Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Dirt - Motley Crue. :ph34r:

I thought I was genuinely too old and gnarly to be shocked anymore, but blinking flip if this didn't have my eyeballs on stalks. Normally there is an element of vicarious thrill to hard-living rock memoirs, but at absolutely no point did I want to be in their unwashed skin-tight leather breeks. :yucky

A truly astonishing book. Unflinchingly honest, toe-curlingly ghastly, as well as being starkly insightful and surprisingly touching in places.

u think its shocking,read nikki sixx heroin diaries,its more shocking what that guy put himself thru,i somehow managed to end up with 2 copies,iam suprised he can still write songs and play bass,the amountof abuse his bodies had

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't payed it a vist for a long time, but Tills Bookshop on Hope Park Terrace (near The Meadows, parallel to Clerk St) certainly used to be a great wee shop.

Edinburgh's does have a fair choice of second hand book shops throughout the city though, the names of which escape me at the moment.

Cheers for that, Mel, 'tis a start :)

I finished Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby today. I've generally stayed away from football books, but I'm starting to wonder why. Written by an Arsenal fan about the heavy influence football's had on him since he attended his first game - raised a smile quite often as I worked my way through, and then had a wee fit of laughter towards the end over something very childish indeed. Well worth a read.

I'll be moving onto the Hogfather by Terry Pratchett now, then the Night of Wishes. My girlfriend's told me I have to read both by Christmas to try and get me in the right mood for the time of year.

The Damned United - Dave Peace 7/10

Good effort from a young author, real page turner with a lot of insights into football and managers which show a side of football which isn't covered by the media. Brian Clough's personality is explored well and its quite emotive - though you see the bad sides of his personality, you come to appreciate his philosophy on life.

Just about finishing The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins, absolutely fantastic, but won't be everyone's cup of tea. In the last couple of weeks have also read Just Duffy, Childish Things, The Changeling and The Pearl Fishers, all by Jenkins.

Jenkins, for me, is probably one of the finest writers Scotland has produced.

The one book by Jenkins that I can't seem to lay my hands on is Fergus Lamont, so if anyone's got a copy kicking about, let me know.

Edited by oddjob

Just about finishing The Cone-Gatherers by Robin Jenkins, absolutely fantastic, but won't be everyone's cup of tea. In the last couple of weeks have also read Just Duffy, Childish Things, The Changeling and The Pearl Fishers, all by Jenkins.

Jenkins, for me, is probably one of the finest writers Scotland has produced.

The one book by Jenkins that I can't seem to lay my hands on is Fergus Lamont, so if anyone's got a copy kicking about, let me know.

The Changeling is a fantastic book, really well written

The Changeling is a fantastic book, really well written

If you enjoyed it, you really should try Childish Things, The Cone-Gatherers and Just Duffy. After that, you'll want to read the rest of his books. The Thistle and the Grail is a fantastic book about football, class and religion. Happy reading.

Pan ~ Knut Hamsun

This is the first novel of the Norwegian Hamsun that I've read, and I was really impressed.

It's the story of a hunter called Lieutenant Thomas Glahn who lives alone in a hut in the Northernmost reaches of Norway and his infatuation, for want of a better word, with the insufferably fickle Edwarda. It's beautifully written and really captures the frustration Glahn feels regarding the object of his affection. Mind you Glahn himself is a somewhat strange, socially awkward character, who is compelled to behave completely irrationally at times.

Much of the book is comprised of Glahn's internal dialogue, which was by all accounts fairly radical for a novel written in 1894. It's also loaded with symbolism, particularly with regards to the lengthy descriptions of nature and the changing of the seasons.

Hamsun was a somewhat, shall we say, interesting character, particularly with regards to his political sympathies. He was a fascist who supported Germany during the 2nd World War, and it's occupation of Norway, and after Hitlers death described him as a 'warrior for mankind' in an obituary. The rascal. These actions led to him being charged with treason, although it was subsequently dropped due to him being found to have 'lasting weakened mental capacities' after he'd been confined to a psychiatric hospital.

He's a brilliant writer though.

The Discworld books are generally just brilliant.

Yes.

Yes they are :)

I bought 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger on recommendation from MarreZ.

Synopsis

It is an unconventional love story that centers on a man with a strange genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time-travel, and his wife, an artist who has to cope with his frequent absences and dangerous experiences. The story is set in Chicago and South Haven, New Michigan.

Very good read and thought it was a solid 8/10 for me.

I'll definitely be reading it again :)

Lovely stuff :)

Edited by MattBairn

Just finished The Hogfather, my first Discworld book, and I have to say, I enjoyed that. I'm a fan of these light-hearted efforts, and anyone that can turn Death into a likeable character deserves credit.

Id say that Death is probably my favourite Discworld character. :)

'Thief of Time' was my first Discworld book and I loved it.

Although Ive enjoyed every one that Ive read :)