Last Book You Read....

H_B

2 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

Just finished Klara and the Sun.  I know that over the next few days I'll have all sorts of hidden meanings unravel in my head about the story . I see there's a film of it planned for release later in the year , interested to see how that portrays it.  

I finished that a couple of days ago. I thought it was excellent. 

I have started reading Slow Horses.

The Fisherman - John Langan 

Horror novels are coming back into fashion and this is an excellent read.

There’s an emotional depth to it that makes you care deeply for the protagonists and the scary bits work.

Shades of Lovecraft, essentially in the setting and one character, with nods here and there to Moby Dick too.

8 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Been watching the TV show.

Can’t really recommend this enough.

Having grown up in Ayrshire in the 70s it really resonated with me. Niven perfectly captures it.

It’s autobiographical, but not an autobiography, as it’s as much about his younger brother and their fractious relationship as it is about himself.

Hits all the right notes. Funny when needed whilst the subject matter, coping with suicide in the family, is as bleak as can be 

10 hours ago, Quentin Prankett said:

Only a Factory Girl by Rosie. M. Banks. Fairly light reading but a pleasant enough story.

You should try The Courtship of Lord Strathmorlick by the same author.

My book club decided to do a Smut Month for some reason, so I've been reading Icebreaker by Hannah Grace. The sex scenes are truly horrendous, but the book itself is actually quite good fun, with engaging characters. Found myself quite enjoying it as a whole.

Currently trying to get through Alan Moore's mammoth novel Jerusalem. 1293 pages. 10 chapters in, at least 5 different time periods and 10 different main characters. I think I'm enjoying it but also baffled at where this is actually going.

On 11/07/2024 at 13:17, Richey Edwards said:

Did you finish Slow Horses? what did you think? I liked it but also had no interest in reading the sequels because I don't see how the premise works beyond the first novel.

Edited by Accent-Unknown

5 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Did you finish Slow Horses? what did you think? I liked it but also had no interest in reading the sequels because I don't see how the premise works beyond the first novel.

I did finish the first book and enjoyed it, and started the second book in the series. However, it is starting to get stale now tbh. The premise has limited mileage. 

'On The Marble Cliffs'  by Ernest Junger.

Yes, the Ernest Junger who wrote the famous WW1 novel 'Storm of Steel'.  

First of all Ernest Junger is a very interesting character.  An extreme right wing bigot who hated the Nazi's because they weren't aristocratic enough, cultured enough, or intellectually coherent enough.  Fair to say he was a pretty difficult fellow to pin down and one who was one of life's ultimate contrarians.

As regards the novel, it reads like one third Teutonic fairy tale, one third Greek myth and one third David Lynch fever dream.

It's high brow, sophisticated, cultured, written in beautiful lyrical prose and one of the most violent books I've ever read.

The story concerns a romanticised Mediterranean world, a sort of idyllic Aeolian paradise, which comes to be threatened by evil forces from the North marshalled by the heinous Head Forrester (read Hitler).

Short and great and therefore recommended (if you like that sort of thing).

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Working my way through the new Irvine Welsh crime series book and Ray Lennox is in a relationship with a very open minded lady who is a concrete scientist. @Melanius Mullarkey

She sounds quite the catch. Irvine been lurking on P&B IMO.

Hang on, she’s not also addicted to fags is she?

On 23/07/2024 at 23:23, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hang on, she’s not also addicted to fags is she?

Turns out her business partner/investor is also into concrete and has an abandoned concrete factory. This is the lair in which he carries out all his heinous sex crimes and murders.

Definitive proof that Welsh reads P&B and has you marked as one for the watching.

Just finished The Dark Forest, the 2nd book of The 3 Body Problem series.

Genuinely one of the most thrilling, and best story written books I've ever read. Absolutely brilliant, it the next is anywhere near as good I'll be ecstatic.