Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Beady Eye songs...

AberdeenHibee

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Meh folk enjoy it. Up to them.

My worry would be what if it’s shit. All this hype all this cash and it could be very meh, I was dragged along to see Noel Gallagher once and he clearly couldn’t be arsed being there.

Did he not like you then?

I thought I'd have a slight chance of tickets, but as the week went on people who in work etc who "didn't give a shit" about Oasis on Monday are interested in tickets.

Will try in any case.    

The 7 days between Wembley dates will all be reserved 100%.  Heaton Park also has the week between weekends.  They aren’t packing up to set it all up again.

Cardiff, Dublin and Edinburgh will have likely three extra reserved dates too.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

You can always rely on the Guardian to produce a piece that basically says "the thing that you like is actually very very bad".

If you'd showed me that article without the banner and author's name, my first question would be 'have you just copied and pasted this from The Guardian?'

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

You can always rely on the Guardian to produce a piece that basically says "the thing that you like is actually very very bad".

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If you'd showed me that article without the banner and author's name, my first question would be 'have you just copied and pasted this from The Guardian?'

Yesterday, The Guardian had 3 or 4 separate stories on this earth shattering news. Perhaps you can let us know what The Daily Heil and The Express puff pieces are

saying.

I'm a big Oasis fan but thought that was actually a half decent article. Didn't fall back on lazy musical cliches.

I wonder what people think about this in the headline though, "Oasis are the most damaging pop-cultural force in recent British history"? I was a bit young but was of the opinion that lad culture was coming through anyway and Oasis were the perfect band for the time. If they don't appear, do Pulp and the Manics (maybe Suede) become the biggest bands in the UK and culture shifts more in line with their attitudes? I'm not convinced, but interested!

Edited by The Holiday Song

27 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Yesterday, The Guardian had 3 or 4 separate stories on this earth shattering news. Perhaps you can let us know what The Daily Heil and The Express puff pieces are

saying.

Just Google Daily Mail/Express Oasis you lazy b*****d.

7 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

I wonder what people think about this in the headline though, "Oasis are the most damaging pop-cultural force in recent British history"? I was a bit young but was of the opinion that lad culture was coming through anyway.

Yeah, the likes of Loaded magazine and Chris Evans were already around before they hit it big.

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yeah, the likes of Loaded magazine and Chris Evans were already around before they hit it big.

But if Oasis don't come along, does that "lad culture" that was a bit more in its infancy then develop differently? If Loaded and Chris Evans are more into Suede and the Manics, does it become a movement that encompasses a wider group of folk... or nothing really changes? 

This of course might overstating how big "lad culture" really was. I have no idea!

Croke Park tickets have been announced as starting at €86.50. You'd imagine the other venues will fall in line with that.

Edited by Al B

SImon Price wrote a great book about the Manics and he was an entertaining writer for Melody Maker back in the day but that article is silly.  It does the same thing that loads of people seem to be doing now - making up other people to be angry about.  The idea that Oasis fans are all "flag shaggers" and Reform voters is very silly. 

Edited by ICTChris

7 minutes ago, The Holiday Song said:

But if Oasis don't come along, does that "lad culture" that was a bit more in its infancy then develop differently? If Loaded and Chris Evans are more into Suede and the Manics, does it become a movement that encompasses a wider group of folk... or nothing really changes? 

This of course might overstating how big "lad culture" really was. I have no idea!

Maybe. I remember reading a review of Blur's 'Girls & Boys' in the NME that thought it was being pastiche-y and rounded off with 'if this is a hit, they'll never have another one'. It wasn't taken as being pastiche-y and became a big wooh-lager track in student unions and indie discos all over the shop. That hit in March 1994 - a month before Supersonic dropped - so the ground was hugely fertile for that sort of stuff. One could maybe argue that grebo/fraggle/whatever you wanna call it was the last UK scene before Britpop, and even then it was much looser - bands like Carter and the Senseless Things didn't have much in common bar they were English and had guitars - but maybe it was in its infancy then, with Carter gigs being pretty drunken affairs and the ritual chanting of 'you fat b*****d' at Jon Fat Beast to open the shows; it was perhaps a bit lairier than the actual music would have you think. 

f**k me I'm really old. 

46 minutes ago, Al B said:

Croke Park tickets have been announced as starting at €86.50. You'd imagine the other venues will fall in line with that.

Still a lotta money to see a tribute band.

Edit - plus booking fee.

Edited by btb