Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 28/07/2024 at 16:03, Florentine_Pogen said:

The late Catalan architect Ricardo Bofill bought a disused cement works and transformed it into his studio and family home.

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/ricardo-bofill-visions-of-architecture

bofill.jpeg.b0244a468589755e7c89dcf855ef39e6.jpeg

2-24.webp

Died from “complications due to Covid”. His lungs were probably full of respirable silica.

I finished the Heir to the Empire trilogy by Timothy Zahn last night.
Wish Disney had borrowed some of these books for the sequel trilogy instead of what they actually done. 

Ready Player one is up next for me then 1984 which I’ve been meaning to read for years

Edited by Central Belt Caley

57 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Wish Disney had borrowed some of these books for the sequel trilogy instead of what they actually done. 

Ready Player one is up next for me then 1984 which I’ve been meaning to read for years

1984. You won’t be disappointed. 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

1984 is easily in my top 5 all time reads.  A multiple re-read one for me.  

On 08/08/2024 at 20:48, Central Belt Caley said:

On 08/08/2024 at 21:47, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

On 08/08/2024 at 23:04, JamesP_81 said:

Interesting, I was gonna say you shouldn't bother. You'd have to live under a rock to not already know quite a lot about its themes and message, and Orwell's prose is as usual pretty poor.

On 08/08/2024 at 21:47, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

On 08/08/2024 at 23:04, JamesP_81 said:

I recently did Audible's full cast audio drama adaptation of 1984 and found it absolutely brilliant. The full book is definitely on my to read list now, fascinated to see how it is as a full novel.

Gray After Dark by Noelle W. Ihli.

Enjoyable thriller. Grilling story and both likeable and despicable characters.

And

The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte.

Really interesting. I loved dinosaurs when I was wee and am still fascinated by them now. Really well written and I learned a lot.

Catcher in the Rye, J.D Sallinger.

An American classic apparently, but it did not grab my attention. It was probably more relevant in its day I suppose.

That being said The Grapes of Wrath was set in a very specific American historical period and I absolutely loved it.

Just finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie .

Not sure what to make of it and really struggled to get into it for large parts. In the foreword he mentions that he wrote it in a way to try and recreate the chaotic and overcrowded nature of India, which he certainly does , tho for me large parts of that just came across as total gibberish! Unsure if this is standard to his writing style or unique to this book but it has made me think twice about delving into some more of his work.  

Edited by JamesP_81

25 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Just finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie .

Not sure what to make of it and really struggled to get into it for large parts. In the foreword he mentions that he wrote it in a way to try and recreate the chaotic and overcrowded nature of India, which he certainly does , tho for me large parts of that just came across as total gibberish! Unsure if this is standard to his writing style or unique to this book but it has made me think twice about delving into some more of his work.  

IIRC some of his work in the 80s had mixed reviews...

On 20/08/2024 at 07:27, DonnieMurdo said:

Catcher in the Rye, J.D Sallinger.

An American classic apparently, but it did not grab my attention. It was probably more relevant in its day I suppose.

That being said The Grapes of Wrath was set in a very specific American historical period and I absolutely loved it.

10 points for anyone who can remember how this book was controversially involved in a 1980 incident.