Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 18/07/2023 at 23:03, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Finally got round to Brighton Rock by Mr G Green. A tremendously menacing read. Some writer.

Interestingly I’m now moving on to Albert Camus, but The Plague (probably another Goodwin link in there) which I bought in Shakespeare and Company in Paris earlier in the year like a massive pretentious twat.

I read Brighton Rock last year and really enjoyed it. I have been meaning to read more of Greene's work actually.

12 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Who they was - Gabriel Krauze. 

Hes on the fringes of the local Mandems in Londons, more freelance than tied down to one area.  Basically hes a c**t but hes a good writer and its a very good book.  Its honest so he deosnt seem to hold back even when he knows the reader will not be on his side at times. In saying that you can see hes also alright at times too. At times hes glorifying the life and at others he is processing the futility of that way of life and how pointless and nihilistic it is. As you would expect someone to honestly be if they let themselves

Hes got a talent for writing that grabs you from the first page. I will be getting his next book.

I received that for Christmas but have not read it yet. I keep forgetting it's there - I have a massive pile of books due to having an unfortunate habit of buying books when I have not yet finished the ones that I already have.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

I received that for Christmas but have not read it yet. I keep forgetting it's there - I have a massive pile of books due to having an unfortunate habit of buying books when I have not yet finished the ones that I already have.

Thats a good habit to have really :)

Give it a read, let me know what you think

Just now, ScotiaNostra said:

Thats a good habit to have really :)

Give it a read, let me know what you think

There are worse habits to have tbh. At least I'll never run out of things to read.

I might start that book today. I have been reading Chernobyl Prayer which is a lot of accounts of ordinary people affected by the Chernobyl disaster. Although it's interesting, it is awfully sad and depressing so might be better to dip in and out of that one. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

There are worse habits to have tbh. At least I'll never run out of things to read.

I might start that book today. I have been reading Chernobyl Prayer which is a lot of accounts of ordinary people affected by the Chernobyl disaster. Although it's interesting, it is awfully sad and depressing so might be better to dip in and out of that one. 

Chernobyl Prayer is incredibly interesting but you’re right, it’s a depressing account. I dipped in and out of it when I read it. Took me a while to read. 

On Graham Greene, I’ve read 5 of his books this year and enjoyed them all in different ways.

I’ve got another couple to read but taking a break from him and reading The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida just now. 

15 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

Chernobyl Prayer is incredibly interesting but you’re right, it’s a depressing account. I dipped in and out of it when I read it. Took me a while to read. 

On Graham Greene, I’ve read 5 of his books this year and enjoyed them all in different ways.

I’ve got another couple to read but taking a break from him and reading The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida just now. 

Which ones did you like best? I have only read Brighton Rock.

Is the book you're reading now any good? 

Currently reading "All the Way to Bantry Bay" by Benedict Kiely. 

It's about a meander by the author and some pals from the North-East of Ireland to the South-West of the island. Written in 1978 he reflects on the history of the island as he journeys at a leisurely pace. 

I've started and put down/ restarted this several times, but making a concerted effort again, and am enjoying it. 

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Which ones did you like best? I have only read Brighton Rock.

Is the book you're reading now any good? 

It depends what you’re interested in. He’s written books that’re a lighter read than Brighton Rock. Give Our Man In Havana a go, or for something more intense, try The Power and The Glory. 

I’m enjoying the book I’m currently ready. It’s a bit of a whodunnit with a twist, and set against the Sri Lankan civil war. 

9 minutes ago, Internet Citizen said:

It depends what you’re interested in. He’s written books that’re a lighter read than Brighton Rock. Give Our Man In Havana a go, or for something more intense, try The Power and The Glory. 

I’m enjoying the book I’m currently ready. It’s a bit of a whodunnit with a twist, and set against the Sri Lankan civil war. 

Thanks. I will look at those Greene books.

I Googled that book and it looks interesting. Another one to add to my list to check out.

I've been reading a load of Edward Gross books lately. How various TV shows and the like were made, with some interesting wee stories thrown in. I've read his ones on Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and James Bond. 

On 03/02/2023 at 09:09, ICTChris said:

Went to the launch of my friend's latest novel last night, In Ascension by Martin MacInnes.  Looking forward to reading it - I'm biased but I don't think there are any writers like Martin, the literary-science/speculative fiction he produces is unique.

Guardian review of the novel - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jan/22/in-ascension-by-martin-macinnes-review-a-deep-dive-into-sea-and-space

Buy it here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ascension-Martin-MacInnes/dp/1838956247

My friend's novel has been longlisted for the Booker Prize.

https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/prize-years/2023

You can read about it here -https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/books/in-ascension