Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 20/10/2023 at 22:10, Clough85 said:

I’ve recently finished Slow Horses and Dead Lions, books 1 and 2 from the Slough House series by Mick Herron.  Enjoyed both and just started the third one Real Tigers.  

The TV adaption is worth a watch as well.  Worth watching for Gary Oldman alone. 

Ditto. I've been listening to the audiobooks on YT, read by Sean Barrett, who's pretty good and who am I to turn down a freebie ? Just started with Real Tigers and the first two books in the series do a pretty good job of introducing character and backstory.

Mick Herron's writing is starting to grow on me but it's an interesting wee game to listen out for the similarities in plot or cast of character hierarchy between Herron and LeCarre.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished two over the past few days.

The Wake Up Call by Beth O'Leary. Pedestrian and felt a lot longer than it was. Probably a decent story at it's heart, but just didn't work.

All the Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham. Really enjoyable and tense thriller. Genuinely unsettling in places. Well written and well constructed.

I am half way through the last of The Protectorate trilogy by Megan E O Keefe - Sci Fi space nonsense.

A book too far, methinks.

I never liked sci fi when I was younger, but got into The Martian series by Andy Weir a year or so back - they are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Paradise Found: A High School Football Team's Rise From the Ashes by Bill Plaschke

What an inspirational tale. A town that lost everything, but a group of teenagers gave the whole town hope. Brilliantly written by a sports journalist I've been watching for years and who always puts a good point across. Just a great book.

Asked for, and was given, 'Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal ?' by Jeanette Winterson for Christmas.  This is the follow up to 'Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit' and addresses issues which have a personal resonance for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but I may be biased.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Read Matthew Perry's book and Prophet Song by Paul Lynch this week.

I listened to the audiobook of Matthew Perry’s book not long after it was released and thought it was very frank (in a good way) and honest. It was read by him so it made it all the more so. 

On audiobooks, I usually listen to these while driving, and started to make my way through the James Bond series last year. The stories themselves hold up quite well but Bond (Fleming?) comes across horribly sometimes. I guess it’s just of it’s time. They’re read by some pretty famous actors so have still been enjoyable enough. I’m about half way through the series just now. 

1 minute ago, Internet Citizen said:

I listened to the audiobook of Matthew Perry’s book not long after it was released and thought it was very frank (in a good way) and honest. It was read by him so it made it all the more so. 

On audiobooks, I usually listen to these while driving, and started to make my way through the James Bond series last year. The stories themselves hold up quite well but Bond (Fleming?) comes across horribly sometimes. I guess it’s just of it’s time. They’re read by some pretty famous actors so have still been enjoyable enough. I’m about half way through the series just now. 

I've never actually watched Friends but I had heard that it is a really interesting read. It was very good. I might need to watch Friends now.

I have never read any of the James Bond books, but apparently Fleming was an absolute p***k of a guy.

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

I've never actually watched Friends but I had heard that it is a really interesting read. It was very good. I might need to watch Friends now.

Lots of people sneer at Friends but I watched through the whole series last quarter and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Chandler was and remains my favourite character.