Thousand Yards by Mark Dawson

John Milton, a state-sponsored assassin arrives in North Korea tasked with investigating the widespread hacking of banks, media, tv etc by the DPRK regime.

Jason Bourne type stuff, fast moving & enjoyable.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Nostalgia, love lost, love gained, shagging and a bit of schizophrenia thrown in. A Japanese classic. Great book. Will read more Murakami.

A Wild Sheep Chase is one of my few occasional re-reads. Fantastic.

Sonic Life by Thurston Moore 

One of the best rock memoirs I've ever read. Fascinating, funny and an essential look at Sonic Youth and everything that went on around them in the 80s and 90s. Planning on reading Kim Gordon's memoir in the not too distant future, will be very interested to see how they compare.

Another Bob Skinner book by Quintin Jardine but I need to take a break from them. 

The idea of a 50-odd year old Chief Constable who solves all the crimes himself, and is always the hardest man in the room (just casually knocking down/staring out ex-SAS soldiers is normal) is getting stale. 

Everyone who works for him loves him and wants to be him. The newspapers love him. He has a big future. 

Very enjoyable books but I need to space them out a bit otherwise they'll start to irritate me.