Last Book You Read....

H_B

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I first saw the film at the MacBob in Stirling. Great to see it in the cinema. Excellent film.

I saw it at the showcase cinema coatbridge when it was re-released / unbanned 20 odd years ago. Saturday night main screen absolutely rammed full , at least half the audience had left within the first 30 minutes! I thought it was excellent.  Finally got round to reading the book last year , still have it on my bedside bookshelf , might just have to blast through it of an afternoon again now.  

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I saw it at the showcase cinema coatbridge when it was re-released / unbanned 20 odd years ago. Saturday night main screen absolutely rammed full , at least half the audience had left within the first 30 minutes! I thought it was excellent.  Finally got round to reading the book last year , still have it on my bedside bookshelf , might just have to blast through it of an afternoon again now.  

I remember watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas at a cinema in Sweden. Half an hour in and only 5 folk were left. Everyone else walked out. 

Loved that book, too

46 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

The latest Stephen King book, Holly. 

A recurring character from previous works, it's a really good standalone novel. Not classic King by any stretch, but given he's well into his 70s now, still an impressive effort. 

7/10. 

Holly Gibney I take it ? Loved how her character developed through the Mr Mercedes trilogy into a full blown main character in If It Bleeds.  Had a feeling that was just a taster for something bigger featuring her.  

On 15/09/2023 at 15:08, JamesP_81 said:

Holly Gibney I take it ? Loved how her character developed through the Mr Mercedes trilogy into a full blown main character in If It Bleeds.  Had a feeling that was just a taster for something bigger featuring her.  

Aye mate. Some of the other characters from the Mercedes trilogy appear, but it's her novel. The villains in this one are among King's most evil non-supernatural villains. 

10 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

Aye mate. Some of the other characters from the Mercedes trilogy appear, but it's her novel. The villains in this one are among King's most evil non-supernatural villains. 

I'll be having me some of that then . Mention of the non-supernatural villains actually just reminded me of the Institute which I felt was possibly one of his best books yet . I certainly remember it staying with me for a long time after I'd read it mainly because it was a non-supernatural villain one.  

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

I'll be having me some of that then . Mention of the non-supernatural villains actually just reminded me of the Institute which I felt was possibly one of his best books yet . I certainly remember it staying with me for a long time after I'd read it mainly because it was a non-supernatural villain one.  

One of the few I've not read yet. I'm up to 52 so far (novels, not including collections etc). Just finished Cujo for the first time tonight as it happens. Really good story. I think the only one of the classic early novels I've not read yet is Firestarter. Not read The Institute yet either. 

14 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

One of the few I've not read yet. I'm up to 52 so far (novels, not including collections etc). Just finished Cujo for the first time tonight as it happens. Really good story. I think the only one of the classic early novels I've not read yet is Firestarter. Not read The Institute yet either. 

Firestarter is excellent.

25 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm currently working my way through Auschwitz by Laurence Rees.

A very well researched and readable nonfiction book about the Nazi concentration camp.

As expected its a grim read and it's left me feeling despondent that ordinary people could be so fucking evil.

Great book! Very matter of fact and doesn’t fanny about too much with personal stories and heart-strings: just straight to the core “here’s the shit”.

47 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm currently working my way through Auschwitz by Laurence Rees.

A very well researched and readable nonfiction book about the Nazi concentration camp.

As expected its a grim read and it's left me feeling despondent that ordinary people could be so fucking evil.

He does a few books about the subject , some attached to the BBC series he's involved in , all very good reads and very well researched.

At the moment I'm reading Crazy Horse And Custer : The Parallel Lives Of Two American Warriors by Stephen Ambrose of Band Of Brothers fame. 

Basically a biography of both which leads to their eventual meeting at Little Bighorn. 

It's like reading a Ken Burns documentary , great book. 

On 15/09/2023 at 21:53, mathematics said:

The Perfect Assassin 

James Paterson

Possibly the worst book I’ve ever read. Short, “cliffhanger” chapters. Shite characters. Shite writing. Shite shite. Shite. 

By now you'll have forgotten everything about this book. They're like chewing gum - instantly gone as soon as you finish the last bit.