Last Book You Read....

H_B

17 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova. She set herself a challenge to go from complete poker beginner to competing in the WSOP main event in one year . This book chronicles her personal development along the way , a truly compelling behavioural and psychological study. Absolutely no requirement to know or care anything about poker to enjoy it . 

I hear it's a flop

12 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Inversions - Iain M. Banks - Banks and the Culture books always excellent. Very little Culture in this one though.

While still full of interesting ideas and quality prose, I’d say inversions was the book I enjoyed least out of his sci fi brand. Still better than most stuff by most other writers though. It reminded me in a lot of ways of one of the plot threads in The Bridge, the one with the castle.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

While still full of interesting ideas and quality prose, I’d say inversions was the book I enjoyed least out of his sci fi brand. Still better than most stuff by most other writers though. It reminded me in a lot of ways of one of the plot threads in The Bridge, the one with the castle.

Haven’t tried the bridge yet but it’s on my long list to get to.

favourite culture novel? Use of weapons and excession I enjoyed a lot, but still got a few to get to

5 minutes ago, SamuraiJock said:

Haven’t tried the bridge yet but it’s on my long list to get to.

favourite culture novel? Use of weapons and excession I enjoyed a lot, but still got a few to get to

Those two for me too. Excession probably shades it. 

Sounds from Heaven : The Revival on the Isle of Lewis 1949 - 1952.

41QmpYLqBEL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Scotland is largely secular, with true Christianity only being practised by a tiny minority.  The pace of change has been much slower in the Western Isles though, and that's not just because of it's remote location, but the revival which took place in the late 40s/early 50s.

The book contains testimonies of those alive at the time, and they are fascinating.

As a Christian myself, I don't truly understand what actually happened.

A charismatic Highland preacher called Duncan Campbell sailed over and started preaching the word in houses, asking people to pray for their salvation, and it went from there.  People spoke of suddenly falling to their knees at roadsides with their minds having suddenly consumed by the image of the cross, or hearing church bells in the distance and following them.

It sounds like the ways of pentacostalism than us wee frees!

Are they lying?  I don't think so.  Were they being converted in the true sense, by the holy spirit filling their hearts?  Possibly, but was this a direct result of Campbell's actions?  I'm not so sure.  I think mass hysteria could have been at play.

What is mass hysteria? (medicalnewstoday.com) 

What can't be disputed however, is that no matter the gateway, it still led to true conversions and the creation of a high-trust society that I'd have loved to be a part of.

Well worth a read folks.

Not long finished the new(ish) Irvine Welsh yin, "The Long Knives", was a decent yarn but a bit muddied around the trans rights issue, felt like he had something he wanted to say but ended up saying nothing. I reckon he must have had leftover material after being involved with the TV adaptation of "Crime", which was also pretty good.

On 17/04/2023 at 13:09, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I did. I have an eye on Brighton Rock so let me know how that goes. The missus also recommended Our Man in Havana and the Power and the Glory.

Finished Brighton Rock a couple of days ago and it’s another to recommend. 

As @coprolitesays, it’s dripping in threat from the off, and is relentlessly menacing but it kind of has to be. 

I’m on a roll with Greene so I’ve started on The Power And The Glory after the recommendations on here. 

6 hours ago, Internet Citizen said:

Finished Brighton Rock a couple of days ago and it’s another to recommend. 

As @coprolitesays, it’s dripping in threat from the off, and is relentlessly menacing but it kind of has to be. 

I’m on a roll with Greene so I’ve started on The Power And The Glory after the recommendations on here. 

Just finished Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut (another interesting if a bit weird at times concept) so will likely move on to Brighton Rock.

Been given a stack of books by my mum. Over the years my dad and I passed loads of books back and forth. He had dozens in his room when he died. Some of these are ones I gave him.

Tried reading Much Obliged, Jeeves, which is one of them. Just cannot get through it. I've read this book a few times but just cannot do it at all. 

So now about to look for new authors/books. No idea where to start. 

Finally got round to reading the last Orwell book I hadn’t yet read, The Road to Wigan Pier. Almost 100 years on and nothing of importance in the UK has changed much, with some of the attitudes described becoming more embedded in UK culture, if anything.