Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 28/06/2020 at 19:49, DiegoDiego said:

My thoughts exactly.

Talking of '80s USA, I might give Bonfire of the Vanities another read.

Bright lights big city by Jay Mcinerney is my favourite 80s American book.

The michael j fox film was shite though.

Bret Easton Ellis lampooned Mcinerney in some ways, to the extent that he even "stole" some of the characters.

On 28/06/2020 at 12:54, Perkin Flump said:

Watership Down, read it several times through my life but bloody hell that is one dark book.

I first listened to this via a Book on Tape (yeah it was that long ago) while commuting. I remember arriving at work one day but then driving round and round the block to hear the end of a chapter. I was thinking "I can't believe I'm making myself late for work because I need to find out who wins a fight between two rabbits." 😀

On 28/06/2020 at 12:16, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

American Psycho

Can see what Easton Ellis is trying to say, and his depictions of violence etc certainly hold your attention in a very visceral way, but overall not enjoying this massively. All the long descriptions of what everyone is wearing get quite tedious after a while, and the lack of a coherent plot isn't great. I also in general think that repeatedly referencing pop culture and brands etc is in most cases a fairly cheap trick in novels, and this isn't changing my mind. One of relatively few examples where the film is better than the book imo. Have 80-odd pages to go, hoping to finish it tonight. 

And I listened to this one via Book on CD (moving with the times.) I hadn't seen the film at that point but having heard so much about it, I was looking forward to the book on a long road trip. But then my impression was much the same as yours. If I'd been reading a physical book, I think I would've been skipping quite a few pages. Something I rarely do.

On 28/06/2020 at 12:54, Perkin Flump said:

Watership Down, read it several times through my life but bloody hell that is one dark book.

I first listened to this via a Book on Tape (yeah it was that long ago) while commuting. I remember arriving at work one day but then driving round and round the block to hear the end of a chapter. I was thinking "I can't believe I'm making myself late for work because I need to find out who wins a fight between two rabbits." 😀

On 28/06/2020 at 12:16, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

American Psycho

Can see what Easton Ellis is trying to say, and his depictions of violence etc certainly hold your attention in a very visceral way, but overall not enjoying this massively. All the long descriptions of what everyone is wearing get quite tedious after a while, and the lack of a coherent plot isn't great. I also in general think that repeatedly referencing pop culture and brands etc is in most cases a fairly cheap trick in novels, and this isn't changing my mind. One of relatively few examples where the film is better than the book imo. Have 80-odd pages to go, hoping to finish it tonight. 

And I listened to this one via Book on CD (moving with the times.) I hadn't seen the film at that point but having heard so much about it, I was looking forward to the book on a long road trip. But then my impression was much the same as yours. If I'd been reading a physical book, I think I would've been skipping quite a few pages. Something I rarely do.

Anyway; I just finished "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed, the book on which the Reese Witherspoon film of the same name. is based. Woman sees her life go off the rails following the death of her mother. Grief, heroin, multiple infidelities ending in the break up of her marriage. So, despite having not the slightest experience and with no conditioning, she decides to hike over eleven hundred miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, south to north in the western US.

She flips back and forth between her experiences on the trail and flashbacks to tell her earlier story, warts and all. At first she can only manage one mile an hour but despite her numerous mistakes and misfortunes, we get to see her evolution and eventual redemption  

Not a wumman's book in any sense. Recommended.

Edited by Shotgun

On 03/07/2020 at 09:28, Monkey Tennis said:

I finished Broken Greek by Pete Paphides during the week.

By Christ, it was good.  A sort of Fever Pitch through music, but more successful.  Healthily, for a work by a music critic, this biography arrives, devoid of any snobbery, displaying huge regard for decidedly uncool bands like Abba and even Racey for God's sake, alongside others his older brother would consider acceptable.

I heard the serialisation of this on Radio 4. It was  read, I think, by the author. Going to buy it after your review.

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Is this a don't be rude to tories or we'll end up like North Korea thing?  

Nah, be rude to me cos I deserve it for being such a twat, just a general be nice to others thing. I read it years ago but didn't really take it in, it is horrific what people will do to other human beings because of simple beliefs.

58 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Nah, be rude to me cos I deserve it for being such a twat, just a general be nice to others thing. I read it years ago but didn't really take it in, it is horrific what people will do to other human beings because of simple beliefs.

Not at all man, I've rarely seen you act a twat. I think it's a wee bit of a stretch to compare the two things is all. Book has been on my to read list for a while so will take a look! 

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Not at all man, I've rarely seen you act a twat. I think it's a wee bit of a stretch to compare the two things is all. Book has been on my to read list for a while so will take a look! 

I'm not precious whatsoever, I have been a twat so pop away. It is a harrowing read, I honestly can't understand how the author can be so ambivelant towards others who have treated him and his family so badly.

Just finished re-reading The Traitor and The Monster by Seth Dickinson as a refresher for The Tyrant which comes out next month. Basically a fantasy series about a savant trying to bring down an oppressive empire from within after her home is conquered and irrevocably changed. It's really good! The first book has one of the best twists I've read in years which is where I think the Game of Thrones comparisons come from but unlike that series this definitely has an end in sight. The second one is a bit more reflective and sometimes acts as a more blatant vehicle for the author's politics but it works well within the setting that it still remains good. 

On 28/06/2020 at 19:16, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

American Psycho

Have to agree with everyone else about this. I ended up not finishing it. Found the violence was over the top and like you say the endless minute detail dragged. 

Recently read “Night boat to Tangier”, a bit difficult to get into it at first with the writing style however ended up being a thoroughly enjoyable read. The other book I can strongly recommend is “A gentleman in Moscow”. Really enjoyed that for the setting and the story around it, found it very engaging. 

Does anyone have a good recommendation on an easy reading introduction to Irish history, the Easter rising etc.? It’s a subject I’m quite interested in, however I’ve read nothing about it.