Last Book You Read....

H_B

5 hours ago, mathematics said:

It was new to me but definitely one I’ll re-read over and over.

I found at reading to them stage having two or three I knew pretty much by heart and could rattle through them was great for nights I couldn't be fucked reading a story/they were exhausted but demanding a story.

The Outsider/Stranger by Albert Camus.

Albert Camus - One novel, two titles (UK vs US translation) : which one do  you think is most accurate ? | Facebook

I could relate to the main character and so connected with the book, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea I wouldn't have thought. Not a very long book. Thought provoking, tragic and quite leisurely paced. Someone told me a few years back that reading Camus was fashionable now amongst the hipster community so hopefully not giving off those vibes. 

The novel is about a man named Mersault who, after his mother's death, murders an Arabic man on a beach and is sentenced to death. Throughout the novel, Mersault is quite passive to the things around him; to his mother's death, to him shooting the Arab, and to his death sentence.

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

The Outsider/Stranger by Albert Camus.

Albert Camus - One novel, two titles (UK vs US translation) : which one do  you think is most accurate ? | Facebook

I could relate to the main character and so connected with the book, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea I wouldn't have thought. Not a very long book. Thought provoking, tragic and quite leisurely paced. Someone told me a few years back that reading Camus was fashionable now amongst the hipster community so hopefully not giving off those vibes. 

Is the stranger an alternative translation of the title of the same book? 

If it was fashionable a few years back it almost certainly won't be anymore so you should be alright on the "being mistaken for a hipster" front. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Is the stranger an alternative translation of the title of the same book? 

No idea mate. I think it has something to do with the translation. I've also read the book being called The Foreigner.

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No idea mate. I think it has something to do with the translation. I've also read the book being called The Foreigner.

Had to look it up. Britranica says:

The Stranger, enigmatic first novel by Albert Camus, published in French as L'Étranger in 1942. It was published as The Outsider in England and as The Stranger in the United States.

Which explains it i think. Translate suggests foreigner too. 

I think i prefer "Stranger" or "Foreigner" - "Outsider" does too much of the novel's work i think, like if Irvine Welsh had called his debut novel "Heroin addiction". 

Anyway I'm rambling. The reason i asked was i didn't know it was also called The Stranger and that makes more sense of one of the nihilistic angsty anthems of my early youth, Killing an Arab, by the Cure, where the lyric is "I'm the stranger" 

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

I think i prefer "Stranger" or "Foreigner" - "Outsider" does too much of the novel's work i think, like if Irvine Welsh had called his debut novel "Heroin addiction". 

Anyway I'm rambling. The reason i asked was i didn't know it was also called The Stranger and that makes more sense of one of the nihilistic angsty anthems of my early youth, Killing an Arab, by the Cure, where the lyric is "I'm the stranger" 

Nice. I hadn't really delved into the peripheral stuff. I never got into The Cure although my girlfriend seems to have liked them so wouldn't have come across that particular song but it must be a well known book that had some influence. I bought it at random in an old bookshop because I liked the cover more than anything else and wanted to read something new. It was good, liked it very much.

9 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Nice. I hadn't really delved into the peripheral stuff. I never got into The Cure although my girlfriend seems to have liked them so wouldn't have come across that particular song but it must be a well known book that had some influence. I bought it at random in an old bookshop because I liked the cover more than anything else and wanted to read something new. It was good, liked it very much.

If only Albert were still with us. Could have been the answer to United's goalkeeping problems.

19 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

I really enjoyed this. Pat Nevin comes across as a really decent guy.

Screenshot_20230716-162541~2.png

I knew he had a book out but wasn't massively interested tbh but I didn't realise Roddy Doyle was involved, probably will give it a bash now.

18 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I knew he had a book out but wasn't massively interested tbh but I didn't realise Roddy Doyle was involved, probably will give it a bash now.

Is he involved?

Is he not just quoted because he gave it a positive review?

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is he involved?

Is he not just quoted because he gave it a positive review?

Ah ffs :lol:

ETA - I totally ignored the quote and because he did Roy Keane's  2nd autobiography I assumed he was doing another.

Edited by gannonball

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

Ah ffs :lol:

ETA - I totally ignored the quote and because he did Roy Keane's  2nd autobiography I assumed he was doing another.

Yeah he has certainly done some football writing as you say.

I remember him doing a piece on the 1990 World Cup in a When Saturday Comes book called My Favourite Year, just as he was becoming a superstar author.

Finally got round to Brighton Rock by Mr G Green. A tremendously menacing read. Some writer.

Interestingly I’m now moving on to Albert Camus, but The Plague (probably another Goodwin link in there) which I bought in Shakespeare and Company in Paris earlier in the year like a massive pretentious twat.

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Finally got round to Brighton Rock by Mr G Green. A tremendously menacing read. Some writer.

Interestingly I’m now moving on to Albert Camus, but The Plague (probably another Goodwin link in there) which I bought in Shakespeare and Company in Paris earlier in the year like a massive pretentious twat.

You seem to be getting round to some classic stuff that you could have done years ago. Go for it. 

8 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

You seem to be getting round to some classic stuff that you could have done years ago. Go for it. 

No idea what’s come over me since the turn of the year. Was never been a massive reader in my youth so I figured I should get too it before the grim reaper comes calling.

Just finished Turbulence by David Szalay. 

Twelve connected stories following journeys to different places in the world with each story involving someone from the story before.

Hadn't read Szalay before but really enjoyed it. 

Who they was - Gabriel Krauze. 

Hes on the fringes of the local Mandems in Londons, more freelance than tied down to one area.  Basically hes a c**t but hes a good writer and its a very good book.  Its honest so he deosnt seem to hold back even when he knows the reader will not be on his side at times. In saying that you can see hes also alright at times too. At times hes glorifying the life and at others he is processing the futility of that way of life and how pointless and nihilistic it is. As you would expect someone to honestly be if they let themselves

Hes got a talent for writing that grabs you from the first page. I will be getting his next book.

Edited by ScotiaNostra