If Ebola Reached Scotland...

...and other nations effectively quarantined the UK from that or any other real nasty deadly contagious disease (e.g. another outbreak of plague), how much would you be kacking it and what the hell would you do? Stay where you are, run away to your auntie's in Shetland for a short-notice holiday, run to the hills with the tent and a rucksack of baked beans? What about if you were around during the plague? It mystifies me why people back then not only thought that they'd be safer staying at home in the cities, but why people flocked to them in their thousands to die a grim death.

I'm not expecting anyone to come to the UK from Uganda and then suddenly develop signs over here, spreading it all over the Glasgow subway and infecting half of Glasgow but I always remember a documentary at the end of my 28 Days Later DVD. The general gist was that we're well overdue a massive outbreak virus, especially more so with the ease of travelling around the world these days and that's always kind of had me a bit edgy seeing as my generation has had a pretty easy ride compared to those before me.

If the news even mentions there's a chance of a petrol strike / shortage (i.e. something tiny in comparison), the country goes into a mass panic... then there were the North London riots after one shooting. Would British society crumble within days? unsure.gif

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live close to the harbour up here so i would just jump on one of the oil rigs or on a boat and wait for it to bloe over, sorted!

Hmmm, risky. What if one of the infected got on board with you. What you gonna do when the chopper leaves, swim?!

...and other nations effectively quarantined the UK from that or any other real nasty deadly contagious disease (e.g. another outbreak of plague), how much would you be kacking it and what the hell would you do? Stay where you are, run away to your auntie's in Shetland for a short-notice holiday, run to the hills with the tent and a rucksack of baked beans? What about if you were around during the plague? It mystifies me why people back then not only thought that they'd be safer staying at home in the cities, but why people flocked to them in their thousands to die a grim death.

I'm not expecting anyone to come to the UK from Uganda and then suddenly develop signs over here, spreading it all over the Glasgow subway and infecting half of Glasgow but I always remember a documentary at the end of my 28 Days Later DVD. The general gist was that we're well overdue a massive outbreak virus, especially more so with the ease of travelling around the world these days and that's always kind of had me a bit edgy seeing as my generation has had a pretty easy ride compared to those before me.

If the news even mentions there's a chance of a petrol strike / shortage (i.e. something tiny in comparison), the country goes into a mass panic... then there were the North London riots after one shooting. Would British society crumble within days? unsure.gif

Top of Saline Hill for me. I still have an axe up there, and I would rather take my chances with the Saline Hill Puma than Ebola.

With human rights issues so sensitive and PC, could the government get away with a 28DL-style cull of the infected? I wonder how long it would take for something like that to be eradicated in a nation of 60million, even if this was allowed.

As for me, I'd stock up the flat, top up the phone, keep the windows shut and take my chances where I am. It's no time to be a hero.

ETA: It's actually probably the perfect time to be a hero. I'm just not the man for the job.

I suppose the bad news in the event of some kind of Ebola outbreak is that you can't really make a heroic last stand and go down swinging. If its some zombies you can opt for a cool as shit death where you charge a pack of them selflessly, wielding a fire axe.

What's the Ebola equivilant to that. Rub your bell end round the rim of an Ebola filled Petri dish?

Archived