Last Book You Read....

H_B

13 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka

Really interesting take on a whodunnit set against the backdrop of the Sri Lankan civil war. The title character is dead and trying to find out who killed him.

Thought this was great. It won the Booker Prize last year but I hadn’t really seen any publicity for it. 

I might get that mate. I remember you mentioning it a few pages back.

I'm in a real reading slump right now, struggling to get into anything at all. Have started about 6 books and gotten less than 50 pages in before giving up.

Anyone got any recommendations of something a bit light and fluffy that I could try to see if I can lift myself out of this?

2 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty by Patrick Radden Keefe.

Exceptional. Absolutely fascinating from start to finish.

I read it at end last year, outstanding piece of investigative writing but also disgusting the way big pharma get away with causing a huge drug addiction epidemic.

15 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty by Patrick Radden Keefe.

12 hours ago, RH33 said:

I read it at end last year, outstanding piece of investigative writing but also disgusting the way big pharma get away with causing a huge drug addiction epidemic.

Just ordered this book. Looks very interesting. 

15 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

I've just read Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver. A reworking of David Copperfield relocated to the Appalachian Virginia, it deals with addiction, poverty, and struggles of Demon, his family and community. The oxycontin passages are harrowing but overall a gripping read. Thoroughly recommend this book.

Finished The Night Manager by John Le Carre.

Took A Clockwork Orange out of my big fucking pile of unread books. I tried to read this years ago but gave up in the first chapter due to the amount of made-up words. I have managed to get to chapter 2 this time though.

I have never seen the film.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Took A Clockwork Orange out of my big fucking pile of unread books. I tried to read this years ago but gave up in the first chapter due to the amount of made-up words. I have managed to get to chapter 2 this time though.

Incredible book and film. Rare that both media provide such classics. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is another.

Just now, mathematics said:

Incredible book and film. Rare that both media provide such classics. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest is another.

I've read that book but have never seen the film. A great book though.

Enjoying A Clockwork Orange now more than I did when I gave up on it years ago.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

It took me 2-3 chapters to get used to the language but it’s a great book once you do. It’s amazing how you get used to it. 

37 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I love A Clockwork Orange. It's one of the greatest books ever written. 

It took me about 20 pages to get into the lingo.

I know now that Nadsat is a b*****dised version of Russian and other Eastern Europe languages.

Genius use of language by Burgess.

13 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I've read that book but have never seen the film. A great book though.

Enjoying A Clockwork Orange now more than I did when I gave up on it years ago.

I first saw the film at the MacBob in Stirling. Great to see it in the cinema. Excellent film.