Last Book You Read....

H_B

4 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

Far superior...

just put aside plenty of time..

Hobbit first..

I've finally took the plunge and presently listening to a Bob Mortimer @and away' audiobook,

strange feeling and TBH missing the hard copy...

Yeah they're a bit bulky.

I did try Audible but it's just not the same as actually reading.

I can understand the appeal and convenience of being able to listen to books while going about your day without actually needing to  find the time to sit and read, but that wasn't for me. Reading is something I enjoy doing and I felt that audiobooks took that aspect away.

Edited by Richey Edwards

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah they're a bit bulky.

I did try Audible but it's just not the same as actually reading.

I probably read the LOTW book every couple of years..

I find around 20 mins a time with any book ...

the films were good but missed a lot of the backstories..

Enjoy.....

10 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

I probably read the LOTW book every couple of years..

I find around 20 mins a time with any book ...

the films were good but missed a lot of the backstories..

Enjoy.....

Yeah, I've heard that the films missed out a lot of characters and plot aspects.

Just now, mathematics said:

Do you like reading descriptions of trees? If so, yes.

What kind of trees?

On 20/08/2023 at 12:02, Bob in Denny said:

Far superior...

just put aside plenty of time..

Hobbit first..

I've finally took the plunge and presently listening to a Bob Mortimer @and away' audiobook,

strange feeling and TBH missing the hard copy...

I find audiobooks of autobiographies quite good if it’s the person reading it. Bob Mortimer’s was great. It took me time to get used to them, but I tend to listen now if I’m driving. 

On 20/08/2023 at 11:57, Richey Edwards said:

I have never read the LOTR/The Hobbit books despite enjoying the movies years ago.

Are the books worth reading?

I’ve just bought a Hobbit/LOTR book set 2nd hand from eBay, as I had a notion for something a bit different from my usual reads. If and when I get round to them, I’ll let you know how it goes. 

3 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

I find audiobooks of autobiographies quite good if it’s the person reading it. Bob Mortimer’s was great. It took me time to get used to them, but I tend to listen now if I’m driving. 

I’ve just bought a Hobbit/LOTR book set 2nd hand from eBay, as I had a notion for something a bit different from my usual reads. If and when I get round to them, I’ll let you know how it goes. 

Ironically, its on just now as I came into P&B,

growing on me this audiobook lark..

Always been a Mortimer fan...

after almost 70 years of hard copy reading, I'll teach this old dog new tricks..

mind you, I have an original kindle...

Decided to attempt to make a dent in the absolute piles of books in my collection that I have purchased but not read yet.

This weeks reads:

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Chess by Stefan Schweig 

Currently about halfway through The Honourable Schoolboy by John Le Carre.

Just now, Gnash said:

That's in my to read pile.  What did you think?

To be honest it wasn't the kind of thing I would usually read, but it was okay.

A bit too much magic realism and incest for my liking, and there are a lot of characters with the same or very similar names - which made it sometimes hard to keep track of who was who. Some parts of the story were pretty interesting though, so I did finish it.

2 hours ago, highlandmac said:

"The silence of the girls " by pat barker,a retelling of the Iliad mainly from the perspective of Achilles slave,breisis.supurb

Unexpectedly, I really enjoyed that and the first book in the (hopefully) series, 'The Women of Troy'.  Briseis is a great character.

Started reading before bed a couple of months ago, having not read much at all for a long time. Very much enjoying it. Books I’ve read so far are:

The boy who stole Atilla’s horse - Ivan Repila (novella rather than a full novel, but would thoroughly recommend)

Crossing - Pajtim Statovci (utterly depressing mostly, but interesting enough) 

Meantime - Frankie Boyle (I enjoyed it) 

The Turning Season - Michael Wagg (not quite what I expected, but some nice stories about places and football teams I’d never heard about before) 

And Away - Bob Mortimer (it’s Bob fucking Mortimer) 

A very short introduction to The Spanish civil war - Helen Graham (interesting, but probably only if, like me, you knew almost nothing about the war beforehand) 

Currently reading Terry Pratchett’s ‘Mort’ having never read anything by him before, and absolutely loving it. Have ordered a few more discworld novels already. 

The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka

Really interesting take on a whodunnit set against the backdrop of the Sri Lankan civil war. The title character is dead and trying to find out who killed him.

Thought this was great. It won the Booker Prize last year but I hadn’t really seen any publicity for it. 

Edited by Internet Citizen