Last Book You Read....

H_B

24 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

I'm reading one the Logan MacRae ones. Don't even know the title, was given three, just started with the first to hand. I didn't read the Rebus ones (only read 5 or 6) in any order either though. f**k the system, or something.

You'll go to the bad fire.

It was by pure chance I did with Logan MacRae, my sister gave me Cold Granite - I was hooked and then sourced and read the others. With Rebus - my dad has them all, I just borrowed three at a time and worked my way through them.

Edited by Kennboy1978

On 4.6.2017 at 00:52, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've been back to Fopp and bought Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre, Kill Your Friends by John Niven, On the Road by Jack Kerouac (the actual novel, not the original scroll I read a few weeks ago), Island by Aldous Huxley and The Acid House by Irvine Welsh.

Kill Your Friends is a tremendous read, as was his second book The Amateurs. Not been overly impressed by any of his work since. Only one there I haven't read is Island. The others mentioned are all worth reading through.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just finished the latest Rebus book "Rather be the Devil", which as usual was very good.

I'm now at a bit of a loss for something to read on the train in the morning.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Finished that on Friday while flying home. Bought one of the older Rebus books(A Question of Blood) and a couple of McIlvanney efforts(Laidlaw, and The Papers of Tony Veitch) at Edinburgh Airport before flying back. Spent almost the entirety of my time home in pubs so didn't get round to going book shopping.

You'll go to the bad fire.
It was by pure chance I did with Logan MacRae, my sister gave me Cold Granite - I was hooked and then sourced and read the others. With Rebus - my dad has them all, I just borrowed three at a time and worked my way through them.

No doubt about that, there's a multitude of reasons though so I'd be surprised if not reading books in order is even mentioned.
I think it might actually be Cold Granite I'm reading!

I read a John Grisham book on holiday a couple of years back, was an enjoyable story but didn't understand all the intricacies with it being around the American court and law system.

Just read 'The Time Machine' by H. G. Wells.

Pretty creepy. Almost a horror novel rather than science fiction. 

The impressive thing was the last H. G. Wells book I read was 'The History of Mr Polly' which is a really good comic novel.  This man Wells was versatile.

Last book I finished was 'Conclave' by Robert Harris.

Excellent read centred around a papal election in the near future through the eyes of a senior cardinal. Harris got off the record details from an anonymous cardinal on how it all works so you get a very authentic account of all the pomp and ceremony of the process.

Superb page turner and had me genuinely excited about seeing the results of each ballot.

The ending genuinely shocked me by its sheer ridiculousness but in all, a thoroughly enjoyable read

I've been getting itchy feet waiting for the second installment in James Ellroy's Second American Quartet of books so have been snaffling up any noir-ish things from that era. Went through a few Dennis Lehane books. Moody 1920s-1950s Boston-Florida gangster stuff. 

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

I've been getting itchy feet waiting for the second installment in James Ellroy's Second American Quartet of books so have been snaffling up any noir-ish things from that era. Went through a few Dennis Lehane books. Moody 1920s-1950s Boston-Florida gangster stuff. 

I used to read Elmore Leonard between Ellroy books as a bit of light relief. Very different but great at getting inside nasty people in a comic way.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I used to read Elmore Leonard between Ellroy books as a bit of light relief. Very different but great at getting inside nasty people in a comic way.

I've read about half of his now too and know what you mean as it's like there is a slight link with the crime capers - like a pre-watershed Ellroy. I've not read any of the Westerns yet. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Better than you'd think. The heroes are all similar to the good guys in the crime books.

I'm sure they are - I'm just a creature of habit and tend to exhaust one genre or series then on to the next. 

The Dennis Lehane (think he was a writer on Boardwalk Empire) gangster books are a bit more Ellroy-ish. Sadly there are not many of them. He said he got sick of writing about characters without mobile phones etc but his modern day stuff like The Drop and Mystic River is strong too.

No doubt about that, there's a multitude of reasons though so I'd be surprised if not reading books in order is even mentioned.

I think it might actually be Cold Granite I'm reading!

I read a John Grisham book on holiday a couple of years back, was an enjoyable story but didn't understand all the intricacies with it being around the American court and law system.

Update; it's Dark Blood I'm reading. About a 3rd of the way through. Starting to get right in to it. Would recommend.

Edit: it's the 6th in the series...again, f**k the system. And a character called Tony has just been introduced. Will let everyone know if it's a nickname in due course.

Right into Orwell just now, finished Keep the Aspidistra Flying last night, had to put it down at times as the protagonist was a complete arsehole. A very enjoyable read in the end.

21 hours ago, NorthernJambo said:

Just started my first Stuart MacBride book, enjoying it so far. Was put on to then after reading a few Rebus books@KnightswoodBear

21 hours ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Plus one for MacBribe, read all his police style novels and Halfhead was enjoyable too. Humour, disgust and whodunnit all rolled into one.  There was one I found particularly hard to read about a chilled killer, the description of the murdered kids was quite...well...descriptive to say the least.

Started on the first one "Cold Granite" on the way home yesterday.  It's the one you're talking about Kennyboy, with the child killer.  I'm only 40 or 50 pages in and i've wanted to curl up and cry twice already.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Started on the first one "Cold Granite" on the way home yesterday.  It's the one you're talking about Kennyboy, with the child killer.  I'm only 40 or 50 pages in and i've wanted to curl up and cry twice already.

There are a couple with child killers, even in his Ash Henderson novels too. I know what you mean but there is some light relief with his ding dongs with Steel, which lighten the mood a bit.

22 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just finished the latest Rebus book "Rather be the Devil", which as usual was very good.

I'm now at a bit of a loss for something to read on the train in the morning.  Anyone got any suggestions?

I see you've already had a recommendation for Stuart MacBride but once you're through that if you haven't read Craig Robertson's stuff it's quite good. Most of them are a series about a police crime scene photographer, read them in order as the characters all repeat and develop. There are, I think, two stand alone novels too. Good Glasgow humour in them and decent reading.

I tried to read Cold Granite but couldn't get past the first few pages. It just seemed a bit lazy compared with other books in the genre. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but it just didn't seem real in the way Rebus or the Jo Nesbo books do.

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

I tried to read Cold Granite but couldn't get past the first few pages. It just seemed a bit lazy compared with other books in the genre. Maybe I need to give it more of a chance but it just didn't seem real in the way Rebus or the Jo Nesbo books do.

I was the same - had a few folk give me his books, thinking I'd be into them and never been able to get more than a couple of pages in. Maybe I should persevere? 

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I was the same - had a few folk give me his books, thinking I'd be into them and never been able to get more than a couple of pages in. Maybe I should persevere? 

I was the same as you two with it. Persevered to the end but never been inclined to go back and read any of his other stuff.

The End of the Party by Andrew Rawnsley.
Very interesting read, (that's also quite scary!) about the rise and fall of New Labour.

I found that quite enjoyable, incredible how much inside information he got, particularly regarding the relationship between Blair and Brown.